Swifts, Tiida, Yaris.

Page 1 / 2
sxcstar, Oct 7, 10:48am
I'm looking to update my car and have been looking at the 2004+ Suzuki Swifts, Nissan Tiida hatchbacks, Toyota Yaris. I'm wanting an automatic 1.5 and under and have a budget of around $6000 is there any other cars you could recommend I look at. Initially looked at the Honda Fit but felt quite cheap and awful riding to me.

nesta129, Oct 7, 11:13am
Go for the Toyota Yaris or Vitz.
2004 Honda Fits occasionally have problems with their gearboxes.

andy61, Oct 7, 4:01pm
if you thought the Fit was awful riding, you will hate the harsh ride in a Swift.my father got rid of his Swift for that very reason,plus the lack of space in the rear of the car.

stevo2, Oct 7, 4:53pm
The Swift and Yaris are direct competitors, the Tiida is the next size up (its floorpan is based on the Renault Megane).
My daughter bought an 1800cc Tiida on Sunday and has driven Auckland to Tauranga to Taupo and is very happy with it.
All 3 have proven to be good reliable -if somewhat uninteresting- motoring.

dinx, Oct 7, 7:32pm
I like my colt plus series 2 with floor change, roomier and cheaper.

vtecintegra, Oct 7, 8:35pm
Same platform and the Clio, the Megane is related to the bigger Nissans like the Qashqai and X-Trail

richardmayes, Oct 7, 8:52pm
Tiidas have great back seat leg room, if that is of any use to you. ?

I drove one once and it wasn't a "fun" car by any stretch, but for around-town use it fitted our family of 5 in a LOT more comfort than I expected from such a small car!

Some commenters on here have had pretty bad things to say about the engineering quality of them though. (Light, tinny, already rusty straight off the boat. )

poppajn, Oct 7, 8:56pm
I have a 2005 Vitz, comfortable, good on trip's (I'm 6') easy to get in and out of, economical,

tlronny, Oct 7, 8:59pm
My sister has an '06 1800 Tiida and has been great so far but definately not inspiring. Enough power for town and plenty of features - some bag the shit out of them on here but hers has been more than adequate

peja, Oct 7, 9:22pm
Vitz (AKA Echo. Yaris) is a good little car, a bit dull but reliable, economical and reasonably comfortable. Partner got one for $6000, no issues with it.

A few people I know have Honda Fits - lots of issue with premature failures of front suspension/ steering components, tyre wear, gearbox issues. One friend went to a Fit from an early 50's Humber Super Snipe, says the visibility out of his Fit is horrendous, the Humber was far better, although he did say the Fit is easier on gas

geedubu, Oct 7, 10:22pm
Mazda Demio is very good. You could get newer than 2004 for 6k.

poppajn, Oct 7, 10:47pm
Rust issue's in the front crossmember's to watch for.

tamarillo, Oct 7, 11:39pm
The toyotas are up to their reputation, but you pay for it.
Some swift autos are CVT as is Nissan. The earlier versions have a poor reputation for doing decent miles. I think NZ new swifts had conventional auto which is more reliable though not as efficient.
Nissan is a cheaply made car.
Mazda Demi's as others said.
Fit seems to be depending on year, they've had CVT boxes which proved bad news, but some have ordinary boxes.
CVT has got better and it's fair to say that if they are serviced with right fluids they can be okay. But you won't know that on an import.
Have you looked at Ford Fiesta or if too small focus. Great driving little cars.

vtecintegra, Oct 7, 11:41pm
Yeah Fiesta is good in that price range

The Jazz/Fit rides as well as anything else in that class so if you were unsatisfied with one of those you'd probably be better off looking at bigger models

dingo011, Oct 8, 12:41am
^^^^^^^^^^^^ what tamarillo said, my mother had one and sold it at 190k having done nothing but the normal service stuff. That was a couple of years ago and still see it around Wellington.

sxcstar, Oct 8, 5:48am
I'm upgrading from a Ford Ka. Size of car isn't really a concern as it's just me driving to work and home and the occasional trip out of town a couple times a year. The main reason for the upgrade is wanting an auto. I have driven quite a few swifts with previous job and current job at a car yard. I'll discount the Fit as looking at a few of them I really just don't like the look. Will have a look at the Fiesta and Focus.

geedubu, Oct 8, 5:51am
The Mazda Demio is basically a Ford but better assembled. Just got one for my sister-in-law; very impressed.

dutchie92, Oct 8, 10:00pm
would you be interested in a 2009 Suzuki Splash for only $6,980?

poppy62, Oct 9, 3:35am
Smart Forfour $6k would buy you a very good low Km one. Mitsubishi Colt chain drive motor. 6speed tiptronic/automatic box good safety and economy. Consumables are cheap and its a bit different to the rest.

tamarillo, Oct 9, 3:53am
Yeah. no.
Shared platform but when it comes to mechanical parts that wear they're not really related much. Japan sourced ones use Mazda own engines etc.

sxcstar, Oct 10, 7:29am
Not a fan of the demio as the radio in them can't be replaced.

sxcstar, Oct 10, 7:30am
I want to keep it as close to $6,000 at this stage. If I spend more than that I will just have my late 20s crisis and buy a convertible haha

sxcstar, Oct 10, 7:32am
Will have a look at the smart forfour. I did like a Ralliart Colt I drove at work a few weeks ago, but was under the impression the Colt was kind of like the Fit/Jazz, cheaply made and doesn't age well cosmetically.

kazbanz, Oct 10, 9:13pm
UMMMMM er yea well yasee.
In the case of the 02-07 (DY series) demios you CAN find some with a normal radio. Have a look at the pictures of the dash board. You will see the ones with a normal radio. in the case of the next generation you CAN have a normal radio fitted or a kiwi radio

stevo2, Oct 10, 9:26pm
I think the later model CVTs are quite reliable as long as they are maintained.
Daughter wanted a Tiida 1800cc so we found her one with a CVT thats done 65,000km so its due for a service now as it appears 60km is when it should be done.
As a fresh import, we can assume it probably hasnt been done so at least we know its never had the wrong fluid in it.