Mazda Atenza / 6 Gearbox Slipping

flossy64, Feb 9, 5:59am
Hi All,

the gearbox on our 03 Atenza, just started slipping, particularly in 3rd gear (auto/triptronic) I had a transmission oil and filter change done on it last week under the suspicion that it didnt quite feel right on a recent long trip. I was wondering if anyone has had issues like this and roundabout what the cost was to rectify? I will have to put it on a truck in the morning (we live in the wops) to the local mechanic and go from there anyhow.

brapbrap8, Feb 9, 6:18am
We had a similar issue in an 03 Mondeo (same car I think?) ended up being an inhibitor switch in the transmission and about $450 to fix I think.

flossy64, Feb 9, 6:48am
Thanks for that. I would love it if its that simple. Makes getting around hard as my wife cannot drive our manual VW

skull, Feb 9, 6:55am
Because it's manual or because it's a VW?

flossy64, Feb 9, 7:14am
haha bit of both, its a 72 beetle so piggy to drive regardless. Been a long long time since she has driven it on the road.

poppy62, Feb 9, 7:43am
Either way it's out of your depth Skull!

quickbuck, Feb 9, 7:58am
Um, no. Ford and Mazda stopped sharing the platforms didn't they?
The Mondeo is the same as the baby Jaguar though.

robbo36, Jun 27, 1:40am
The Mazda 2's, 3's, and 6's which have the 5 speed transmission apparently had a "shift shock" issue between 3rd and 4th up shift where the car would shudder as it shifted. It is a common problem which Mazda are aware of and repaired the trans back when under warranty. The problem is they used the same housing in the 4 speed for the 5 speed transmission. What happens is the piston is a hardened material and the housing piston bore is alloy which wears and the trans fluid leaks past, which causes the bands to slip on the drum. If you keep driving the car with the shift shock issue, then more damage occurs and the drum and bands will also require replacement.
See more here:- http://workshop-manuals.com/mazda/3/l4-2.0l/transmission_and_drivetrain/automatic_transmission/transaxle/band_apply_servo_a/t/component_information/technical_service_bulletins/all_technical_service_bulletins/0501010/aug/10/a/t_3-4_shift_shock_under_load/