Sandblasting question

Page 1 / 2
race_hemi, Dec 16, 8:20am
Anyone here have a grasp on the in's and out's of sandblasting? My son has started work as a sandblaster. He works inside a big arsed booth. He wears a helmet and other personal protective equipment as issued by the company. He's 24 and loves the graft. He comes home each day knackered and dirty. When I say dirty, i mean his face/head is absolutely sooty and grimy. I saw him blowing black snot from out of his nose. This concerns me as he has supposedly clean/filtered air pumped into his helmet. To my mind this dark crap on his face is being breathed in by him also. He is young and reckons its ok. I am old and reckon it's not. What is this black stuff and surely there is a fix for it? I am thinking of going down to speak to his boss about it but know nothing about likely causes/fixes etc. Anyone?

wellyguynz, Dec 16, 8:22am
get osh involved

trogedon, Dec 16, 8:26am
If he's using a respirator (sounds like he is) its obviously not working well. He should ask to have it checked thoroughly. It might be a good idea for him to buy his own head unit to make sure its new and working well. I know a sb who has good gear (cares about his health) and has none of those issues. DON'T get OSH involved - too heavy handed too soon.

tintop, Dec 16, 8:31am
You are right. He should be breathing clean air.

Get in touch with these guys.: http://www.nzaba.co.nz/

race_hemi, Dec 16, 8:32am
I am not sure of the setup apart from what he has told me. He said something about an air line goes into the rear of his helmet and the air feels cool. Not much I know. I asked him if his blasting buddy (there is two of them in the booth at any one time) comes out dirty after a days work also. He said yup.

yellowsubmarine, Dec 16, 8:46am
Yeah get the company in trouble, what a great idea.

Sandblasting is a pretty filthy job but it should not be getting through the filters, might be faulty gear or even user error?

gunhand, Dec 16, 8:57am
Sandblasting/media blasting is dirty work for sure, the media gets in places that you would not think possible.
The media is dangerous crap and not good for you. It is a one way trip into your body, it will hook on to your lungs and stay there.
He shouldn't be blowing crap out his nose as that means he is breathing in dirt and old paint or whatever. He, at 24 will think its okay, but ask him in twenty tears when he is coughing non stop, can't breath and has a nasty condition that is incurable.
Not to be taken lightly at all.
Once or twice, well yea. Every day? No way.

race_hemi, Dec 16, 9:03am
Yep, I hear you re osh. It didn't enter my mind to get them. This type of thing can get sorted quick smart once i find out what go/norm is. The boy loves his job and its great to have him working. I just find it strange (or not) that in this day and age of overarching health and safety in the workplace . he can still come home with a face that belies that all is safe and healthy inside that little helmet he wears. I was actually going to familiarize myself up on matters then pop down to see his boss and ask him straight out 'what was that black stuff all over my sons face at the end of play each day, and was it safe to breathe in? And see what he says.

race_hemi, Dec 16, 9:04am
Yeah, and this is why his old man has taken an interest. Cheers.

rollerman1, Dec 16, 9:41am
Obviously the headgear your son is wearing isn't doing its job. The airflow is supposed to be strong enough to keep that crap out of the helmet and also give him fresh air to breathe.
I use a full face respirator whenever I do sandblasting, it keeps the crap out.
I thought the same as your son when I was his age and have suffered for it now I'm in my 60's.
Go and see his boss, you may just save your son a lifetime of ill health.
Good luck.

marte, Dec 16, 2:30pm
I can imagine what he's breathing in.
Lead based paint. Silica. Antifouling paint. Organophosphates. Zinc

Nah, there's something really going wrong if he's breathing in that crap.
I have done enough welding to know what some of it will do.

It needs to be sorted out right now. It is not hard to do either, just proper working gear. That works.
I have known a few sandblasters, it is a tough, but fun and rewarding job.

mohaka, Dec 16, 2:48pm

grangies, Dec 17, 3:39am
Is there a regulated valve on the air feed into his hood?

If so, can it be opened further to feed more positive air pressure around his face?

race_hemi, Dec 17, 6:16am
I got him up a little earlier this morning and showed him what silicosis was and then showed him this thread. I think a light bulb went on. I saw a definite look of concern cross his young mug. Because he saw total strangers echoing what his oldman had been saying. Bloody good stuff I thought. Today with his lunch I included a few cheap disposable face masks. When he got home tonight he told me that he had worn a few of them during the day (inside his helmet) and all with the same result - black gunk accumulated on the outside. I told him that this should be enuff to convince him that he was not being looked after by his employer. He said that the equipment they were using was old and knocked around. Now its starting to come out. No wonder this trade has a super high turnover rate. Anyway - tomorrow I am gong to visit his boss to voice my concern over how they are looking after my young fella. Cheers for all of the info/support you dudes.

h.e, Dec 17, 7:59am
just my 2 cents worth, but your "young fella" is 24. Is it not time for him to pull on his big boy pants and discuss the issue with his employer himself. You can't be fighting his battles all his life

bronzeblood, Dec 17, 8:13am
Illegal to use sand or anything with silicon in it now. Most probably using garnet or steel shot. So silicosis shouldn't be a worry.

The stuff being blasted into powder is the worry though. Ask if hes taking his helmet off before he gets out of the booth. Pretty common to pull helmet off before the dust has settled and then you get covered in crap. Also up the pressure entering the helmet ,can help if dust is getting in.

race_hemi, Dec 17, 8:25am
Nuh, cradle to the grave is how this whanau rolls.

sr2, Dec 17, 8:28am
Yeah; it doesn't matter how old they are, they will always be our kids.

race_hemi, Dec 17, 8:34am
He never takes his helmet off in the booth. He disconnects and takes it off outside of the booth. He got taught that by one of my old cobbers that used to do this sorta work. They are using garnet. Its an equipment issue I think. That and a she will be right ethos that seems to permeate through industry on the ground floor when management is small or weak. But I will know by end of play tomorrow. Cheers.

mohaka, Dec 17, 8:38am
Garnet is just another form of silica
https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3697.pdf
Other thing is to well protect his hearing

race_hemi, Dec 17, 8:40am
Yeah bro. Hey, on this - have you heard Tami Neilson's song that sings about this? Very cool. 'Don't be Afraid' its called. Its about a parents life long commitment to an offspring. Very apt words.

h.e, Dec 17, 8:51am
hey it's great that he has such caring parents, but there is a right way to go about things. His employer may be unaware your sons mask is poked or perhaps a filter needs replaced and your boy only needs to ask. It wouldn't be a good look for your son having mum or dad rock in over what could be a non issue. If he needs backing up later then cool but at least let him get the ball rolling

elect70, Dec 18, 3:02am
Mate used to cut up cats , no no not the 4 legged kind , & he wore full protective hood & separate air supply but still got dirty as it wasnt 1005 air tight , those ones like they use forin labs cost a fortune & not even OSH try to force their use .

two9s, Dec 18, 4:18am
He should be supplied with clean air from the compressor outside of the booth, and the supply should be sufficient to ensure positive pressure inside the helmet/hood at all times.
The compressor might be poked. The filters may leak. Whatever. Its not compliant or safe. Just get him to tell the boss he's not dying early for him. Did the same thing myself 40 years ago as a young commercial diver operating on shite kit. Boss changed it pronto. He just didn't understand clean air:)

cagivachick1, May 31, 7:13pm
the boss should be noticing what the blasters are like at the end of the day, he should be the one looking to solve the problem seeing as the ramifications of having worksafe in there reaming him are huge, so if he sees them and does nothing perhaps the big worksafe stick is the way to go