Mitsubishi lancer cedia.any good?

myrns, Jan 5, 7:06pm
I like the look of these cars and I see one that is tiptronic and has a towbar, the car is a 2000 model with only 100,000kms, would it be worth looking at? TIA

kazbanz, Jan 5, 8:10pm
Known for failure of a minor component in the gearbox. Part itself costs $100 or less --repair cost is $3500

joanie32, Jan 5, 10:05pm
We have one as our back up car. has been very reliable and drives nicely.

jrlaw, Jan 5, 10:28pm
Had one from 14,000 k's to 162,000 k's great wee car drove it for 12 years. Our was a 2002 1500 cc C V T one. Did have some things coming up problems, Engine support bush for one. Used no oil no problems with the transmission.

andy61, Jan 6, 12:46am
Dont they use an old fashioned thing called timing belts?, better cars out there.Seen plenty with failed transmissions, and blowing blue smoke.

kazbanz, Jan 6, 12:50am
myrns-My suggestion to you is to tall a transmission reconditioning crowd like "the gearbox factory" or similar. Ask them about the cedia transmissions.OR call a Mitsubishi wrecker and ask them how much for a good second hand tranz.
See what reaction you get.

phillip.weston, Jan 6, 3:26am
It is a 15 year old car and most other vehicles at the time were also using timing belts. I think the responses from two owners above goes against your hearsay.

franc123, Jan 6, 4:10am
The presence of timing belts is not a really good reason in itself to avoid a vehicle. GDI issues are far more of a concern with those.

gazzat22, Mar 20, 2:00am
At least you can renew a cambelt at reasonable cost, or if you wish visually inspect it but a cam chain when it fails,goodnight nurse.Cam Chain is a good marketing ploy for some 2nd hand car dealers but they sure aint the answer but how many times do these guys advertise "CamChain,no Cambelt to change".Scares a lot of buyers but chain or belt cars dont go for ever,even properly maintained. Cars all used to have Timing Chains but manufacturers went to belts purely for cost purposes.