Thermostat question If it works in hot water

express, Feb 15, 9:20pm
from the jug does that mean its OK? It opens in hot water out of the jug and closes in cold water.

tamarillo, Feb 15, 9:36pm
Mainly yes. Opening and closing is a good sign, It is temperature set so needs to be acting at set temperature. A workshop manual will tell you, or mechanic might know what temp setting is for your car.

skin1235, Feb 15, 10:09pm
should be stamped on the thermo, like 80-98, starts opening at 80 fully open at 98 ( numbers just an example-- most start opening at about the 90 degree mark) may only have 1 number which will be the opening temp

skin1235, Feb 15, 10:10pm
but seriously if you suspect it and have pulled it out to check in the jug, just toss it and fit a new one

sr2, Feb 15, 10:35pm
I'm only speculating here guys but I suspect that the one car component that is most often replaced when there is nothing wrong with it has to be the poor humble, often accused and misunderstood - thermostat!

scuba, Feb 15, 10:59pm
or maybe find the real problem and fix that.

express, Feb 15, 11:32pm
Just replaced the thermostat and its getting to normal temperature with a run down the road. took off battery lead to reset ECU. Don't know if that's necessary.I'll see how it runs on my next trip

elect70, Feb 16, 2:59am
Agree I did that test yet in the car it hardly opened & car was running hot biffed it & new 1fixed it

intrade, Feb 16, 3:21am
here a few facts we dont know what make or engine you have
fact 1 some thermostat you cant test in boiling water as they open at 110° celcius and only start to open at 100 degrees like holden vectra ones for a example and there is plenty more modern cars whom run like this.
Next fact is you cant disconnect your battery and it resets the ecu. This might work on there like of old mitsis to name one example .
you wont reset nothing on most modern vehicle and disconecting a battery on some will lead to way more problems then you could wish for with doing such things on some cars.

in case somone dont knows water boils at 100 degree unless you have a pressurised closed system and coolant to lower the boiling point . just in case that was not clear why you dont test these thermostats in a jug

gsimpson, Feb 16, 9:20am
You could put them in the deep fryer

reb53, Feb 17, 5:34am
Doesn't a pressurised system actually raise the boiling point ?
The temp has to be higher than normal before the water will boil ?

neville48, Jun 13, 4:55pm
Some systems can get an air lock at the thermostat as well. Drill the wee blead hole that is usually tiny, to 3 mm can remedy this intermittent problem.