Driver licence class question

matt5209, Aug 17, 8:08am
Hi guys,

Trying to figure out what licence I need and am a bit confused.

If I want to drive a large SUV and tow a large trailer boat, and the total weight is over 6t, what licence do I need? I'm not talking about wanting to drive a Kenworth here, just something a bit over the 6t limit.

Is this the combination vehicle 2F licence?

Cheers for any help

martin11, Aug 17, 7:02pm
Not unless the SUV is a class 2 vehicle . What is the weight of your boat ? If its over 3.5 ton it will be classed as a cof trailer .
Sounds like you may need a HT vehicle to tow it .

2sheddies, Aug 17, 7:27pm
Hmmm. Don't quite know where you got that first bit from poster #2. I've never heard of it. The tow vehicle GVM alone has nothing whatsoever to do with it as far as I can see, aside from contributing to the all up weight. It's the combination weight that matters. You are required to hold a class 2 if the whole kit and caboodle exceeds 6t. Wouldn't be too many pickups or 4wds around NZ weighing 6 ton gross either I imagine. maybe those big arse American ones would give it a good nudge though!

Class 2 means you can drive a combination vehicle 12t or under according to the nzta page. Link below.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-licences/getting-a-licence/licences-by-vehicle-type/what-you-can-drive/

So yes OP you need a class 2 it would seem.

martin11, Aug 18, 6:59pm
Trailers and vehicles over 3.5 ton come into a different class they are cof and HT Vehicles

martin11, Aug 18, 7:21pm
There is an exemption for driving up to 6000kg on a class 1 licence to cover the likes of camper vans , But trailers over 3500kg are heavy trailers HT Class and you cannot tow them with a class 1 vehicle .
Also there is braking and insurance to consider .

What is the type of Tow vehicle and boats actual weight on the trailer ?

dlmckay, Aug 18, 7:35pm
No, there isn't. If the vehicle is over 6 tonne, then you need a Class II licence. Just been through all this drama with NZTA and had to upgrade our licenses to drive our camper.

tintop, Aug 18, 9:59pm
Class 1 up to 6,000 kg GVW, for campers/mobile homes and tradepersons vehicle as long as actual on road weight does not exceed 4,500kg .

boss_hogg, Aug 18, 10:07pm
SShhhh Martin11, it's embarrassing.

tweake, Aug 18, 11:18pm
that only applies for learners and restricted license holders. full license holders can do 6000kg.

brapbrap8, Aug 18, 11:25pm
That is not something that gets enforced much, if at all though.
The bigger trailer boats on the market these days are over 4 ton on the trailer and still registered as a light trailer, and towed by class 1 vehicles.

tintop, Aug 18, 11:30pm
Ah yes - Further down the page. :)

martin11, Aug 19, 6:54pm
Until you have an accident and the insurance can decline you claim ! Has happened in 3 cases that I know of .

tweake, Aug 19, 10:46pm
yeah much like the amount of boats sold with unbraked trailers towed by vehicles that couldn't stop if they tried.
the boat industry doesn't give a crap.

tweake, Sep 23, 2:14am
not much comfort to the other motorist hit by the way would trailer when they are sitting in hospital or buried 6ft under.

laws that are not enforced are deemed not to exist.