Best Toyota for $9K - hatch style

flyingpencil, Nov 22, 7:08am
So I'm finally going to buy a car built this century. With $9-$10k to spend, and having had hatches or small stationwagons previously, I am looking at Toyotas and wonder which is best - the corolla, ractus, allex, ist? What is this CVT thing that seems to be "bad". Seems the Funcargo is a good option too based on the other threads I have read.

kazbanz, Nov 22, 7:30am
They are ALL really good vehicles. Your best bet though is to have a look at which of the options best suits YOU!
Allex,runx and corolla 2001-2006are all the same car -different name
Ractuis is the new version of the Funcargo
Ist-based on your description is probably too small in the boot.
CVT in Toyotas isn't presenting generic issues so I wouldn't worry too much

flyingpencil, Nov 22, 7:35am
Thanks, was wondering about the Ractus. Probably cheaper as it's not so sporty looking.

seadubya, Nov 22, 7:38am
Blade? Bigger engined Toyota hatches, if that appeals.

flyingpencil, Nov 22, 8:10am
Had never heard of them, but I looks a bit big. Only need 1.5L

mals69, Nov 22, 8:32am
NZ new mighty manual corolla

2get1, Nov 22, 7:08pm
The 2006 Toyota Bb is a good wagon, a tonne of room inside good features and really economical. You can easily fit 4 large adults in them. If you fold the back seat flat you can fit 3 bikes in boxes ready to check in at airport. They're like a little van almost. Reliable to. Looks a lot cooler than a fun cargo, goes and handles well and can look quite cool with some nice mags.

flyingpencil, Nov 22, 7:16pm
Thanks, I did look at one of those yesterday and wondered their reputation.

2get1, Nov 22, 7:23pm
They are also sold as a daihatsu mitaria and a Daihatsu coo and there is also a model sold by suburb, can't recall its name. They are all the same car lol different badges and spec levels. I imported one about 3years ago has proven to be very reliable and great little car. Did my home work before I did so and couldn't find anything bad about them. Engine and gearbox is shared with a lot of the same age size jap hatches. Done my own servicing everything had been easily obtained at repco.

noswalg, Nov 22, 9:45pm
I don't recommend the Vitz, bought the missus an 05 one a year ago with 70k on the clock, since then it's had the coil pack replaced, the passenger side mirror fold in/out motor goes off on a tangent every other day, the ABS light has recently started coming on and just noticed yesterday a large patch of clear coat on the roof has started to lift, some of these things are service items but in comparison to my 02 Subaru that has 170 k on the clock and has cost less than $1000 in repairs in the last 5 years I feel Toyota has dropped the ball on this one, or we just bought a dud!

kazbanz, Nov 23, 12:41am
Im sorry dude. You bought a dud. -actually not so much a dud as you have been unlucky.
The mirror thing really is bad luck. Someone has given the mirror a wallop and burred the plastic gear.the easy fix for you is to unplug the whole mirror as long as its set properly for the driver.
The coil pack really is bad luck.
paint lifting---Is it pink? The pink vitz's in 05/06 seemed to have clearcoat issues.

noswalg, Nov 23, 1:36am
yep pretty much the plan for the mirror when I get to it, the coil pack was paid for by dealer as it was about 4 wks after buying it, hopefully the ABS issue is just a wheel sensor and the car is green. After a bit of googling there's lots to suggest the Yaris had issues with clear coat around 07. Any rough ideas on the cost to respray a Vitz roof in clear?

kazbanz, Nov 23, 2:36am
You don't respray the clear sorry dude. id budget 200-250 for a roof. Is it new shape -05 and newer or old shape 00-05 --makes no diff to price
I'd be looking close at top of rear hatch,door handles and bonnet

noswalg, Nov 23, 11:16pm
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/427638819.jpg its the newer shape kaz, the damage looks weird to me almost like its been attacked by something, can't see any other peeling anywhere. If they don't spray the clear how do they apply it?

jmma, Nov 23, 11:36pm
Looks like things have been dragged across the roof, ie handbags?

noswalg, Sep 18, 9:25am
haha, that was my first thought but it looks like a whole lot of deep scratches that have cut through the clear coat I'm certain this has happened in the last month!