Swapping vehicle plates.

denisekitcher, Aug 3, 3:24am
Hi All

I have recently purchased a vehicle but I would like to retain the plates from the old car to the new car due to sentimental reasons.

Apart from physically swapping over the plates (lol) how hard is it to organize for the plates to be swapped between the cars?
Another consideration is would my plates show up as being 'Re-Registered' if that was the case?

Many Thanks!

seadubya, Aug 3, 3:28am

kazbanz, Aug 3, 3:37am
Denise-unless the plates are personalised plates you can't do it.

franko171, Aug 3, 3:44am
get them made as personalised plates

pandai, Aug 3, 3:52am
+1, I recall it being somewhere around $350?

bbboo, Aug 3, 8:01am
Now from $669 for 3 letters and 3 numbers or from $960 for any combo not cheap anymore

pandai, Aug 3, 8:38am
Nah a reissue of a Govt plate is cheaper

http://www.plates.co.nz/prices/

But although is says $379 on this page, if I punch my own plate numbers in, it says $339? Which is right?

curlcrown, Aug 3, 8:48am
I recall petrol being 85c a litre too.

pandai, Aug 3, 9:26am
I'm not that far from wrong

tintop, Aug 3, 11:02am
Ah - how about 3/3d a gallon ? lol

oldboyjohn, Nov 21, 12:39am
Generally they won"t make personalised plates that are the same as "live" plates without permission from LTSA. As kazbanz says they wont do it unless they are personalised.You need to write to them telling them why you want to turn your live plates into personalised plates.
I have done it once with a car who's licence had lapsed 10 years earlier but still had black plates. I had to apply to reuse the number as a personalised plate, have them made ($399),and then in theory put them on the vehicle (under the back seat!). As long as you can produce them if required they don't seem to mind.
You would have to be awfully attached to them to a) go through the hassle and b) pay the $$ ! (ps the time delay between requesting permission to make the pplates with the same number and receiving it was 3 months!)