I have to ask 'cos nobody seems to know.

poppy62, Nov 29, 4:03am
Hi guys! Not really motoring but something we all use. I needed a 3pin "Female" 230v plug for a water pump. So I head down to the DIY centres and "Yes" they are available . but why are they so blardy expensive compared to the male version. Yeah, Yeah I know typical females and all. Anyway the price for a male plug starts at $2.98.and up to $11.95. The female starts at $16.99 an up. Same brand etc., Asked a couple of Zombies why the difference, they didn't know checked the supplier and they didn't know either I was told to contact the manufacturer and ask why. Ended up buying a 2m extension cable for $3.95 and cutting it for my pump. Funny thing is the male plug on the extension also came with a female adaptor on the back. Just asking!

tweake, Nov 29, 4:18am
why would you need a female plug, ie power outlet, on a water pump ?

purple666, Nov 29, 4:56am
Harder to manufacture would be my guess.

tweake, Nov 29, 5:01am
excellent, sorry had to ask seen people swap the male/female plugs around so male plug can possibly be exposed and alive.

male plugs are just pins, easy to make. female plugs have multiple contacts which is harder to manufacture.
edit: i forgot most electrical goods have male plugs which get damaged and replaced. its only really extension leads with female plugs. so a huge amount of male plugs sold compared to female.

andrewcg53, Nov 29, 5:03am
They need to be hard wired in, not a plug unless you want to be electrocuted if the pump has a leak,also the female plugs cost more because it takes longer to make and the dies are expensive to manufacture compered to male plugs.

skull, Nov 29, 5:23am
I think the main reason is volume, everything has a male plug and pretty much only extension leads will have a female plug. I know my use of them would be several hundred to one.

daryl14, Nov 29, 5:49am
You got the right idea with the extension cord. Job done.

poppy62, Nov 29, 6:46am
To the guys telling me the Female plugs are more expensive and harder to manufacture, I'm not convinced. So by your calculation the female end of an extension cord is more costly than the male end! As I said i bought an extension cord with male and female ends plus the cabling for $3.95 and you're Ok with $16.99 for just a female plug. Hmmmmmm! Fishy!

poppy62, Nov 29, 6:48am
Hi mate! if they're making them for the extension cords it shouldn't be much more to knock out a few more for hard wiring jobs.

snoopy221, Aug 24, 3:08am
Ya extension cord will be a moulded one-not one ya can screw on to a cable- lol