Repaint for Clearcoat Flaking.

motig, Jul 10, 7:33pm
Toyota Vitz red paint has the clearcoat peeling off on the roof and bonnet. Any ideas on how much to repaint these areas? Its going in to get front bumper fixed and repainted under insurance and just wondered if anyone had a rough idea how much extra it would cost to get those areas done at same time.

2sheddies, Jul 10, 7:39pm
The two regular posters who'll be able to answer accurately are gunhand or attitudedesigns.

At a complete guess I'd say $5-600?

rovercitroen, Jul 11, 1:30am
I recently had the roof of my Audi S8 repainted due to clear coat flaking. All up was $500. Nice job too.

poppajn, Jul 11, 4:02am
Had the bonnet done on my BMW $540

lookoutas, Jul 11, 6:35am
They saw you Euro's coming.

Insurance price would be $480. For a plain colour.

tub4, Jul 11, 8:59am
And you think because they get screwed over by the insurance companies they'll work for next to nothing for everyone?

motig, Jul 11, 7:56pm
Just an update - approx. verbal quote $400/ $500 for roof and a wee bit above doors which I'm happy with.

wind.turbine, Jul 11, 8:07pm
$560 +GST for my roof and bonnet on my Triton which is black

lookoutas, Jul 11, 9:02pm
We don't rip people off just coz they're going private tub.
Not a very nice thing to do!

The ripping should be somewhere else.

elect70, Jul 12, 2:44am
Speaking of paint anyone tried that SC stuff in the can or by the L what type of paint is it as they dont say what coatings its compatable with .

tub4, Jul 12, 3:58am
I would have thought an off the street customer would be looking between $500 & $600 for a good job around these parts.
While no longer in the trade still in touch and doing the odd respray to help friends & family.
Used the new waterborn a couple of weeks back.

grangies, Feb 17, 6:05pm
My quote on a small car like a Vitz, would be about $450 + GST . That would be to remove the bonnet, and sand the entire roof and bonnet down to a sound surface where all the clear coat has been removed. Then mask and apply a high quality wet on wet 2K undercoat, then red base colour and two coats of 2K clear on top. Unmask, refit bonnet and out she goes.

Other option would be strip the bonnet and roof to bare sheet-metal, and wet on wet prime, colour, clear. For about $650 + GST