Diesel oil in a petrol

xs1100, Feb 20, 7:27am
was talking to a mechanic today and he was saying on his own cars when he gets them (especially imports) that he replaces the oil filter and runs diesel oil in them for 5000ks and then replaces filter and oil with petrol oil asked him why and apparently all the detergents in the deisel oil cleans them up a lot better than engine flushes and the like just wondering .got a pulsar (import) done 120ks and due for a oil change

thejazzpianoma, Feb 20, 7:33am
You want to be very careful doing that. If the engine is quite cruddy inside you can wind up with all that much blocking the oil pickup and frying your engine. Seen it happen.
Otherwise, the oil will probably do no harm, the detergents certainly do a thorough job.

wrong2, Feb 20, 7:37am
they dont need it in them for anywhere near that long

mber2, Feb 20, 8:00am
I think you put in too many o's I would run it like a running in oil for about 500 km's

msigg, Feb 20, 8:28am
No, just put good quality oil in the pulsar with a new filter and thats all it needs. If worried do a short change. Those pulsars are very good, looked after will last many years and trouble free motoring.

xs1100, Feb 20, 8:36am
yes thats what we are hoping for msigg so therefore thinking preventativemeasures.

flashgordon_nz, Feb 20, 8:41am
Bear in mind, diesel oils carry a C rating, ie CH, CJ, CL - each one a progression from the previous. The latest, obviously is suitable for comman rail diesels etc. I use a CJ rated oil as it suits all our diesel vehicles. They also tend to carry a S rating, meaning they are suitable for use in a petrol vehicle. Again, the letter after the S denotes a more specific type of petrol engine. Then of course, there is viscosity to vary your choices. Point is, that I understand the diesel oils do carry detergents etc, but with a CJ/SI rating (for example) they can also be used in petrols.

mrfxit, Feb 20, 9:04am
Do it,
The best it will do is clean your engine
The 1st worst is that the diesel oil will leak past ANY seals that are not 100% leak proof
The 2nd worst is to clog the engine with loose crud (but bear in mind that the motor really should have had the sump off in the 1st place.
How many km's you do on it depends partly on how bad it was in the 1st place.

thewomble1, Feb 21, 8:31am
On most of the diesel oil containers it says suitable for diesel and or petrol.

the_chooky, Feb 21, 8:56am
Yer. just do it.

mrfxit, Feb 21, 5:03pm
Thats because of "multi fleet" oils & high oil change km's
There are proper diesel engine oils around which are better suited fort he older diesels