Question about a ford telstar :)

jordie03, May 3, 9:53am
Hi everyone.
I have a question about my ford telstar tx5 1990.
Lately when I have started it it sounds like a truck! The belts are very noisy on it and what im guessing is the automatic choke. It also needs a push of the accelerator / bit of gas when starting or it stalls. Would I need to get new belts or a tune done to fix the problem. Ive put new spark plugs in but no change for the stalling.

franc123, May 3, 10:09am
Would need to know if its carbed or injected, TX5's of the era were fitted with both depending on what variant, motor and whether they were Jap imports or not. Is the engine very rattly?

xs1100, May 3, 10:24am
change oil/filter air filter fuel filter and rad inhibitor and squirt some CRC tac too on those belts

tamarillo, May 3, 8:20pm
When last serviced. Not within 10,000 km or year? Get serviced.

jordie03, May 4, 6:49am
It had a full service done last october but have done a bit of driving since so will take it in. Thanks xs1100 will put those on the list of things needed to be done

intrade, May 4, 6:56am
you need to do a lot of maintainace by the sound of it.
what service have you had done last october?
are you one of them who thinks a wof is the service?
please be precise as to what was done under Service.?

gsimpson, May 4, 6:56am
When you get a service done take note as to what they have replaced. They should note poor belt condition for example and replace if required. They may need to retension the belts.
Make a note of symptoms or problems for your preferred service agent.

intrade, May 4, 7:09am
The stall problem will be the carburettor i assume it has a carb is completly gunged up with carbon and blocked idle air mechanical gap- hence opening the throttle plate is required to start it.
it would need a full carb clean then new plugs and the leads also if they are old cap and rotor if needed. then tune the ignition and a new air cleaner new oil filter and new fresh oil.
then check the coolant is still glycol capable to -40° below zero.
and a new petrol filter fitted.
and the belts changed if required
thats all matching the symptoms you discribed what would need to be done cost will be quite huge as loads . Not performing correct services dont means your saving money its just going to cost more in one hit later on plus the damage that could occure.
A 1990s is rather resistent to abuse like this if you would do this to a 2005 model you would be walking already by now . with and the repair bill be in the 1000s of $ for the damage the neglect caused on it.

kayceejay, May 4, 7:24am
while you,re at it get mechanic to look for air leaks in any vacuum lines etc,- if its injected check condition of rubber pipe between airbox & motor too

jordie03, Jan 29, 10:44pm
Thanks guys! Taking note of what you said and going in tomorrow . The last service was
oil change oil filter chassis lubrication brake fluid power/s fluid transmission fluid exchange air filter all shocks done and cv boots antifreeze power/s flush radiator flush