Dumb girl car question.

Page 1 / 2
soodanim, Mar 21, 5:40am
I've got a VW Beetle and want to replace the hubcap badges. I got replacement ones. The others just seems to be stuck on with some sort of double sided tape! I was able to pull them off really easily. The hub centers are made of plastic. The badges are metal. What's best to use to get them to stick on and stay on. Don't want someone to be able to just walk by and pull them off.

hatchback, Mar 21, 5:46am
As in what year Bettle we talkin!

intrade, Mar 21, 5:48am
post a picture of the rim!

soodanim, Mar 21, 6:04am
Year 2002 - they are alloy rims and the centre is plastic. Just wanted to know how to "glue" them on so that someone can't just pull them back off again.

kazbanz, Mar 21, 6:06am
I'd actually be tepted to suggest plain ol superglue.

jmma, Mar 21, 6:09am
Aridite would be my weapon (o:

soodanim, Mar 21, 6:13am
Would either be ok on plastic!

kazbanz, Mar 21, 6:17am
-yea actually I agree--pop plastic cover off.Mark where the badge goes,Light roughen up with sandpaper and aryldite.-it'll give a longer working time and is more forgiving of gaps,

soodanim, Mar 21, 6:17am
Cool thanks.Where does one purchase araldite on a Thursday evening in Glen Eden! lol Superglue might be easier to find :)

soodanim, Mar 21, 6:19am
Oh the warehouse :) off shopping.

cjohnw, Mar 21, 6:20am

fordcrzy, Mar 21, 6:37am
^^ +1 3m auto tape. they use it to secure bumpers and trim panels.awesome stuff

jaydeesnr, Mar 21, 6:47am
Im curious to know why your replacing them as they still seemed to be stuck on

soodanim, Mar 21, 9:08am
Nope, two missing. Others looked yuk. Got different ones.

There's currently none on them because I was able to just pull them off. Would like to keep the new ones.Want something a little more secure than whatever it was holding them on.

hatchback, Mar 22, 5:36am
And what happens at tire replacement time when you go to put it on the tire machine and the center is glued in.

soodanim, Mar 23, 12:02am
Ummm they are hubcaps just like any other car. They come off so you can get to the wheel nuts or whatever they are call. The badges stick to the hubcap lol

Hmmm not feeling as dumb as I first thought I was. lol

hatchback, Mar 23, 12:15am
Oh sorry didnt realize you dont have proper mags, you have hupcap mags like something from super cheap.

soodanim, Mar 23, 12:18am
Who said anything about them being mags! Mentioned back in beginning of the thread that they were alloy rims with a plastic center.Can't read obviously.

a.woodrow, Mar 23, 12:21am
It's the plastic centre cover in the centre of her alloy wheel, did you even look at the picture.!

red97, Mar 23, 12:30am
hahaha holding your own quite nicely amongst the finest

intrade, Mar 23, 1:38am
i asked for a picture as the center hole is often used to balance the tyre.

soodanim, Mar 23, 2:02am
It's a hubcap."Most" are removable, yes! Why would a picture matter!

bjdw, Mar 23, 2:58am
You can get double sided trim tape from Repco or somewhere like that.Or if you want to use something that will make it harder to take them off use superglue or Araldite or Ados F2.

mrfxit, Mar 23, 3:02am
Some ppl call the center nut cover on alloy mags a "hubcap" but to a petrolhead of yesteryear, a plastic hubcap covers the whole rim

Cause thats how I read it from bits posted,

soodanim, Mar 23, 4:33am
Either way, they are usually removable so I just thought that post was a little condescending. Anyway it's over now .All sorted :)