Help picking a 6/7 seater.

traciles1914, Jul 8, 6:15am
We are a bit stuck on pros and cons of some 7 seaters.
We don't want a diesel or 4wd. We will have 3 children in carseats and a double pram. We do a reasonable amount of long distance driving and do not want a CVT transmission.
So far we have:
Honda oddesey (im not a fan)
Mitsubishi grandis
Nissan presage and
Mazda mpv
And suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated

brapbrap8, Jul 8, 6:16am
A budget would be helpful.

intrade, Jul 8, 6:21am
6 seater a multipla fiat.

traciles1914, Jul 8, 6:24am
Oh sorry!
About $8-9,000.

extrayda, Jul 8, 7:02am
Toyota Estima. But whatever you choose make sure to fit all of the car seats into it, and the pram to make sure it is going to work for you.
The only minus of the Estima's in your price range are that the two centre seats only have lap belts (leaving you with 5 or 6 with full belts depending on whether you go for the 7 or 8 seater). The more modern Estima's I think have proper belts on all seats, but cost more (haven't checked exact cost recently). Also depends on how tall you are and you kids will be - we found most of the smaller people movers didn't have enough leg room.

seadubya, Jul 8, 7:05am
Heaps of room in a grand voyager, full seat belts and anchor points too.

trouser, Jul 8, 9:01am
Honda edix could be worth a look.

tamarillo, Jul 8, 9:15am
Bit left field but if you like wagons a volvo v70. Has built in child boosters in rear seats, huge boot, usually a third row in boot, and more safety than many much newer cars.
Unsure you'd get three full child seats across rear seat, so only good if boosters are good for one or more. Much more interesting than an mpv. Far better on open road too.

msigg, Jul 8, 9:16am
Volvo or 6 seater falcon, something with those dinky seats in the back, otherwise your into suv territory, or a van.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 8, 7:43pm
VW Touran. Safe, super economical, lovely to drive. The rear two seats fold completely in to the boot so if you only have the 5 of you on a trip you can put the 3 carseats in the second row and take a massive amount of luggage. Very compact on the outside so a pleasure around town.

I would suggest do not get the Presage, they are over hyped, thirsty, mongrel barges to drive and known for some very serious engine problems (especially earlier ones).

If you decide you like the VW, come back for some advice on picking a good one, servicing etc. The VW will literally use half the amount of fuel some of the other options will, while having considerably more power at the same time.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 8, 7:47pm
Actually, if you want reliability, super low running cost, comfort on long trips, great handling (for what it is), mega practicality and cheap/easy servicing and repairs. Why not?

I have been meaning to sell ours for years, but just can't bring myself to do it as it won't die and it's just so flipping useful.

If you are so desperate to look like every other bubble on the road that it's worth thousands extra a year to you and a sacrifice on practicality, then I guess this is not the car for you though.

extrayda, Jul 9, 6:00am
Looks like lots of suggestions. As I said earlier, whatever you choose make sure to put everything in it to see if it fits BEFORE you buy one. If your kids are tall (of will be soon) make sure to take that into account. I found wagons and the smaller people movers didn't have enough legroom for all passengers. Sliding doors are also very handy.

poppajn, Jul 9, 7:59am
My daughter just bought one of these, a nice car and very economical.

fordcrzy, Jul 9, 10:47am
Toyota ipsum.2004+. at least it has room in the boot when all seats are up AND it has an underfloor storage compartment which will take a single stroller most 6/7 seaters have ZERO boot space when you put the last row of seats up

wrenn, Jul 11, 10:37am
I have An Edix & a presage, both 2004. I have had in the past largo's, serena's, and Estima's and I settled on the Presage. The largo & serena was under powered with a full load, the Estima was good with the v6 & a full load but a bit thirsty and the rear sliding doors have a habit of snapping the cable inside connected to the handle, pain to sort. Also I didn't like the rear seat in both, either up or down. can't split. They all looked like vans/people movers.

We settled on the presage because the 2.5 4 cylinder was a great compromise between power with a full load and not a guzzler, the rear seat is so with my 3 kids I could have 2 in the middle row, one in the back, and fold the other back seat down for extra space along with the boot area. Electro sliding door is a great feature when dropping kids in the rain, and all have arm rests and comfortable plus it looks and rides more like a station wagon but can seat 8.

Non cvt was also something I wanted - all In all the best option after trying a few, couldn't be happier and is keep it if I didn't have a conpany car, no point holding onto it when we're not using it so I'm currently selling it.

I made an effort to find a low mileage one too and I think it makes a difference, low Kim's probably reflect the trouble free mothering I've had to date.

Cheers
Andy

bill1451, Feb 16, 9:05am
Trouble free mothering, haha lucky you.