Toyota Corolla Auris. 2007.

Page 1 / 3
lizzie51, Sep 19, 12:17am
I am considering purchasing a 2007 Toyota Auris 150 X S Package. 21,700ks for $11k which includes on road costs. Its from a reputable dealer and is in very tidy condition. I would mostly be running around town with occasional trips away. $11k is my limit. Am planning to have it checked by VTNZ $129. (Cheaper than AA which is $149 for a member). Taking it home this evening for a sleepover and test drive :-)
Any advice or comment would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
PS: I will be selling my previous drive which is a 2001 Mitsi Grandis 7 seater which I imported when it was 2 years old. Have had a great run with it but its waaay to big now.

brapbrap8, Sep 19, 12:33am
Probably cheaper and better again to take it to a toyota dealer and pay for them to spend an hour going over it to give you an idea of what the car is like, and what servicing will be required to make sure it is reliable for you as it is an old vehicle even though it is low km.

lizzie51, Sep 19, 1:02am
Awesome advice thank you. Have phoned Toyota and arranged a pre purchase inspection for $100. They also rate the dealer I am buying though as a straight shooter so thats a relief. Cheers.

richardmayes, Sep 19, 1:22am
We had one of these (1800cc manual) as an office car from brand new to 100,000km.

It was not a "fun" car, but IMHO the quality of the construction of all the parts I could see and feel as a driver, was NOTICABLY better than most other modern small cars. It just felt like a car that is built to last 20 years, the way cars used to be. 1800cc is a good quiet smooth engine that makes enough power as long as you use the revs.

Only things I did not like about it were really just design flaws that other people might just accept:

1/ Top gear = 3,000rpm at 100km/h, it could and should have had a much higher top gear for relaxed highway cruising. 5th gear was almost the same as 6th. Maybe autos are different?

2/ Not much rear seat legroom.

3/ The massive A pillars far ahead of you take a bit of getting used to.

4/ High, top-heavy looking car that handles a bit like it looks, although the handling is fine for sensible legal driving and there is ample grip.

Our one warped a front brake rotor at about 80,000km and started drinking oil at about 90,000km. Seems young for these sorts of problems. Everything else was perfect when the car was sold.

phillip.weston, Sep 19, 1:31am
To be honest for $11k I would be hoping for something newer than 8, going on 9 years old. At that age, the super low 21,000kms is suspicious to me. It's either been sitting often for long periods of time, or been driven only very short distances never getting up to temperature. Either one is not desirable. Why not find a 2010-13 model with say 50-80,000kms for the same price?

$16-18k can buy a brand new Punto or Mirage with warranty, why pay a few k less for something nearly 10 years old?

tamarillo, Sep 19, 1:32am
2007 with 22,000km? Less than 3000 km a year. Where? If it's inner city it's been sitting in traffic a lot. Or the real miles is a lot more.
How many airbags? Less than 4 is just not enough and you can get a safer better car. If only two. think to yourself what you want to happen to you and others if some idiot smashes in to you this summer.

lizzie51, Sep 19, 1:49am
The Ks have been certified. Re the sitting around bit. a lot of Japanese people use their car for annual holiday only. i dunno. Thats why i am asking on here. Toyota will shed light on any issues hopefully.

Airbags: Fair comment. 90% of the time its only me in the car, occasionally a small grandchild or two tucked up in carseats in the back. Would on rare occasions have a front seat passengerand there is an airbag or two.
I dont know exactly. will double check when i pick up car this afternoon. Not settling til Monday but dont have the ability to check every available option. Need high seat for driver, this car is comfortable for me.
Thanks for your input. :-)

vtecintegra, Sep 19, 1:52am
The trouble is the current Mirage is pure garbage, and while the Punto is okay in manual the other transmission is just the pits.

phillip.weston, Sep 19, 1:56am
It's pure garbage that has been getting OK reviews around the world. It's a cheap car and does what is advertised. 3cyl fuel economy, safe with multiple air bags etc. But the point is it's brand new with a new car warranty for not much more than Lizzie is paying for a nearly 10 year old USED car. it just seems silly to me.

lizzie51, Sep 19, 1:58am
Because I dont have "a few $$K's more". No matter what the price point someone tells you that for a few ks more you will get a better car. of course I would. My last vehicle purchase was $16k for the Mitsi when it was a year old, before that $23k for a near new Toyota Lucida, Near new Mazda 626,Nissan Bluebird SW, Nissan BB triple Sss sporty number.

Its waaaay easier when you have more $$$$$ innit? I don't, so cut with the condescending comments please. I didn't come here to be questioned about my budget. Thank you.

vtecintegra, Sep 19, 2:00am
I don't know about that - everything I've seen has been overwhelmingly negative.

