Nissan Note and Honda Fit

ambo11, Jul 20, 6:43am
Looking for a run around for the wife, she likes the look of 2004ish Honda Fit and possibly Nissan note, so any pros/cons with these? Realise they both have CVT and the importance of fluid changes. Any known issues with either? Anyone who owns one I'd appreciate your thoughts,cheers.Looks like the Note is physically roomier than the Fit. Not interested In Demio/Colt etc etc

thejazzpianoma, Jul 20, 6:51am
You don't really want the opinion of a Note from someone who has bought one (because it's an idiotic decision) better to ask a transmission repairer and some panelbeaters.

The Note is a disposable Japanese market car designed to be scrapped after 3-5 years. They are built accordingly. Regarldess of how well you service the CVT in one of those, the transmission is a very limited life proposition. Likewise there is no rust proofing to speak of and it's not at all uncommon to find serious structural rust in hidden places (like the firewall). Totally out of sync with what you would expect of anything since the 80's. Take the badges off one and you would think it was some sort of no name Chinese vehicle based on the build quality.

The Fit is a much better car, but it's spoiled by a CVT that also doesn't last. I would suggest some better alternatives but that will only result in the usual band of pitchforks and torches. So you will just have to look in to these issues for yourself.

Best of luck with it all.

peja, Jul 20, 6:51am
Friend of mine has a Fit. He reckons the visibility out of it is really bad, huge blind spots to rear and side. His old 50's Humber Super Snipe had far better visibility, but he says the Fit is better on gas (this is not surprising!)

I gather the Fit's also have issue with the front suspension steering bushes wearing out prematurely, causing alignment and tyre wear. Apart from that they seem to be OK, no CVT issues.

Somebody else I know has had two Nissan Cube's which are based on the same mechanicals as the Note if I recall correctly, and those have been brilliant. He ran one up to well over 200,000 kms before passing it on

countrypete, Jul 20, 6:53am
I think you didn't read the OP properly. She is talking about a Nissan, not a VW. everything you have said applies to the VW, not the Nissan.

intrade, Jul 20, 6:56am
nissan if it has that then i recomend dont buy it
because i have done most of my professional training on a nissan wingroad , and i was on a 2 day training just for programming of this key and its potential knowen problems. for nissan i doubt any swapron will even remotly have a glimps of hope in fixing that.
http://www.chaaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/what-is-Ikey.png

ambo11, Jul 20, 7:10am
Yep have heard of faults with Fit transmissions, it would of course be serviced properly by us but no ideas of how it was serviced prior.
I like the Note, but a little cautious as we had a LaFesta which had a rooted CVT (noisy when hot, bearings etc stuffed).
I like the Toyota 1st, but the wife is fussy. but I can "discourage" her from some cars. she love Tiidas but they are CVT also.
Nissan March is too low, Colts she thinks are revolting (but apparently reliable). Sorry Jazz but euros are not in the mix as I live with constant euro failures in well serviced ambs on an almost daily basis (Mercs included, sadly) so its Jap only, or possibly Ford Fiesta. Cheers

thejazzpianoma, Jul 20, 7:16am
A little bit amusing given what you are looking at!
I am pretty sure the Lafesta uses the same CVT as the Note, could look it up if you are really interested. Suffers the same issues anyhow.

Just remember that while servicing is very important, both the Nissan and Fit transmissions can and will fail prematurely regardless of how well they are serviced. The Honda is potentially the cheaper of the two to repair. If you do buy a Nissan, feel free to come for some advice when it's CVT fails as you can at least save some money on repair/replacement if you go about it right.

Pity Nissan and Honda don't make large vans doing heavy commercial work, then you could almost make a fair comparison.

aoc1, Jul 20, 7:32am
Having actually owned a Nissan Note I would recommend them. The only things I struggled with was the poor reversing lights and how low they are when carrying extra passengers over speed bumps. They have heaps of room and are comfortable to drive.

tgray, Jul 20, 7:37am
Jazz, I respect your opinions, but 3 - 5 years is simply not the case.
I take your point however.

tgray, Jul 20, 7:38am
I simply wouldn't trust a Honda Fit's transmission.
It is well known they are prone to failure.

henderson_guy, Jul 20, 7:43am
Have you looked at the mazda 2/demio?

ambo11, Jul 20, 7:51am
Hi yep looking at Demio and also bringing her round t looking at Colt Plus. Which of the smaller cars is the highest off the ground?

stevo2, Jul 20, 7:56am
While I personally dont think the Note is a good solid car, there are dozens of 2005 models for sale on here. 2005 is when they were first introduced.
Seems that they have exceeded their lifespan by 200 or 300% yet they are still running fine.
O.P., I wouldnt be buying either of those two cars myself unless they were real cheap.
I'd be looking at the Toyota/Mazda models that may be similar ie Toyota Wish, Mazda2, Ford fiesta,

grangies, Jul 20, 7:58am
IMO. All small cars are just cheap and nasty little piles of sh1t.

But if I HAD TO buy one, I'd go for a Toyota IST.

toyboy3, Jul 20, 8:00am
Have a look at Toyota funcargo easy get in and out

grangies, Jul 20, 8:00am
Stevo2. A Toyota Wish is a 7 seater station wagon.

tgray, Jul 20, 8:03am
Now that's a car I really have a soft spot for.
I think they are seriously under rated. Fantastic little cars.

stevo2, Jul 20, 8:03am
True, thinking ist, typed Wish. My Bad

tgray, Jul 20, 8:05am
1. It's a Mitsubishi.
2. It has a CVT transmission.
I wouldn't.
I think the Demio is the better car.

tard_me1, Jul 20, 1:43pm
My wifes got a CVT 2003 Colt import with almost 250,000k's on the clock now, it has been GREAT car, she has had it for over 5 years now. Have only had to replace just the consumable stuff

kazbanz, Jul 20, 8:52pm
Ambo-The Honda Fit is a good little vehicle and is nice to drive.
As long as you allow for replacement of the primary clutch pack when buying one.-around $2000 gets the clutch fixed.
The Note isn't bad if its for carrying passengers. The juggage room is less than a Fit.
My Choice would be a DY series Demio (2002-2007) if load space is important. They have adjustable seat height.
If load space isn't an issue and buying on a budget then I'd suggest looking at the Toyota Will Cypha. The Cypha IS a Toyota Vitz or Ist with a funky body shape.

tgray, Jan 16, 2:30am
And if you can live with the shape, you sometimes come across them well priced. There is currently a 2004 on Trademe for $3500 ono. (No vested interest).