Advice wanted on selling a 55yr old car

Page 1 / 2
jamie2016, Nov 2, 6:01am
someone in my church group was looking at selling their Austin A99 in really good condition for about $1000.00 but i have no idea on what they are worth $?

msigg, Nov 2, 6:32am
yes if its tidy and going good it is worth $1000, not a very popular car, worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for it, try the Austin car club.

whqqsh, Nov 2, 6:36am
if its regd & wof'd it'd be worth it. does seem a bit odd that you're a church guy yet you have such bad FB in such a short TM history. I hope they don't accept cheques

socram, Nov 2, 6:38am
Probably worth a bit more than that in good condition and roadworthy. If it is the early Austin 99, (pre Farina), definitely worth more.

tgray, Nov 2, 7:07am
Realistically, you don't get much for $1000.
If its good condition as you say, it has to be worth more than that.

jmma, Nov 2, 7:13am
People come to this board for help, not to be asked about their feedback, just saying

poppajn, Nov 2, 7:14am
A50 for sale in Invercargill at a car sales for $5000, very tidy.

nzjay, Nov 2, 7:48am
If it's the Farina shaped model from around 1958 to 1961 in good condition, around $4500 to $5500. Not many left on the road now.

whqqsh, Nov 2, 8:30am
I never asked, I made a statement. & it's your FB, own up to it! To others FB is a valuable part of TM that allows others to assess someones overall reliability & honesty

marte, Nov 2, 11:33am
As a classic car, buy it and use it.
This sort of car is becoming a 'trend'.
Anything that old and on the road is going to cost less than any other jap car to keep on the road anyway.

But you cannot buy the 'class' that you get for using it as a daily car.

Thats why i got a 'Beetleback'. Neighbours got a Morrie, other has a Austin. Everybody wants one.

tamarillo, Nov 2, 7:28pm
Unfortunately one persons really good condition is very different from another's. Low end is that it hasn't collapsed with rust but it's easy to find if you look, paint is by brush, hasn't been rego for years etc. top end is nice clean original car garaged, no rust, good upholstery, drives well, wof and rego.
If you get some good photos and details we might be able to be more accurate for you.
Sorry.

bjmh, Nov 2, 8:14pm
tell them to auction it on T.M with a reserve of $1000. the market will decide. won't cost a lot to do that.

bryshaw, Nov 2, 10:46pm
http://www.austinmemories.com/page8/page20/page20.html

Farina models were just re badged in many cases, like Westminster, Wolseley, Princess, Riley. Had an A40 Somerset once, built on a full chassis and leaked like a sieve.

galex, Nov 4, 12:11am

lookoutas, Nov 4, 7:06am
You check someones feedback coz they ask a question!

I couldn't be bothered wasting time. Assume yours is good?

3tomany, Nov 4, 7:16am
if you are looking to purchase, remember with old cars the big cost of ownership comes in keeping them on the road.

bryshaw, Nov 4, 9:11am
Thanks. Fascinating site.

richardmayes, Nov 5, 12:18am
Keep it.

Drop in your EL wagon engine, trans and axle.

Would give a few young hoons a run for their money at the lights down Moorhouse Ave.

sw20, Nov 5, 6:25am
Friends of our family bought a early '50s large English DHC . Zero mechanical knowledge. It's now in for an engine rebuild.

scuba, Nov 5, 10:00am
it's not a classic- just an old car- "everybody wants one" yeah right.
most people have no idea how high maintenance those old cars were, and no idea how to do it .
Major step backwards in speed , comfort and durability and you need deep pockets to keep it running.
There is good reason people don't use them for daily runners.
Granted some will have happy memories of these from the past.

marte, Nov 5, 11:35am
Yeah, right. Yah right, its not the car that I thought it was. .
I wouldn't 'invest' money into that one.
Theres austin landcrab getting around Ingill and a bunch of other similar cars. Just because they can.
When you consider the real cost of a newish car, depreciation and insurance and $2000 every year just in maintainance and its mostly for around town driving.
The older car with a bit of class can turn more heads than a 'cut n paste' 5 yr old jappa.

richardmayes, Nov 5, 10:04pm
So true! My wife isn't interested in cars but still notices what people drive and notices when people are all about their cars.
She has funny stories about the failures and misadventures of an ex who had a 1990s V8 commodore who thought "burning dinosaurs" was really witty, but could hardly ever afford to keep his tank full (and was too in love with his leather upholstery to ever use it for fun.) and another ex who had a targa top MR2 and had to throw a tarp over the top of it every time it rained.

Apparently driving around town at a sensible speed in my old yellowTriumph was deemed a pretty good look by comparison.

carstauranga001, Nov 5, 10:33pm
Where's the surprise? Whilst many churchgoers are great honest people I've met many a lying, thieving good for nothing idiot who's hidden behind the holier than thou church thing. Many of them ripping off their trusting fellow church goers. They are the ones who commonly walk around with a cheesy false smile.

scuba, Nov 7, 9:45pm
lol Triumphs are different. they are classics. picked up a free 2500 Saloon off a student who didn't want it to go to a wrecker and kept it going for 4 years .taught 2 of my boys to drive in it- told them if they could drive that old girl they could drive anything. I did hear a few rumours of sightings of speeding around town which were hotly denied although No 1 son did comment he was surprised how fast it went on a weekend trip to Queenstown. I was amazed it got there and back in one piece.

nzjay, Nov 14, 6:39pm
I have the Wolseley version, 6/99 with overdrive. Quite rare now as most were demolition derby'd or just rusted away.
Solid as a rock on the road, will cruise at 80mph+ if you want, lovely big old car. Mechanically simple, rust is the worry. Mine was tectyl'd from new.