Trying to buy a brand new ute

survivalkiwi, Jul 12, 12:40am
I have gone and taken a couple for a drive. It is down to two different brands. I ask for a costing including a trade on my current ute. I give a list of extras I want. Two days later I get an email giving the price. Missing some of the extras I want. Two days later I am still waiting.The other dealership took a week to get back to me.
Why does it take them so long? I thought when someone turns up to buy a brand new ute they would have all the information at their fingertips.

intrade, Jul 12, 12:50am
they want you to shove your cash up there ass, this is not just the case its a new zealand wide phenomenon, no one ever returnes your phone calls , nor do they reply to emails , the email one is a world wide one .
the other comes from the olden days when you wanted something you went to a shop to find a sign gone fishing on the door come back later.
this attitude is still engraned in to most business whom are all going bust now . and they wonder why.
in europe you be out of business in 2 weeks with that attiude . its slowely coming to roost here as well.
When i built my place here i was on the phone over and over and over to make just 1 single thing happen on time.
in europe you give a job you make a date on time and 15 minute is the maximum time to be late for a job or you wont get a secound job from the contractor.

serf407, Jul 12, 12:52am
It is the beginning of the month. They probably easily achieved their ute sales targets last month with the Fieldays specials/ pricing.
If you wait till near the end of the month and they have not got their target they might be a bit keener.
City people in NZ are buying plenty of utes now, so there might be a shortage on some models, sales people might reluctant to tell you there might be a delay with what you want as you could go elsewhere hence the delay (in the sales process) till stock arrives in NZ.
Still selling plenty of Rangers and Hiluxes in Aus.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/363680/june-2015-car-sales-winners-and-losers/

intrade, Jul 12, 12:58am
so if they need to me there sales target they will try and do anything , and if they did meet there target your treated like dirt because they dont need you right now?

tigger8, Jul 12, 2:02am
I agree with intrade's 1st post. A lot of business's aren't really interested until you start to publicly make a noise. Word of mouth can close a business

cammey, Jul 12, 5:20am
Wifey wanted a heat pump. Three quotes is the rule here, dont pick the cheapest unless you know why its cheap is the policy.

Result ?

A month later she bought one from the only firm to actually send a quote. The other two mumbled a number or sent an email that didn't clearly show what was going to end up on the wall.

xs1100, Jul 12, 5:34am
what model of ute is it,maybe go out of town and see what happens

brapbrap8, Jul 12, 7:25am
I'm guessing (if you are a sane person) the Ford Ranger will be one of your options.
There is still a waiting list for Rangers at the moment, so dealers are not rushing to create too much work for themselves.
I saw somewhere recently that the Ranger is on track to outsell the Corolla this year so far, so no surprise if Ford salesmen are feeling a bit busy.

jmma, Jul 12, 7:35am

brapbrap8, Jul 12, 7:40am
Wow, very interesting.

whqqsh, Jul 12, 7:46am
agree with Intrade, on a larger scale we want to buy a property (to rent out for now then move to & retire later) We flew to the region we've decided on & spent a week looking at locations & visiting estate agents (about 16 over the 3 cities we visited) we get emails from only one & they show properties nowhere near the type we want or twice the price of the limit we set, a few others we've seen advertising on here since, have contacted them & no reply, phoned one who was so obnoxious I cut the conversation short & went no further. I wonder how some people actually make a dollar, especially considering they're on commission

survivalkiwi, Jul 12, 8:03am
You can buy a brand new ranger off the yard. So I am unsure where the waiting list rumour has come from. But there is a new model due out later this year and perhaps that has a waiting list.

intrade, Jul 12, 8:43am

survivalkiwi, Jul 12, 8:10pm
Dont be silly. Thats not up to spec. After reading on here I have concluded a ute must have lots of air bags and a four ton tow rating. A 7 speed manual box with costomised gears and a laminated dipstick A 4 litre common rail diesel. And if it is a
MItsubishi it will blow up on the way home from the showroom.
If its a toyota it will rust within a year and you must be a Bary Crump wanabe.
If it a greatwall it will be stuffed before you pick it up.
If its a Mazda everyone will point a laugh at you in it.
If is a Colorado it will lose it fluids every couple of weeks. (actually I know someone this happened to)
If its an Isuzu you should have bought the colorado.
If its a Nissan you must be a poof.
If you buy a Amarok you must be from Auckland.
If you buy the Ranger you are just following the masses

cammey, Jul 12, 8:32pm
Does the Ranger have proper 4WD?

I was told they have a dog clutch arrangement on the front axle, and low ratio is achieved without a separate transfer box.

Kind of a big butch looking truck with no balls.

Id be interested to hear if that's correct.

mals69, Jul 12, 9:33pm
SK - leverage
Send a bulk email out to the particular make of dealer you want
and ask for the best price - print off the lowest quote (all going well) and take them to your local dealer and ask them to match - watch how you suddenly become the king. Had a young guy buy a puppy off us from Timaru who was then heading to test drive a ranger at hutchies ch-ch only
so he could get a lower price from his local dealer.
Outlaw just bought 2015 TRD hilux - hot looking ute but does not drive any
better than a 20 year old nissan. Do not know what all the fuss is about - rather drop 55k on a pin ya back in ya seats V8 and buy a trailer , most utes show ponies that never leave the tar anyway. Granted if needs must but are most owners needs must ?

tigger8, Jul 12, 9:37pm
pity the deck is only 1.7m long other wise where can I get 3? LOL

survivalkiwi, Feb 14, 2:02am
Got to be 4wd ute. A car or station wagon for me would be about as practicle as a motorbike for me.