Useless auto electricians

trade4us2, Feb 12, 10:47pm
I've been wondering for years why I occasionally get a brake warning light error when all the lights work.
I just discovered that the auto electician who replaced the high-stop light didn't crimp the wire properly into the connecting plug. It was just sitting there loose. If I used the brakes and went over a bump, I'd get a warning message.

johnf_456, Feb 12, 10:55pm
Unfortunately everyone makes mistakes from time even the best professionals. If anyone has not made a mistake they are lying

trade4us2, Feb 12, 11:03pm
On the same occasion the auto electrician failed to plug an ignition coil lead on properly, causing misfiring, and he must have tightened up the 6mm bolts into bakelite up with an air spanner, breaking half the nuts and lugs. I found bits of broken lugs down the bottom of the spark plug holes.

rpvr, Feb 13, 1:00am
genuine mistakes are ok if admitted to and not charged for. It shouldn't be a battle to get money back.

neoslowmo, Feb 13, 1:17am
Now thats just BS - I bet he didn't say a thing about it either

trade4us2, Feb 13, 2:48am
My mechanic sent the car to the auto electrician, who did such a bad job that I asked my mechanic to never send my car there again. I showed my mechanic all the broken bits, and a photo of the wire not attached to the coil.
I've had a look for the photos but can't find them on my new computer yet.
And today I discovered that the auto electrician had also made a bodge of the only other job he did. I have never met the auto electrician and I don't want to. I did not ask for my money back.

bigfatmat1, Feb 13, 3:36am
That will not cause a brake warning light to trigger however wiring it on the wrong side of a controller will! so fault is probably still there! jyou have probably disturbed something else in the process.

scoobeey, Feb 13, 3:42am
Try mechanic wiring up jakes wrong causing 5k damage!

joanie32, Feb 13, 3:44am
Ive struggled with auto sparkies. recently had onetell me there wasnothing hecould do as the ring gear must bestripped on our fork lift. Sent to mechanic who replaced starter lead and never had another problem

joanie32, Feb 13, 3:45am
Ive struggled with auto sparkies. recently had onetell me there wasnothing hecould do as the ring gear must bestripped on our fork lift. Sent to mechanic who replaced starter lead and never had another problem.

trade4us2, Feb 13, 4:37am
The warning was for the rear brake light. There are two low brake lights and a high-stop light. If any of those are blown, there is a warning message that says something like "Brake Light fail".

bigfatmat1, Feb 13, 6:43am
Yes you also state he wired it badly which would indicate its aftermarket high stop. So only two brake lights would affect the w/l not the high stop. The high stop would however affect the w/l if it is wired incorrectly ie after the bulb failure module.

bigfatmat1, Feb 13, 6:48am
just curious what they did! Forget the low rev cut out bend a crankshaft

scoobeey, Feb 13, 8:27am
Popped a pistonand massive head damage .tryin to prove pfft waste of time

trade4us2, Feb 13, 9:30am
It's not an aftermarket high stop. It was just one with a wire poked into a connector and not crimped up properly. 99% of the time it worked OK and no warning message was shown.

supernova2, Feb 13, 11:59am
So if its not aftermarket it must be OE so therefore the connecting plug was factory fitted and not the fault of the sparky.You seem to have a lot of problems that need a sparky.I'd say the vaste majority of moden cars might see a sparky once in ten years and then its for some obscure sensor problem not coil leads and Hi stops etc

trade4us2, Feb 13, 8:21pm
The sparky most definitely chopped off the original connecting plugs and fitted his own, and didn't crimp the wire properly into one of the plugs.

elect70, Feb 13, 10:19pm
When I had XJ^ jagthe AE asked me to supply him with wiring diagram to fix thewindscreenwipers!