Benefit with going to a larger filter?

morrisman1, Aug 14, 7:09am
Running a Nissan SR20VE, in motorsport conditions. The stock filters are a z436, and I see that z411 is identical but longer.

Would there be any difference in filtration performance between the two external sizes?

pericles1, Aug 14, 7:43am
Wouldn't run a larger than OEM size oil filter on that engine. VVT engines are very particular with oil pressure and larger filters can upset flow.

pericles1, Aug 14, 7:48am
I would run a Wix XP filter which are a wire-backed synthetic media I get them for around $20 so it's like the flash JDM ones (HKS, TRD etc) but a third of the price. Also I would recommend Motul 300V Power Racing 5W30 oil as it is a full ester synthetic that can hold up to the heat generated in motorsport conditions.

morrisman1, Aug 14, 8:11am
Where do you get your wix XP? I saw them online, wasn't sure if they were any good though.

I was looking at Penrite HPR 10, 10w50 full synthetic, any thoughts on this for my usage?

The car is used for sprints, hillclimb and motorkhana and the occasional track day running up to about ten minutes at a time. Im keeping the track stuff down to a minimum till I get an oil cooler on there though.

morrisman1, Aug 14, 8:13am
This is just VVL, not VVT. The oil pressure goes to the rocker arms when the computer activates the solenoid and as long as there is sufficient pressure (about 30psi from experience), then they will work. It runs about 80 psi under high RPM when hot.

budgel, Aug 14, 8:49pm
The oil pressure issue is interesting. Audi offer a larger filter for the 1.8T engines which is supposed to improve things in a higher engine stress situation.

broomfish, Aug 15, 9:12am
We did the opposite and ran the Z436 on an Evo8 rally car in place of the Z411 as it was smaller (filter points straight down on 4G63T). and less likely to be damaged.

happylad3, Aug 15, 7:46pm
I think you'll find that the 411 isn't the direct replacement filter for an evo. The factory filter is a lot shorter and fatter. And is only about 50mm long.

cone1, Sep 21, 3:05am
Stick with the smaller filter.