Tyre rotations on Audi four wheel drive

tamarillo, Feb 10, 6:43pm
Notice tyre shop put sticker in window saying when next rotation is due. Now on front or rear drive, especially older cars without electronic traction control, I get it. But an Audi Quattro is, I think, full time four wheel drive surely? So is it still relevant?
Fronts have to steer but backs take more weight on acceleration.
Be nice to wear them evenly but struggling to think rotation is needed. Ideas from people who know something?

bill-robinson, Feb 10, 6:48pm
front to back on the same side

tamarillo, Feb 10, 7:44pm
Ok but why? Won't four wheel drive distribute wear evenly?

bill-robinson, Feb 10, 7:49pm
steering, at the front only,makes a difference

tamarillo, Feb 10, 7:55pm
Thanks that makes sense.

bigmuz1, Feb 10, 8:06pm
Get them all to wear evenly = having to replace all 4 at once. Or do Audi drivers not have to worry about big bills?

bill-robinson, Feb 10, 8:41pm
bit like most subaru drivers, safety first, cost second

mechnificent, Feb 10, 8:47pm
And we don't like different diameter tyres with four wheel drive. It causes bind up/slippage of the drive system.

clark20, Feb 11, 9:31am
Some are FWD until slippage occurs, then drive pushed to the rear

supernova2, Feb 11, 10:20am
I looked at an AWD the other day where the factory correct tyre is 215/65R16 and some twat had fitted 2 215/60R16s on LF and RR.

Just how stupid can some people be?

mechnificent, Feb 11, 7:30pm
Ha. I suppose at least it was one at each end and so not binding the front/rear proportioner system.

bill-robinson, Feb 11, 8:03pm
nor the front and rear diffs.

mechnificent, Feb 11, 9:27pm
It would cause the diffs to work. Left and right axles will be rotating different distances with every rotation of the wheels.

mrfxit, Feb 11, 10:15pm
FWD front tyres roughly take .

80% of the braking force
80% of momentum force (which is body weight transfer) created when braking hard.
90% of turning forces
Full impact force on potholes
80% curbing hits/ scrapping
100% of acceleration force

On the majority of vehicles that have never had tyres rotated but has been driven sensibly with sensible tyre pressures, the front tyres will be changed at least twice before the back tyres.

Back tyres carry weight in a straight line with a minimal sideways pressure.
Yes there is a bit of weight transfer backwards when accelerating but ONLY while accelerating.
After that, the back is simply following
Front tyres get every force possible on a FWD vehicle.

The figures are not a lot different for RWD but mostly just swapped around.

mrfxit, Feb 11, 10:32pm
Full time four wheel drive (AWD) front tyres

80% of the braking force
80% of momentum force (which is body weight transfer) created when braking hard.
90% of turning forces
Full impact force on potholes
80% curbing hits/ scrapping
65% of acceleration force (most AWD use a split torque of around 60% front/ 40% rear or 55/45%

On the majority of vehicles that have never had tyres rotated but has been driven sensibly with sensible tyre pressures, the front tyres will be changed at least twice before the back tyres.

Back tyres carry weight in a straight line with a minimal sideways pressure.
There is a bit of weight transfer & minimal acceleration torque backwards when running on flat roads at a constant speed & a bit more when accelerating.
Other then that, the back is simply following
Front tyres get every force possible on a FWD/AWD/RWD vehicle.

Neither of my postings refer to spirited or stupidly fast/ hard driving in any situation

mechnificent, Feb 11, 10:38pm
Who says I'm stupid.

mrfxit, Feb 11, 10:44pm
Who . ME . Never . Umm . yea NAH ;-)

mechnificent, Feb 11, 10:54pm
I reckon my tyres are just not tough enough. They should make them out of steel.

mechnificent, Feb 11, 10:55pm
I tried without tyres but then the gearing was all wrong.

mrfxit, Jun 22, 5:50pm
Easy fix, put taller rims on.
Wagon wheels are good like that ;-)