Best tyres (tread) on the back or front?

Page 1 / 2
seadubya, Mar 23, 6:58am
Some valid information in this thread, more than I had ever thought about. For me, new tyres have always gone on the front for all my vehicles, including classic and modern front and rear wheel drives.

stevo2, Mar 23, 7:12am
Done that and its HEAPS of fun thanks.

socram, Mar 23, 7:22am
Regarding ABS braking. I'm not ashamed to admit that I didn't fully understand it, whereas I did understand cadence braking. I thought (mistakenly) that ABS always used a variation of cadence braking at all speeds and pedal pressures.

It was only after taking a day course with Mike Eadie that I found out that the ABS only kicks in when you stomp on the brake pedal - something I have never really ever done.

It was only then that I also found out that you could have two wheels on wet grass and two on dry tarseal and still stomp on the brakes. Ditto, steering whilst stomping on the brakes.

Talking to a neighbour about this today, he too was oblivious as to how ABS worked in practice, so I wonder now many non-petrolheads really understand and do professional driving instructors teach their pupils?

Off topic maybe, but I suppose it is related!

alibobo, Mar 23, 7:26am
the correct answer to all, is camber them out and get the lowrider stance going on. even if you crash into a child, at least you'll be BALLIN

mrfxit, Mar 23, 7:28am
ABS is also spose to be set up to only active above a certain speed.
A Daimanti that we had a few years ago would activate the ABS if you leaned hard on the brake peddle at around 100 to 160kph.
Didn't have to stomp on the peddle at all

socram, Mar 23, 7:34am
It may well pay to try it on a deserted piece of road. You certainly need to press hard enough to feel it kicking back.

mrfxit, Mar 23, 7:45am
Yep did that trick with that Mitsi when we got it.

A stomp certainly would be enough to get the abs working but a really hard push should be just as effective.
It's designed to allow full but absolute minimum rotation of the tyres regardless of how hard you stomp or how hard you press on the brake peddle & will be totally avoiding wheel lock up.

ABS applies the brakes far faster & harder without wheel lock up then any expert could manually.

About the only exception is gravel roads at higher speeds

petal_91, Mar 23, 8:08am
I get the new tires on the rear thing because unless you're an expert driver you won't be able to catch the tail stepping out. What about a car with ESP and traction, would not these systems be able catch the understeer? Therefore with ESP and traction would it not be an idea to put the new tires on the front because the system will stop the rear swinging out and you also have a better chance of steering out of danger with good tires on the front?

tweake, Mar 23, 8:20am
it depends on the vehicle. some early ones where not that great but afaik the later ones the abs is active all the time. only time you get the pedal kick back is when the tire is actually skidding and the abs kicks in to keep it spinning. of course you would normal have to hit the brakes hard for that to happen.
some vehicles also have brake assist which applies the brakes quicker when you stomp on them.

gravel roads is where abs can be a pain. you want tire lock up which assists in braking in gravel.

tweake, Mar 23, 8:25am
excellent point.
i have no frigen idea on that.
i wonder what speed you would have to be doing to find its limits.
i must admit ESP and traction control make it really easy for idiots to drive fast on bad roads.

pauldw, Mar 23, 8:47am
Even ESP needs grip to work. From Mercedes
"Caution: ADAPTIVE ESP® can only act within the laws of physics. It is therefore impossible for ADAPTIVE ESP® to prevent skidding as a result of aquaplaning, for example. If the driver exceeds the physical limits, even ADAPTIVE ESP® will not be able to prevent an accident!"

brapbrap8, Mar 23, 9:51am
I know Audis have a button you push when driving on gravel roads that changes the ABS program to allow more lockup to keep more gravel in front of the tyre for better braking.

scuba, Mar 23, 12:23pm
This is the logic behind rear fitment of new tyres when fitted as a pair.

Lots of "experts" can think of possible reasons to do otherwise but this is why industry training is what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mziDnY1cOU.

It's not just "Bro Repairs" or "Ridgestone" the analysis in this case is from Michelin and they've put the time and money into it.

Bottom line is the other tyre manufacturers agree.

so go watch the video and see what the real "experts" think

richardmayes, Mar 23, 6:25pm
Most cars wear the front tyres faster than the rears.

So if you always put the new tyres on the front, you can end up with VERY old tyres on the rear.

Moving the rear tyres to the front and putting the new ones on the rear prevents this.

martin11, Mar 23, 7:03pm
My late model Audi A6 does not have a button like that its the Quatro Model no need for it .

mrfxit, Mar 23, 8:35pm
Any action can be induced when using pro drivers.
Tho, Spending th e amount of time & money to analyze & produce that video, you would have to presume they are being very honest.

The only real way for joe blogg's to understand whats happening would be for a traveling demonstration team at suitable tracks of course, for the general public to participate in real life testing & have it all videoed.
make it really really cheap or free & there will be plenty of ppl giving it a go

mrfxit, Mar 23, 8:37pm
Std test parameters dictate identical track/surface conditions/ cars/ speeds/weather etc etc & ONLY one thing changed.

Looks like they complied in that video

pauldw, Mar 23, 9:18pm
Those cars in the Michelin video looked like FWD Ford Tauruses to me.

bjmh, Mar 23, 9:59pm
back in the old days I tuned a rover 3500v8 that the owner said missed at 80mph. so after my demon tune I dutifuly pedalled it up past the nominated speed,whereupon a rear tyre that had the tube poking thru a wear hole in the tyre. decided to blow out.It was a sphincter moment for a while.A couple of lessons learned that day,roadtest to the speed limit and check the rest of the car before going for a blat.When I told the owner what happened he says "aww yer,forgot to tell you one tyre isn't flash".

lookoutas, Mar 24, 5:30am
Come on munchies - its got nothing to do with conditions, concrete or on the moon. That was comparing an apple with an apple.

That's what the tyre guys are given to relay to their customers, so that's what they do, and it's correct for them to do it, otherwise their arse is on the line. If it doesn't suit, or you don't like it, put the bastards wherever you like.

lookoutas, Mar 24, 5:57am
You're just splitting hairs man.

Not interested in my father having a faster car than yours.

sr2, Mar 24, 6:15am
Fitting the new tyres to the rear is very much the right thing to do for a number of reasons.

1. As much fun as over steer is the auto industry unanimously agrees that understeer is far easier to control, (there is a reason the pit manoeuvre is designed to induce over steer).
2. Tyre failure (deflation, delamination etc.) can be detected earlier by the driver if it happens on the front axle.
3. In the event of front tyre failure or loss of traction the driver can compensate with the steering wheel.

lookoutas, Mar 24, 6:20am
Looks like I might have to thank my wife again - for training me to deal with things like this.

seadubya, Mar 24, 6:23am
Have you got a scowl on your face, your hands on your hips, and a padlock on your undies?

lookoutas, Mar 24, 6:32am
Na - just reminiscing of the day I had to tell a topdressing pilot that I had thanked my wife for training me to deal with him.
Humf - why's that? he said.

Coz you're like arguing with a beepin woman!

And I had actually thanked her a couple of days before. Which didn't go down too well either!