Too expensive?

tigertim20, Oct 4, 11:50pm
Ive been trying to sell a falcon ute for a while now.
Ive gradually lowered the price bit by bit, but in 6 weeks or more, Ive had one person view, a couple of the mandatory 'give you fiddy bucks and a bag of burger rings for it bro' text messages, and one or two calls.

I really thought it would sell itself by now.

Have a baby coming soon so I really want to get rid of it, Im wondering what I might realistically expect if I risked a $1 reserve on it?

or perhaps some tips on how it could be marketed or priced better?

franc123, Oct 5, 12:14am
I don't think there is anything wrong with the asking price or how its presented. You see AU's with higher kms priced similarly.

curlcrown, Oct 5, 12:22am
To me the price seems very reasonable for a ute. If it was me I would change the heading of the ad though, simply "Ford Falcon BA Ute" It looks like you've just copied what the rego label says and it doesn't mean a lot to mast people. If you have documented service history mention that in the ad as well and take a photo of the service book showing service history if it is stamped all the way through. maybe a mention of the tyres and a photo showing the tread if they are new of near new and if it has a tow bar mention that. I don't know about the market there but in Auckland it would sell quickly.

curlcrown, Oct 5, 12:24am
And forgot the mention, get a new WOF for it. The WOF expires next month and it would put some buyers off.

mm12345, Oct 5, 12:31am
Are used cars actually selling well at the moment?
2014 - more new cars were sold than any year since 1984.
2015 - first 8 months looks like it's about the same high level.
The year on year difference can be as much as 40%, something has to happen with the "extra" 40,000 or so used cars which have been replaced (and that's just from new car sales/trade ins)
Used import stats seem to be high too.
There has to be a glut of used cars at the moment. That doesn't bode well for used car prices.

franc123, Oct 5, 12:48am
Changing market too, I personally like Falcon utes a lot and vastly prefer them to the Asian sourced full separate chassis utes but the majority want dual cab 4x4's these days, and seemingly will pay silly money for them too. I'm stunned at what tired 2000-04 crewcab utes people are prepared to part with $20k plus for that are on a slippery slope towards expensive repairs to clutches, engine, timing chain, diesel/turbo/emission systems etc, that a Falcon ute owner would never be concerned with.

msigg, Oct 5, 12:48am
Yes seems cheap enough to me. but as said price sells, so you have to drop it, it is competing with all the other newer ute's on the market now( even if they are lots more expensive) can't compete with the double cab ute's, Only solution is to trade or drop price.

v8_mopar, Oct 5, 12:59am
Talking to other tradies they are going to vans or more so the likes of the Ranger. I find the Ranger and other 4 by 4 utes to high to be getting items from the well side. I just picked up an 09 fg for 11,000 and I'm stoked with that as mates move to the same age 4 by 4's for 3-4 x as much.

carclan, Oct 5, 3:04am
I sold mine about three months ago will 305,000 km on the clock for 500 less, went in a week

tamarillo, Oct 5, 3:12am
Valet inside top to bottom, remove seat covers. Heaps more photos including lovely clean interior, seats carpets, dash etc. clean engine bay and photograph. Tell me more about how long youve had it, service history. Service book? Tyres tread? Nice mags?
Every picture tells a story.
Video it all around, all inside, then starting and driving, reverse, 'no problems were aware of, drives perfectly. '
Talk about who might like it, tradies, farmers, hunters, carry off roaders, tow things.

elect70, Oct 5, 3:49am
True mate bough new ranger & while likes its power he is only 5' 7'' & says its too high to lean over to get tools & gear out of it & having climb over the tailgate is PITA . Didnt even think of it when he bought it . Used to his old mitsyL200 with side opening canopy . something to consider if buying a ute for work .

2sheddies, Oct 5, 4:50am
I wonder how much these twin cab 4x4's are about the trendy image than practicality. As the above posters mate discovered, they aren't necessarily the best choice for everyone. And in a tradies case, you lose heaps of tray space with a twin cab. Why you see so many pulling trailers I suspect. Plus you've got expensive RUC's, rego, dearer servicing, dearer tyres, etc, etc to consider. That would cancel out any savings made over the coons extra fuel use.

darryl, Oct 5, 5:38am
I wonder if being all the way down in Dunedin is limiting your buyer pool.

If I was looking I initially wouldn't think it was over priced, but seeing Dunedin would put me off. Not a lot you can do about that though

cagivachick1, Oct 5, 6:15am
People in Dunedin do buy cars you know

darryl, Oct 5, 8:39am
Oh good grief

mimik3, Oct 5, 10:59am
No sh|t sherlock.

mantagsi, Oct 6, 7:04am
Its kinda already been said in one way or another, but history history history. Like a fine work of art, a vehicle for sale will always benefit from having good provenance. The more evidence you can provide the better. People like to see that you have done all the things they have good intentions of doing but never actually will, but it makes them feel more confident if they see that the P.O has done all the hard work (or some approximation). Good luck with the sale

leigh2003, Mar 18, 4:30pm
I'd think the Dunedin bit is not helping. People like to test drive etc.