Worlds Fastest Indian

Page 1 / 2
upnorth, Jun 8, 7:27am
On Maori TV tonight at 930

m16d, Jun 8, 7:43am
Or. ok.

ridiculousness, Jun 8, 9:45am
Awesome movie, got it in our collection, we have watched it hundreds of times and I never get tired of seeing it, especially the parts where Burt opens the ole girl out and blitzes those young dudes on their shitty bikes, and then when he has the one test ride on the salt lake with the officials following him and he opens her out and blitzes them too.

intrade, Jun 8, 9:45am
100 the indian comes last lol

sr2, Jun 8, 10:39am
Just loving watching it for the 20th time.

"Sometimes you live more in 5 minutes at that speed than many people do in a lifetime". Go Bert!

snoopy221, Jun 8, 10:46am
Yarr was gunna post aboot it. good sunday viewin,,,,as ya dogood ole kiwi stick some wood in 4 a wheel lol

shortee2, Jun 9, 11:59pm
Good Movie

kazbanz, Jun 10, 12:38am
probably repeating myself a bit here.
I saw that movie when it first came out.
I literally a couple of hours before had been out at Pukie punting a couple of 1000cc bikes round.
I made the comment to my lady that it shows how technology has come forwards in leaps n bounds.-I was doing "that speed" on a basicicly production bike anyone could buy a couple of hours back.
A couple of young fellas overheard and made it quite clear they thought it was bovine escrement.

bjmh, Jun 10, 2:32am
we thought we were the ducksnuts doing a ton on a bonnie/beeza whatever. yep times have changed,a mate runs a quad for hill climb. they are aiming at 200hp for next year

kazbanz, Jun 10, 3:51am
Im one generation behind you so it was all about getting to 200 on the GS thou or Honda rollerdoor.
amazing really-a gixxer 600 puts out more HP than a gsx1100 used to

ladatrouble, Jun 10, 5:43am
And all you have to do is pay the money. I'm like Bert, I ride an old bike (daily) of old technology, and enjoy the satisfaction of working away on it getting the best I can out of it.

purple666, Jun 10, 6:01am
Up until the movie there wasn't many Kiwi's, especially in the North Island, that had ever heard of Bert. Rode an Indian back in the 70's myself and knew all about the old bugger and his exploits.
Glad to see that he now has proper place in our motoring history.

reb53, Jun 10, 6:23am
Is it true that the bike displayed down South is actually only the engine of Burt's bike ? And all the rest of it is still in the States as Burt only used to bring the engine back to NZ to work on , and left the rest there ? Makes sense with the cost of freight etc, especially in those days. The bike down South is always advertised as "The Fastest Indian", and I wondered if anyone here knew.

neell, Jun 10, 6:31am
In the Bonnie/BSA/Commando/Trident days it was MPH not the silly km/h.
The "ton" was for real.

cheapy11, Jun 10, 6:37am
Its definitely the real thing at E. Hayes & Sons in Invercargill. I was there one day talking with Neville the owner & Rod Millen was there trying to get the bike to his Leadfoot festival & I remember Neville telling me that the bike is only insured whilst it is in their Invercargill premises

kazbanz, Jun 10, 6:43am
The ton is the ton mate. First "real" bike for me was the CB350 twin. styled on the trumpies.
160km.h hanging on for dear life is a memory i'll never lose

ladatrouble, Jun 10, 6:51am
We knew about Burt, but in the '70's we weren't riding modern bikes, we were on pre unit British stuff. I used to do WoF's on Bert's wife's car. I always wanted to ask her if she really was married to ''that'' Bert. And people there knew who Burt Munro was too. a long way from Invercargill.

morrisman1, Jun 10, 6:52am
no not true. The bike is there minus the streamliner.

Everyone would come through the shop and get excited about the one in the streamliner when that just had a ducati motor in it (movie model), Only half the people would take a second glance at the real machine (which was enclosed in a cabinet).

reb53, Jun 10, 8:01am
Yep, Honda 350 twin for me too.
One hand on the handlebars, and the other down on the fork leg to reduce wind resistance. Chin on the tank as well of course.
I'm sure I've seen a book somewhere of famous bikes and there was an American bloke whose family owned Burt's bike, less the original engine.
The story was that as Burt travelled backwards and forwards to the US over the years he only ever took the engine with him as that was what needed
repair, or upgrading to get more power/reliability.
For someone as impecunious as Burt makes a lot of sense.
Probably in Hanna's book, I'll have a check when I have time.
I know people think the Ducati/movie bike is his.

stickman100, Jun 10, 9:20am

nzjay, Jun 10, 10:47am
Many of you "young bucks' wouldn't have recognised who Rollie Free is. the big guy with the cigar that befriended Burt the first time he went to the Lake.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollie_Free
Rollie also started off on Indians which is probably why he approached Burt. Rollie's feat is possibly one of the most read about over the years.

nzjay, Jun 10, 10:57am
. and a bit of stupidity. My first "ton" was on an early Triumph Speedtwin with reversed head and trumpeted carbs facing forward. I later found out how fragile these motors actually are at revs!
I can do it with ease now on a '70's bike. and still get the buzz.
Check my profile pic.

sr2, Jun 10, 12:19pm
My ???1st??? was at the tender age of 15 astride my 58 T100 with the bodywork removed, a diy set of clip-on bars, a fresh motor (with homemade 2 into ones with a megaphone exhaust and a good tune - thanks Dad) and most importantly an overabundance of the fearless youthful exuberance that early memories are often made of. Wearing an army surplus ex WW2 Grey-coat, safety goggles, some welding gloves and an old 2nd hand pudding basin helmet, (standard attire for young, broke, early 70's motorcyclists) the road was simply there for my taking. (I didn??

lauzie, Jun 10, 8:04pm
When we were doing the ton on old brit bikes it was on bikes that had frames from bikes usually designed for road speeds around 80mph with brakes to match. Great fun and a major thrill doing your first one. Sheer crazy when you look back.

kazbanz, Jun 10, 8:27pm
But then the japs didn't do much better in that department did they.
Good solid reliable motors for sure, But frames made of chewing gum and brakes? Who had the bright idea that stainless steel disks were a good idea.In the dry --maybe -in the wet the back drum and engine brakes had more stopping power till the disk dried out.