Tyre pressures for a nissan terrano

mbikeman1, Oct 8, 10:35am
I had a quick google and it said between 30/35psi .They currently have 40psi in them and I can see the tread in the middle of the tyre is sitting lower than the outside looking like its under inflated.It has 15 inch 30s on it

andy61, Oct 8, 8:22pm
On my Terrano ,I keep the pressure up around 40-45psi(thats what the tyre shop recommended),if there is less tread in the centre of tyre, you have overinflated the tyre, but if both shoulders have more wear ,they are underinflated, if its one shoulder showing wear, get the wheel alignment done.

mals69, Oct 8, 10:52pm
34 psi what firestone put on sticker of my terrano - worn bit more in middle,
I just now run 30 psi (chch bumpy roads) and if shoulders start to wear go back to 34. 32 psi prob the go - heavy loads and open road driving 40 - 34. Think 40 for normal driving way to high - hard on suspension. Just do few thousand k's and you will work it out what suits best for you individual needs, tyre size. I'm running 15/235/75
firehawks AT

mrfxit, Oct 9, 5:26am
You have to be kidding.
ppl can't even get reasonable wear on cars at 34psi never mind a 4x4.

My 88 Surf had 31/10.5/15" on std rims & I got really good km's at 38psi all round.
If I went lower psi on the front, the increased wear was obvious really fast

tweake, Oct 9, 6:54am
it varies a huge amount depending on what tires you have,
try a few different pressures and see what its like.

one thing is front and rear pressures will be different due to the difference in weight. i can have 40psi front, 30 psi rear unloaded or 50psi rear fully loaded.
a mates one drives horrible with anything over 28 psi.

mals69, Oct 9, 11:03am
Cheers for the laugh mrs fix it - so you know more than a guy that has worked in the tyre business for 30 years ? A google source from the OP ?
My experience owning the same vehicle as the OP ? And the post after yours ? Heaven help how you get on actually trying to fix things with your floored logic - cause you experienced what you did with an 88 hilux you want to tar all other vehicles as being the same.

mrfxit, Oct 9, 7:26pm
45 years in various parts of the motoring industry & non of that as a car salesman.
I NEED the best tyre life I can get out of any vehicle I have owned in direct relation to what I am doing.
I HATE wastage when it's not necessary & get pretty good lifespans out of all my vehicles when other ppl with the same vehicles end up trashing them way before I need to.

The Surf was used as an example (As any sensible person would have realized) because it's a similar type vehicle.

mals69, Oct 10, 1:24am
Any sensible person would realise that they are not correct
when so many others are saying different based on experience.
Similar vehicle but not the same suspension etc.
45 years in the automotive industry - suspect you suffer
from old timers disease - aka Lost The Plot !

rob_man, Oct 10, 2:15am
I run 35-40 in my Prado because that's what works best, I have no idea what the recommended pressure is.
I'll try not to drop my logic on the floor in case it gets flawed.

a.woodrow, Oct 10, 8:22pm
Most people in the trade would say what mrfixit has said. It's called real world experience, over a variety of vehicles. Tyre fitters are not necessarily the best source of longevity advice, it's not really in their best interests. You deciding he is wrong based on your experience with one vehicle is actually the flawed logic.

And why is it you feel the need to make it a personal attack anyway? there are other forums better suited to you. general and parenting would be a good start

mals69, Oct 10, 9:14pm
I suggested to the OP to use trial and error - the vehicle in question is a terrano - the guy who wrote my sticker out has worked with tyres for 30 years. Mrs fix it comes in and his opening line is "You are kidding" yeah I was kidding wasteing the OP's time and mine - like pulling teeth round here - take the time out to give advice based on actual experience with the same vehicle, what someone in the trade has said, also suggest to use trial and error - and the messenger gets shot ! 40 PSI is far to high in a terrano unless you love heaps of vibes - take a chill pill - too many old serious farts on here, more suited to kicking back in a rocking chair with a cuppa of tea and watching coro .

pdc1, Oct 10, 9:19pm
Lol. What model terrano, tyres, and use/load?
It is most likely 35 will be good starting point, and then
adjust by reading tyre wear, and feeling ride and steering. 50 in a unloaded terrano will likely wear the centres prematurely and feel harsh inside car, meaning it will shorten the life of suspension components etc. Terrano set up right with good tyres will do more than 100,000km on set of tyres at 35psi. I know this 3 times in last 25 years.

mals69, Oct 10, 9:34pm
Cheers for that - yep they seem more sensitive to a few pounds more than other vehicles, yes harsh a better word than vibes.

Woodrow - What gives you the right to call Paul Laffey who is a good honest bloke, worked at Firestone Rangiora for decades on a large variety of vehicles, part owns and works at Firestone Shirley - a cheat ?

a.woodrow, Feb 28, 9:01am
Yes because I clearly singled him out. I suggest you read my post again. I didn't call anyone a cheat. But I apologise. I'll use shorter words next time I post so you don't get confused