Engine stuffed at 45Kjust out of new car warrenty

Page 1 / 2
llortmt, Aug 21, 6:59am
Mat: I don??

bigfatmat1, Aug 21, 7:18am
Again I am not saying you did anything wrong. As I said I believe 45km is a unreasonable time for engine failure regardless if there was early symptoms heck there might not of been any. I cant answer questions you ask I am not involved just giving you some independent advise. on possible symptoms and the cause.

kevymtnz, Aug 21, 7:31am
what are the rest of the bearings like big ends and mains
re poss fail oilpump
is it possible the oil way to that bearing became blocked
if its just one bearing this looks like the poss cause
but how and where what caused the blockage

llortmt, Aug 21, 8:06am
Kev: Originally after stripping they apparently said it had run A bearing, however weeks later that is now bearings in their email. No info on where the blockage was/is as I said they never checked oil pressure before stripping it down.
The bottom line is I don't really care what happened, I just want to see my customer taken care of rather for a ride.

pdc1, Aug 22, 9:11am
so please educate me with this theory of big bearing failure because injector leak burnt through tappet cover gasket. Surely these engines will have a strainer on the oil pickup pipe, and then from there it goes on to the oil filter. . Debris from gasket should have been caught before it got to galleries. The other scenario is that filters got completely blocked and I can??

clatty, Aug 22, 10:00am
we bought a diesel Ssangyong work mate .I have it serviced by SsangYong at 10,000k intervals . I not happy to go to 15000 they reconmmend.Now done 35000

clatty, Aug 22, 10:05am
How can it cost $16000 to fix the engine of a $28000 vehicle?

aredwood, Aug 22, 11:52am
My guess as to what happened. One of the previous garages put cheap mineral oil in it. Engine sludged up. Nice new full synthetic oil dislodges some sludge which blocks oil feed to bearings. (2000K should be about right for this to happen) Surely the sludge can be analysed to see if it was produced by mineral oil? Ask owner for copies of invoices for previous service work. Do they say what oil was used?

intrade, Aug 22, 12:54pm
I just read the first few post. To find a leaking worn injector you need a factory scanner and look at compensation data and other things . quite likely you won't notice anything unless you do this on time and ssangyoung is not covered well in aftermarket scanner and even less injector compensation data . I get the compensation on my rosstech vcds for vw

llortmt, Aug 23, 2:20am
Pcd1: No, there was never a comment about contamination of oil other than metal in it.
Clatty: $16k will just be the start, if authorised it there would be all kinds of unforeseen extras. Have you checked your injectors yet? I think I??

clatty, Aug 23, 3:30am
I find the SsangYong to be a quiet soft riding vehicle and don't want to change it. The SsangYong salesman I spoke to said the tray is designed for luggage rather than farm work etc.This is where I have a problem with the ute .About 15yrs ago I bought a tractor off a local dealer, paid $45000cash but didn't know the firm had changed hands that day.There were allsorts of problems.I used a mechanical consultant to do a survey in preparation for a court case.Paid $3000 up front for a useless report all about him and nothing about the tractor.Also when the tractor should have been prepared for sale I should have ended up with copy of a workshop report. Four tractor firms worked on this tractor none of them knew what they where doing.I have no faith in anybody much. If anybody is buying they must have copies of workshop report to prove the vehicle was prepared and checked out . I never dealt with the new owner of the business the loss to them is huge.

clatty, Aug 23, 9:05pm
If the vehicle is out of warranty then the owner has to pay for repairs. When the warranty period has passed then liability shift to the owner. this is what happens when we buy stuff.

exwesty, Aug 23, 10:47pm
Consumer Guarantees Act, reasonable use and life expectancy.

clatty, Aug 23, 11:19pm
This vehicle has to be serviced to a high standard and there seems to be questions to do with this.Dont worry plenty of finance available. In my 50 yrs farming and truck ownership stuff up would have cost me millions.

johotech, Aug 24, 5:16am
So all you guys will be stocking up on 50 or 100ml sample bottles, and keeping samples of oil drained from every car at every service from now on?

Glad you are doing your best for your customer llortmt.

goodcat, Aug 24, 7:20am
as a tradie I have driven lots of diesel vans over the years an they have there place if your doing lots of ks ,but these modern diesels seem to have more than there fair share of issues an if something goes wrong its usually eye watering expensive to fix,i know of 2 tradies with diesels that have shit themselves not long out of warranty,both were over 10 grand to fix! ouch. something people need to consider when buying a modern diesel

pandai, Aug 24, 7:51am
Not if it's used for work

clatty, Aug 24, 10:48am
after goodcat thoughts I am beginning to think extended warranty for the engines is worth looking into

llortmt, Aug 24, 7:39pm
It's not, I think the guy might even be retired.
However the sale of goods act would still give some protection if it was.

goose16, Aug 24, 11:18pm
There's your problem. Cheap aftermarket oil filters have probably accounted for more engine failures than any other single cause.

OP. I followed this thread last week and refrained from posting.
You seem to be hanging your hat on advice received from the MTA and your own notion that all liability rests with the dealer.
The truth is that neither the MTA nor yourself are the determiners of liability. That power rests with whoever adjudicates over whatever hearing this matter is played out in.
I can tell you from considerable experience that neither tribunal referees nor court room judges are particular believers in coincidence.

Let me tell you how a lay person adjudicator might consider this matter.

A 3 year old vehicle with just 45,000 kilometres on the clock arrives in your workshop for a routine service. It's reasonable to expect that part of a routine service is a rudimentary check that all is working normally or at least that a competent technician would spot if it were not. There being no advice to the contrary we can presume that all was well when the vehicle arrived in your workshop. So given that the failure occurred just 3 weeks after your service, and that we don't believe in coincidence, where do you think we should point the finger?
And then we have your opening post in which you state that the oil you used "exceeded the specified requirement" which is another way of saying "differed from the specified requirements" and gives rise to wonder
what else differed from requirements, particularly with regard to what filter was used. Suspicions were confirmed in your latest post.

My thoughts are that, despite possibly not being at fault at all, the dealer will have to pay significantly but I would not rule out a finding against yourself. And possibly a substantial one.
If I were you I would be listening to the advice of those posters telling you to cover your rear.

therafter1, Aug 25, 12:58am
They haven't mentioned the filter as being the problem. And if the filter were to be the problem then it should be covered by Ryco anyway.

http://www.ryco.co.nz/#/Content/2030

elect70, Aug 25, 1:11am
with several parties involved if the owner thinks he should get recompense then he will have to take it to disputes tribunal . . Give him your affidavit of work carried out & materials used . but no opinion . .Could have just been a bit of crap blocked an oil, gallery in the crank , but as its been dismantled by dealer chances of finding out are nil . . Let the ref sort it will only cost him $50 & could get some recompense .

intrade, Aug 25, 2:25am
re 73 that will get messy as you need to find whom was the one triggering the original problem. i said it over and over modern diesel nuke them self with a domino effect once one domino falls no symptoms till enough domino stones have fallen and then boooom. its absolutely nuked propperly once the problem cant be masked by the system any longer.
And once you found where it started whom do you blame? the guy whom had no clue something was wrong because he dont uses a factory scanner and spends 6h mesuring every component and testing the diesel fuel for contermination. for a simple oil only service when he wont get paid for the rest if he had all the knowhow and factory tools.
it will be a blame game.

kenw1, Aug 25, 5:14am
That is not a 100% situation, we had materials acquired for business use that were defective, but because these materials could just have equally been utilised for non commercial use the DT still heard the case.

They also found in our favour.

llortmt, Aug 25, 6:05am
Goose: It??