VW Passat HELP

Page 1 / 2
bellababy87, May 16, 6:29am
Hi there
so I have a 2006 VW passat, i just listed it! Anyway, just tonight when i turned the heater on, the entire window fogged up with condensation, and there was a bad smell. The dash then said Check engine coolant, I took it home just down the road, and there was a gluggy white and orangeness to the water, I put fresh water in, nothing leaked. But now I cannot turn on the heater without the entire window fogging up and the bad smell coming on. You can only use the cold air con to de fogg the windows. Does anyone know what this could be, and if so, know anywhere that does a reasonably priced job>? So worried.

vtecintegra, May 16, 6:35am
Sounds like the heater core has failed

cagivachick1, May 16, 6:37am
unusual for a VW to give problems, jes on here will be along soon with a couple of pages of advice for you

intrade, May 16, 6:43am
dont run it any more , most likely your radiator heatrer core has blowen out hence the heater steamed your window from the moisture it evaporated , the heater needs to be bypassed befor you can drive it again and correct coolant added,

bellababy87, May 16, 6:43am
Yea and its only just ticked over to 14000ks. its done low mileage i dont understand why this is happening, the air con has been fine up until tonight and the windows just condensed right up.
Thankyou, and heater core? how much would i be looking at to get this fixed?

bellababy87, May 16, 6:44am
but i will need to get it to a mechanic? can i drive it with the air con off until monday?

intrade, May 16, 6:47am
price to repair wont be cheap as usually the whole dashboard has to be removed on most modern cars, i done it 2 times on my 89 ford telstar mazda took 10h labour to do it , i also have to still do my punto fiat that has currently a bypass loop installed.
Radiator cores are not the expensive part when you buy it from the right place the fiat core was 27 euros
the mazda they wanted 500$ for a heater so fited a secoundhand one that blew out 2 years later again fitted another secoundhand and sold the thing .

intrade, May 16, 6:49am
you can drive it the aircon has nothing to do with the blowen heater core you can use the aircon but you must check the coolant level the problem is when air gets in to the system it can overheat and crack the engine cilinder heads,

intrade, May 16, 6:58am

bellababy87, May 16, 6:59am
i had a mechanic guy call me and said he can do a bypass for now, but he also told me not to drive the car at all during the weekend. That is my only form of transport, im so worried, he said that if i keep driving it regardless if the air con is off, the water from the engine will go into the car through the 'hole' that it now has, and will go under the carpet and into the electrics, and the electrics will stop working. Is this true? I dont really know what to do. I can get it to him on monday, but in the meantime im a fair distance from anything and i have no means of transport to get around

bellababy87, May 16, 7:00am
yea he said that the part to repair is cheap but im looking at 10hr labour, how much is 10hr labour?

franc123, May 16, 7:01am
14000 or 140000km? Big difference.

intrade, May 16, 7:02am
he is correct , it just depends how big the leek is if its just sweating and not dripping out the heater core so how much water was lost?

bellababy87, May 16, 7:03am
14000 sorry.

intrade, May 16, 7:04am
it be over 1000$ to repair a core no matter even the toyota 2003 corolla i once inspected had its core disconnected so i told the seller 1 grand off your asking price or forget about it .

bellababy87, May 16, 7:04am
where do i find the heater core? im not sure cos we filled it up with water tonight, drove it to the gas station, and there wasnt really a change in the water. how do i find where to look for the leak?

intrade, May 16, 7:05am
my question is when was the coolant last exchanged? . its 24 month for any mdern car and regular testing with refraktometer is required for any coolant in todays cars.

bellababy87, May 16, 7:06am
oh god.

bellababy87, May 16, 7:06am
we put coolant in it when i got it and ive only had it about 4 months

ema1, May 16, 7:15am
4 months heck that's a quick turnover, got to wonder why . eh? ?
You have an issue there for sure, sooner it's fixed. or bypassed and sold with the defective heating system mentioned and factored into a lowered sale price the better.
It's gonna cost either way probably better to cut your losses. & run!
jazz might be a taker? Um.

tsjcf, May 16, 7:55am
Did your garage give you a price to fix the air injection problem? Easy to bypass the heater core but the CEL on will put lot of people off.

budgel, May 16, 8:23am
Your asking price has just halved IMO. No Rego, faulty air injection, faulty heater.

ema1, May 16, 8:29am
Stated as being in "great condition" NO errr I don't think so with above faults etc?

tamarillo, May 16, 8:52am
140,000 I think you mean. Assuming it's a jap import it could be more in reality.

bellababy87, May 16, 8:56am
THIS ONLY JUST HAPPENED TONIGHT. AND THERE WILL BE A REGO AS STATED