Would ESP save you from black ice?

bwg11, Jun 27, 9:48am
Yes, I really feel for the family. I live quite close and know the bridge involved. A friend was in the Fire Crew which attended.

snoopy221, Jun 27, 9:52am
Sad

Ayers met Armstrong soon after her 21st birthday, nearly nine years ago.

She gave him "everything", he said.

"I was never out of control but I was a 24, 25-year-old living an 18-year-old life, so she brought me back to reality and stability."

Two weeks before Armstrong's death the couple had achieved their dream of owning a rural property.

Ayers said he had wanted a place where Armstrong, a passionate horse lover, could wake up, walk outside and see her three horses.

"She was a very strong-minded person, she knew what she wanted as well as being extremely kind and generous and would do anything for anyone - especially her close friends."

A funeral service for Charlotte Christina Armstrong will be held on Monday at Academy Funeral Services, Riccarton.

lookoutas, Jun 27, 8:53pm
But there'll still be the Gunner Graham's that rant on about physics and all that crap. When in fact, they haven't walked the walk as brap has here.

I haven't done it in a controlled environment, but the back roads of the King Country have provided a fair few kilometres of serious peddle.

The technology helps, but it doesn't "prevent"
The human factor will always be the problem.

angelab, Jun 27, 9:44pm
Very sad. Another reminder to be extra cautious on bridges, the first surface to freeze with the cold getting at the road from the under surface as well.

kevymtnz, Jun 27, 10:11pm
NO
air temp 5C means the start of frost at approx 2m
3C grass now frozen and anything above ground that has water is frozen
0C all moisture from ground up is frozen + any sitting water will now ice over
-2 sitting water starts to freeze approx 5-10mm thick water on road is now frozen including the ground
so to make this easy if the air temp is below 3C black ice can occur drive accordingly
myself at 0C i be driving at 20ph max

timmo1, Jun 27, 11:19pm
Turbo coupe? The worst in my experience are drivers of soft roaders or SUVs- 1800kg + vehicles where the effects of mass are masked by the ESP systems. I've been a passenger in such a car and the loss of confidence from a over confident driver relying on ESP systems is quite frankly scary.

elect70, Apr 20, 3:05am
Yes i think so too I was hardly moving . Anyway some one else problem i sold it ( with ABS connected )