2011 ish

poppajn, Jun 11, 9:12am
Look at a Honda Epic

cagivachick1, Jun 11, 9:22am
epic not really what i want

stevo2, Jun 11, 9:36am
Basically a good wagon

pandai, Jun 11, 9:38am
If the sedan version of that car is anything to go by, very nice. Drives well and relatively planted on the open road. Mind you the wagon is a bit heavier.

Pays to check the oil level in those cars from time to time, but otherwise fairly trouble free.

andy61, Jun 11, 9:41am
Why do you need to check the oil level from time to time?, I have a 09 Euro(car) and its never used oil between changes, up to 133kms now.

pandai, Jun 11, 9:43am
Some Hondas with K24Z3 engines burn oil, most don't. Our 2011 was using up to 1 litre between changes, just over 50,000k.

youngones2, Jun 11, 10:25am
we looked at one but not enough room in back seats and ended up with a 2011 mondeo diesel and very happy. wife still likes her hondas and has a 08 accord euro but we find not enough grunt on hilly dunedin and mondeo drives better and heaps more economical.

tamarillo, Jun 11, 8:36pm
Op, excellent wagon, far better than the others!
I chose one as company vehicle and had for year, it was an 08 but same thing. It rode beautifully with subtle suspension, handled eagerly when asked, crisp turn in and enjoyable, the vtec engine had plenty of oompah that the modeo and Mazda 6 lacked (drove bothe extensively as rentals, check the kW output, Honda thrashes them) and it has all the little extras that make life nice, sunroof, leather, etc. plus I thought it looked far better, snazzier, and dated less. The 08 looks same as much newer ones and stand out from the hordes.
It has 120,000km on it when we got it but showed none of them. Indeed it's now for sale (I don't work there now) and I thought of buying it. BUT it was NZ new, and the few imports I drove did not drive as well. I can only assume they used different set up but the suspension was just not as well sorted. But that may be luck of the draw.
It also me at a good NZ tuned stereo. Plus Honda engineering is just very good and only heard good things about the oily bits.
Genuinely liked that car and would recommend thoroughly, indeed would buy again if in that market.

tamarillo, Jun 11, 8:39pm
Yes, that's the only things diesel makes a better car for, easy hill climbing without revs. BUT, once you learn to just build up those refs the vtec will fly past!
I always averaged in 8l economy whatever I did to it, it really loves to rev.
Plus diesels not best at short journeys I believe and Honda sounds good when opened up.

richardmayes, Jun 12, 12:25am
On the NZHondas forum I have seen owners of the pre-facelift model (2004-2009-ish) complain about the electric tailgate opener motor burning out if you use it all the time.

Also difficulties in reading Japanese on the screen of the centre console, if the computer ever has a bad hair day and re-starts in default mode - with Japanese language on the display.
Especially if it is one of the ones with the navigation system (which won't work in NZ anyway. )

Otherwise, Euro accords are very good cars.

richardmayes, Jun 12, 12:30am
There are 3 different engines in the standard Euros - 2 litre, 2.4 litre (160hp) and 2.4 litre (200hp). There is a world of difference between the 200HP model and the others.

pandai, Jun 12, 12:55am
Was that the previous generation?

The current CU2 Accord Euro was made from 2008-2014 and facelifted in 2011.

brapbrap8, Jun 12, 1:00am
This thread takes me back to driving a 1997 Accord SIR-T sedan, that was such an awesome car with a very split peronality, it could drive around like a nanna car (apart from the factory fitted Mugen full exhaust system), then get above about 6,200 RPM on the open road and suddenly the exhaust note gets meaner and suddenly you are at over 8,000 RPM looking for the next gear!

Newer accords are a bit more civilized and you don't have to thrash them quite the same to get power, they are nice on the open road. Had a later model Accord 2.4 sedan as a courtesy car for a week which wasn't a bad drive.
I would own one!

billyfieldman, Jun 12, 4:52am

pandai, Jun 12, 5:03am
Only if it has a V6

bryshaw, Jun 12, 6:30am

youngones2, Jun 12, 7:15am
wife car averages 12lt/100km and mine is 7lt/100. we live in mosgiel but work in dunedin so have 2 hills to climb each way on the motorway (15km). agree honda sounds nice (143kw) but it wont keep up with mondeo as they have no torque compared to the t/diesel.

tamarillo, Jun 12, 7:20am
The NZ new had one engine only, the 2.4 with 148 lovely kW and a revvy spirit that love a blast.
And they don't speak Japanese, they are all high spec as Honda only bought it high spec ones, no fleet sales here.,

tamarillo, Jun 12, 7:23am
Hey I'm glad the diesel suits you, but the vtec is a rev hungry engine and using revs will keep up no problem, and yes I've used diesel mondeo as my colleque had one. The accord suited me much better, cost far less to service too.
I'm confused with your wife's car though. is it a standard new model 2.4? I never got less than 9 and I used its engine fully all over South Island.

lugee, Jun 13, 1:58am
Got my eyes on the NZ New Euro with the 148kW K24 and 6 speed manual for next car

Currently got a 1997 JDM Accord F20B manual (first of the 1997-2000-something model so it's half modern looking, and it has snazzy factory HID lights which was bloody rare in 1997 (can't quite understand it)

youngones2, Jun 13, 7:04am
yes its last of that model nz new 2.4lt. her number plate is "lead ft" so points to how economical of a driver she is. agree on servicing just had 60k gearbox service for $600+. forgot about that i chipped my diesel to 150kw/420nm torque as soon as i bought it.

cagivachick1, Jun 13, 8:11am
bought a 2011 nz new accord r spec tourer, all the fruit, not worried about back seat as kids all gone just a couple of mongrels in the back,goes good not sure what the issue on the hills is with other poster as hills no problem

bastardsquad, Jun 13, 10:20am
This. My daily is an 07 2.4 type-S. Very nice to drive, comfortable interior no lack of power, handles well for it's size, 12.4 km/L average. Negative in the wagon for me would be road noise in the interior and length of vehicle when parking in urban carparks.

tamarillo, Jun 7, 3:23am
Good choice, enjoy.
And do you still ride a cagiva?