Finding owner of car

garvan04, Dec 6, 5:32pm
I have a property on shw1 and for 3 days a silver Honda accord has been parked inside my driveway. is there a free way of finding out who owns it? I know I can pay CARJAM $15 but I don't want to waste my money sorting out someone else's issue. (dkj417)

stbossman, Dec 6, 5:35pm
post office will trace it for a small fee have to give ID though

can you use your driveway,or if it is blocking your driveway
ring police or council

garvan04, Dec 6, 5:45pm
No I can get past fine. I'm just annoyed it's there without the owner telling me why. I'm tempted to hook it up and tow it somewhere else. but there may be a legit reason for parking it up.

kevymtnz, Dec 6, 6:18pm
is it legal reg wof all plates etc
after 3 days id ring police that its on yr property
ask them to contact owner to please collect it
you could leave a note to please remove asap
may just want it hidden from the road after a break down
if its not gone after a week re call police
if they never come back for it after 3 months i think its yours to keep

kecal, Dec 6, 6:21pm
you would assume its stolen or broke n down ring the authorities would be my pick.
failing that tow it 1km down the road and forget it.

garvan04, Dec 6, 6:27pm
I had something similar happen about 10 yrs ago. Owner of a mazda ute never retuned, called police and not stolen. so I kept it as a farm hack for 3 yrs until it gave up.

tweake, Dec 6, 8:51pm
no, they can do you for theft even years later.

first thing is ring cops the can get in touch with owner.
it could be broken down but most people get them towed fairly quickly.
i've called in quite a few before. we get quite a few dumped on the roads around here. everything from broken down and can't be bothered towing or fixing it, to stolen etc.
had one parked up in a driveway entrance with no plates.

mm12345, Dec 6, 9:15pm
NZ new 2006 Accord 3l isn't likely to have been just dumped by the owner.
It is not listed as stolen at http://www.police.govt.nz/stolenwanted/stolen-vehicles - but definitely call the cops to report it.
At best it's a bit "off" IMO if it was broken down or some other valid reason why the owner needed to leave it, but they didn't think at a minimum to leave a note on the car or in your mailbox, or knock on your door during daylight hours.

kazbanz, Dec 6, 9:48pm
Without a moments hesitation I would call the police. Theres more than one reason a car would be dumped in your driveway.

garvan04, Dec 6, 11:14pm
so just called. and there's an hour wait to talk to a cop. can't be bothered with that, I can't even leave a friggin message for them!
I've checked online and looks like I can tow it without any issues so if it becomes more of an annoyance I'll move it myself.

gsimpson, Dec 7, 1:15am

vtecintegra, Dec 7, 1:16am
BTW you cannot get ownership details from Carjam unless the car is owned by a company so don't bother paying.

gazzat22, Dec 7, 4:26am
Or ring111,every other person does.

socram, Jul 21, 2:30am
Some years ago, reported a Mercedes left in the parking area of our cul-de-sac. Had a damaged quarter light. Seems it was the subject of a car ransom scam. Police came, staked it out and caught the perpetrators!

Don't leave it too long.