I do agree that an older Corolla probably doesn't represent value buying either, but at the end of the day it is a far, far nicer car than a new Mirage in every way

kazbanz, Sep 19, 2:07am
lizzie-Manufacturers make BIG leaps forwards with styling every few years. With Toyota its roughly every 6 years. The Auris/corolla is the second year of Toyotas new technology.
Your car will will have CVT transmission.
last generation had a normal auto tranz.
The 1800cc version has dual VVTi
I get really really tired of the same old rubbish being dragged out when a cat has low milage. You can be certain that info NEVER comes from anyone that has been to japan let alone lived/worked there.+
NOONE except the last owner can say the reason why a car does low miles.
There are several reasons.
1)Japan has a fantastic public transport system. The result is that almost all Commuters use the Train to get to work.
2)In Japan you pay INSANE money to park your car in the cities so in MOST cases its probative to do the "daily grind" in a car .
3) To enter the highway (motorway) system that links town with burbs and country you pay a toll every time you go on them.
4) yes there are SOME vehicles that spend a lot of their lives idling along the highway.
But these tend to be More commercial vehicles than private.
5) My experience of highways in Japan has shown me much LESS congestion that I experience in Auckland.

lizzie51, Sep 19, 2:13am
Well, wouldnt be seen dead in either a Punto or a Mirage would rather burn out the Mitsi.

I might be low on budget but I do have standards. Would absolutely prefer 1800cc, really struggling with the idea of 1500cc vehicle.
Very frustrating.
I like the look of the Auris - not too nanna shopping basket) and it is a smart Midnight Blue which helps.

phalanax, Sep 19, 2:28am
Id go for a TRD 3.5 v6 Blade same sort of year,look and money but fully loaded. get one with an all metal external rear oil pressure line or have the line changed. I got one. had a towbar fitted (for free as part of the price). I changed the dodgy external rubber oil pressure line to all metal,mines got the TRD central shifter surround ,led interior, floor,exterior sidelight/ driving light lighting , led blue 'blade' scuff plates, extra led parking viz lights under the rear bumper.Theres alot of talk about these cars being rocket hatchbacks but I dont see it (theyre not that quick off the mark my Caddy would eat it for breakfast 10secs and top speed) What I like about it is it is heavy and doesnt get blown around on the road, the power is smooth and suitable for towing a light trailer. Downside is they are hairy in wet weather due to their compact weight (make sure you have good tread). Im happy with it and the v6 has time tested proven Toyota reliability

lizzie51, Sep 19, 2:31am
#20 Kazbanz. thank you. The voice of calm and reason as always. I was hoping you would pop in.
My brother and his wife have lived in Japan for many years and another brother imports heavy machinery from there. I understand about the lifestyle. so much more different from ours.
They are unable to facilitate this purchase for me so I am winging it. Had a very helpful dealer in HB who helped me buy a number of vehicles for my Wine Tour business. Bit short on help now i am in Tga.
I soooo do not want to make a costly mistake. most peeps think Corollas are boring but reliable and safe. I thought getting low ks would be a good idea so long as passes the Toyota onceover.

lizzie51, Sep 19, 2:36am
phalanax wrote:
Id go for a TRD 3.5 v6 Blade same sort of year,look and money but fully loaded. get one with an all metal external rear oil pressure line or have the line changed.[/quote

Yes. smart car but the economy of 1500- 1800cc appeals. There maybe a Blade available soon but higher Ks. 2.4 I think. I am in love with a metallic bronze Blade on the same lot but its $17k ish. Metallic deep blue looks smart too.
I have never had a small car other than my nanny's Morris Minor. sold it 45yrs ago for $325 Grrrrrrrrr. After that an Austin 1800 "land crab".

phalanax, Sep 19, 2:44am
The 2.4 engine is not as reliable as the 3.5.

phalanax, Sep 19, 2:49am
Economy. the 1.3 vitz/yaris. they dont have the great looks or many options, but they are a great little very reliable vehicle. Not grunty. but they dont hold up traffic on the highway either. nice hard working reliable engines. if you dont drive like an idiot. and they run on the smell of an oily rag. Bonus is they can fit in all those car park spaces others cant. lol

lizzie51, Sep 19, 3:08am
Lol. and would also fit in the back of my current wagon. no thanks. I have to car seats to fit in as well.
I knocked back a Kia Soul because i got claustrophobic. Auris marginally betterer in that regard.

tamarillo, Sep 19, 3:31am
Op, you're call, but as said, airbags are important, and two just ain't enough IMO. As for mileage, guess you could ask for the service book / records.

kazbanz, Sep 19, 4:14am
So other than trim inside the cabin and the engine --Whats the difference between the Blade and the Aurus ?

kazbanz, Sep 19, 4:16am
We don't bring many of them into NZ but a blade/aurus is available with a light colored trim. This gives a feeling of greater space inside
Incidently the Aurus is really easy to fit after market radios into

phalanax, Sep 19, 4:28am
Higher spec brakes and suspension. Not sure the Auris has electronic stability control either?.

mals69, Sep 19, 5:05am
OP disregard this nutcase.
A fiat over a toyota lmfao - you need medication jazz !

kazbanz, Sep 19, 5:32am
are you sure? what about the top speck aurus?
==sorry bro Im just messin with ya. same platform same body but different engine and suspenders