Drive NZ North South Island - 4WD?

Page 1 / 2
billyfieldman, Oct 8, 10:16pm
Do you need to have a 4WD to tour around North and South Island visiting touristy places of interest?

intrade, Oct 8, 10:24pm
no but a car you can get glass for especially rear triangle windows as these get smashed in touristy places by thugs and theives

petal_91, Oct 8, 10:57pm
Everything is quite well developed even in some pretty far flung parts of the South Island so no 4WD needed.

muzz67, Oct 8, 11:04pm
meybe like that in the North.

bill-robinson, Oct 9, 1:22am
OP i think you might be better off on a mountain bike

pico42, Oct 9, 2:29am
No you don't need a 4WD. But if you do have a 4WD there are a lot of interesting places to visit.

tamarillo, Oct 9, 3:30am
There are no gravel roads on main routes, and bugger all off. Even ones that do exist are OK for car with two wheels drive. Only in height of winter is four preferable in South Island as sometimes roads get cut off to 2wd briefly. Even then chains will suffice.
A few tracks are 4wd only and they are not state highways.
Car is fine.

bjmh, Oct 9, 3:49am
c'mon you guys all know that you need a Euro 4wd in lots of places in Akld. especially if you are a milf taking kids to school.

2sheddies, Oct 9, 4:14am
Of course not. Only about 1% of people who own these things actually NEED 4wd. The rest only need a car, but insist on an SUV cos they think it'll make them seem trendy.

billyfieldman, Oct 9, 4:16am
Thanks for the help.

In the unfortunate event that I unknowingly drive on a stretch of road with black ice, would a 4WD make any difference safety wise OR is this where Electronic Stability Control (ESC) is more important?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/69758873/black-ice-returns-to-south-island-roads

muzz67, Oct 9, 4:23am
Alexandra had 26c yesterday.
Cant see black ice being too much of a worry till next winter.
probably more likely to find some on the central plateu

tintop, Oct 10, 4:23am
Yes - but only if you live in Titirangi and need to make U turns outside the school gate and need to drive over the central median garden.

tintop, Oct 10, 4:26am
I think that ice just confuses the ESC computer, and it melts down - melting the ice on the way.

But seriously the main roads are well tended - we were in Otago and over Hast Pass during July.
The roads were gritted, and there were hundreds of Ice/Grit warning signs. Had no problems at all in our Sprinter camper.

We carried chains but never needed them. On the way back the Desert Rd was shown as closed at Bulls, but by the time we got to Waiouru the road was open again, cleared and gritted at the dodgy places in the gullies.

tony9, Oct 10, 4:54am
Well, apart from Christchurch, particularly out East.

Seriously, if you don't live in Canterbury and make your first trip to Christchurch you will be a bit shocked.

treachug, Oct 10, 5:02am
He's asking about the South Island not anyplace more than two hours north of Auckland.

survivalkiwi, Oct 10, 6:54am
You do not need a 4wd to travel around then south island.
But please be carefull of the emperor penguins that live on the main street of invercargill.

richardmayes, Oct 10, 6:58am
I drove over a bit of black ice once on SH73 (Christchurch to West Coast via Arthur's Pass)

The back end of my RWD 1977 Triumph swung out a little bit before I caught it.

Just take your time, if it's cold then keep an eye out for ice, you'll be fine! It's not the northern frontier of Canada here.

treachug, Oct 10, 7:46am
You forgot to mention about the give way to Moa road rule applicable only in the Bealey/Arthurs Pass area.

tamarillo, Oct 10, 8:00am
Op when are you thinking of doing this trip?

billyfieldman, Oct 11, 1:33am
Late October/November.

mrsdoobercoons, Oct 11, 4:44am
The link you posted above related to the middle of one of the coldest winters we've had in a very long time. Oct / Nov is getting into warm summer weather. We'd be expecting 20º C most days in Queenstown by then.

buyit59, Oct 11, 8:01am
Late Oct/Nov will see more chance of melted tar than frozen . 2WD will be FINE . Have a great trip and hope you enjoy it !

morrisman1, Oct 11, 8:05am
One day we hope to have sealed roads in the south island, in the mean time I guess we will have to live with the dirt tracks. They get a bit muddy in winter but should be fine by the time you get down.

sent from my tin-can telephone.

gunhand, Oct 11, 8:11am
Have you got one of those new fangled cordless tin cans or still usin the string between them?

tintop, Feb 25, 4:04pm
Wasn't 'Wok-Fi' invented down your way ?