Calling boaties

steers, Nov 17, 7:15pm
Have a 200hp Mercury Optimax 50 hours since serviced a year ago. Done 376 hours total. Does it need full service every year at around $650?

desmodave, Nov 17, 7:28pm
I would love to know what work gets done on a $650 service .

intrade, Nov 17, 7:34pm
the thing is similar as in automotive industry actuarly worse in marine .
Example naigbour brings in outboard for servicing to whangarei marine shop, cause it dont runs right and is in need of a service,
When picking up i went with her to fit it again to the jacht.
Now as we pick it up the spiderweb that was there from when we dropped it off was still on it 480$ later ad guess what it ran the same crap as when we first removed it. So what acturaly was done? service charge on paper only it seems. Seriously i kid you not , its mindblowing what friggen gungsters operate in this town. Place is now gone from where they where.
So the question is do you trust the work to be done correctly because once a year service is a good idea solong its fully and correctly done not just done to your wallet, like a lot of gungsters seem to operate

martin11, Nov 17, 7:57pm
My service on a 130 ob was only $365 and included new water pump impellor and gear oil change and 4 new spark plugs .

m16d, Nov 17, 9:16pm
A service can include putting the boat in the water and giving it a run. that takes 2 people out of the workshop and they still gotta get paid.

countrypete, Nov 17, 10:37pm
Get it serviced. You can't get out and push if it stops on you! Fuel filters can need replacement at least.

survivalkiwi, Nov 17, 11:27pm
I just paid $598 for a sevice on my 175 yamaha.
It would be very embarrassing to have to call for help and have it be found out that you have not had you boat seviced in the last 12 months.
Thats up there with running out of fuel.

desmodave, Nov 18, 12:59am
Cool , now how about the important bit . What did your $598 service consist of ? . Is it the 1st time you have had your 175 Yamaha serviced .

survivalkiwi, Nov 18, 2:33am
No I have had the motor since new(1995)
It include
feul conditioner
Fuel filter
oil filter
gear oil
gearcase drain washers
trim anode
Carbon free powerturner
sparkplugs
sealants
helm hydraulic oil
Labour. 3.5 hours

desmodave, Nov 18, 7:20am
That's the info that matters , cheers . How long between impeller replacement intervals

xs1100, Nov 18, 9:07am
whos doing your servicing,also have a word to Dave at Wakelin motors at opotiki he s very good on boats and such down yr way and might be able to give you a steer

aktow, Nov 18, 1:33pm
mercury website recommends changing spark plug every 300 hour or 3 years,,

survivalkiwi, Nov 18, 5:18pm
I love that 100 hours per year. I have had my motor for 20 years and have done 483 hours.

mainlander05, Nov 21, 12:05am
Yep,you certainly get ripped off in marine.
Cost me 6 Bundy for some clown to tip a bottle of engine flush into my tank.took boat out and it wouldn't even idle.
Did that myself.
Did my nut to mechanic as clearly the boat wasn't serviced.
And no,no parts,no oil,no nothing,just the flush.

ceebee2, Sep 29, 2:13am
Is that the estimate your local dealer stated for that service or just a guess?
I would certainly get it serviced and include the impellor replacement as well as fuel pump diaphragms as they will definitely reduce the risk of engine breakdown or damage. I owned a 90hp Optimax and the average service bill was $400.00 (Included replacing the impellor and fuel pump diaphragms.)

Also post in the fishing forum
www.fishing.net.nz

If that is an estimate then shop around. look further afield as there are excellent Marine shops in both Te Puke, Papamoa and Mt Maunganui.