Hi chaps, Please give your advice on Honda O/desy

jills3, Feb 13, 6:34am
1999, approx. 190,000 km, $2,000.Is this a reasonable price/car for me
an oldish lady.Or do you think I will be buying problems,this car is a friend selling.If you think its fair,I will get a mechanic to check it out, thank you.

jmma, Feb 13, 6:38am
How long has your friend had this car and do you know if they have had it serviced regularly !

thejazzpianoma, Feb 13, 6:39am
Odyssey's area nice car for the money but do suffer one key flaw. The automatic transmissions don't tend to last well, especially if not serviced. If the transmission fails it will cost more than the car is worth to fix.

However, for 2K you don't have a lot to lose.

Best of luck with it.

jills3, Feb 13, 6:44am
Thank you jmma and thejazzpianoma for replies,hubby has just gone to friends place to bring the car home so we can have a good look at it,I will ask about when it was serviced etc but do they have the paper work to back it up,easy to say serviced regularly,thanks again.

lisapisa2, Feb 13, 6:45am
We had our 1997 odyssey for more than 8 years & never had any problems with our auto transmission (never serviced that either) they are great cars.We just upgraded to a newer model

jmma, Feb 13, 6:50am
$2000 is a reasonable price and if they are good friends, I don't think they would sell you a dunga.

woody1946, Feb 13, 6:56am
I understand its the V6 model that has transmission problems

kazbanz, Feb 13, 7:05am
jills2 -Is there a reason you are looking at an Odyssey!
Although in their day they really were the very best vehicle on the market for their intended purpose the 2.3l Vtec version is still onlya 3.5 star rated vehicle --Ie it costs about $2800 a year to run if you do 14000km a year.I disagree with Jazz regarding the gearboxes in the 2.3l version. They don't blow up regularly.
The 3.0l V6 version is a different story.worse fuel economy especially around town and yes the gearbox in that model is prone to failure.
Also at 190000km either or is only a few thousand Km away from needing the cambelts (they have two),crank/cam seals and water pump replaced. That will cost around $800
Now if it is a people mover you need then thats a pretty good deal --if not theres better alternatives

thejazzpianoma, Feb 13, 7:06am
The V6 is worse, at those km's either will be on borrowed time if not replaced already.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 13, 7:12am
I seem to recall a similar disagreement regarding Honda Jazz's, apparently then the tiptronic box was not the same as the regular CVT and plenty reliable.

Realistically OP, at those km's most auto's of that age unless serviced are going to be the most likely thing to have an expensive failure on any car of that age. The Honda though is on the more likely for that to happen end of the spectrum.

But like I said, its cheap and most 2K cars are going to carry some risk. Worst case scenario is it breaks and you sell the car for $500 losing $1500 in the process. Its not a bad gamble.

If you don't need such a big car you could always get something manual and fairly simple if you don't like the sound of that much risk.

kazbanz, Feb 13, 7:43pm
Do you really want to drag up incorrect statements.I think its fair to say you are sitting at 10 to 1 against me.
incidently -that volvo LITERALLY spends more time in the workshop than it does on the road.