05+ Hiluxs with higher mileage.

wsnownz, Nov 21, 5:04am
Looking at these. 05, 06 model SR5s with 200 - 300 thou ks on them. They've been pretty rubbished in their time but seem to hold their own now. What exactly should I look for?

survivalkiwi, Nov 21, 5:09am
Another brand with lower milage.

budgel, Nov 21, 5:27am
A full service history would be a good start, then a thorough pre-purchase inspection.

wsnownz, Nov 21, 5:30am
Other than the obvious. I want to know the weak spots on these.

bwg11, Nov 21, 5:55am
I don't believe there are any serious "weak spots" as such other than the over-hyped injector seal issue. I believe it was fixed around 2010 and won't re-occur in earlier vehicles if the amended service schedule is followed. I've know several rural Hilux's with over 300k which have been constantly abused and continue to be as reliable as earlier models.

Edit: A service history is important, otherwise, do a full service after purchase.

cagivachick1, Nov 21, 6:34am
i had a 05, 07 and currently have a 012 all sr5dcs the first one was manwell the other2 autos, The gearstick in the manwells is like a old bedford one (big step back from the shifter in the 02) the autos are much better to drive but are hard on the front brakes, my o12 needs the rotors skimmed second time in 65000ks but i carry a bit in the back and tow a big trailer and boat sometimes, the o7 had the injectors replaced at 40oooks under warranty and the water pump needed replaced at 90000ks. The clock spring in the earlier models used to break but this was replaced under warranty as well. The o12 hasnt had any problems in the 65k i have done in it (apart from rotors) people say they are gutless but i havnt had any problems breaking the speed limit in mine, there are some big hills out of dunedin and she is working dragging the ship up them but without it its fine, build quality is great no bits falling off and no squeaks or rattles. would i buy one with 300k on it No i wouldnt but i generally turn them over every 3 years. As above make sure its been serviced etc, if you can make sure its parked facing down hill and start it from cold with you there if the injectors are stuffed it will chuff and blow smoke for a bit also will rattle badly which is overfuelling

cagivachick1, Nov 21, 6:37am
there is a aussie based hilux forum which will have the answers to all your questions google New hilux forums

2get1, Nov 21, 7:27am
I recently sold an 06 SR5 4x4 with knocking on 200,000km for $24K was in reallygood condition.

Had it since 120,000km,did all my own service.

If its a DMF,try and ascertain how its been driven, I knew about the DMF and clutch issues so drove mine accordingly at it was fine.

other than anormal service history,make sure cambelt has been done at required intervals and the biggest worry to look for is probably injector seals. make sure they have been replaced at correct intervals, can cost you and entire engine. The aussie hilux forum will have all the details. Thats were learnt about that issue and there is lots of really helpful stuff and mods there.Like for example if its an SR5 manual. They have electric front diff engagement with the fit mint of a simple rocker switch you have the ability to have 2 wheel drive low range. Bloody easy mod and bloody handy if you want to protect your DMF but tow heavy loads.

I used to have between 3 and 4 tonne behind mine and if doing a hill start or any start where you could get straight off the clutch. I would start in low range 2wd 1st gear, then 2nd gear then on the upshift out of 2nd would swing it back into hi range . being able to do that saves the DMF but also prevents bind up that can occur on pavement if in low range 4x4.

Its a real simple modification. Well worth doing.

Do the research on the injector seal issues and be carefull of one that hasn't had them done. In saying that you could have them checked but it would be not worth checking unless you are replacing them. I didn't use the dealership for that as they wanted aroundd $1k to do them. The loacal Diesel and turbo did the job for 1/2 as much, same situation with cambelt when I had that done,

bjmh, Nov 21, 7:28am
autos need maintenance,as stated brakes. i work on a lot of hiluxs most injector issues have been ironed out by now.One problem I strike is blocked fuel filter in the tank,major drama to get at. they block when people use dirty fuel. as in contaminated farm tanks.Maintenance history is tops.

wsnownz, Nov 21, 7:58am
Thanks heaps for your info. Looking at manuals only, only a little towing every now and then. Would have a pretty easy life. Would get a decent check done first and probably do a thorough service strait away. Cheers everyone

georgiam, Nov 21, 8:03am
For work I drive an 05 sr5, 462000km on it . Has had no work done aside from regular servicing. Injectors have been replaced around every 150000km as part of the maintenance programme. The only issue is the clear coat is starting to peel off the bonnet. I cant see any reason it wont go well beyond 500000km.

monaro17, Nov 21, 8:16am
that's EXACTLY what you should do

franc123, Nov 21, 10:12am
How juddery it feels in the clutch and how loose it feels in the gear lever are pretty good indicators of how a sheepshagger Hilux has been treated, if in doubt get an expert opinion. Abused versions seem to show wear in this area much earlier than the Hiluxes of old. Engines that seem too noisy and rattly especially when cold also need to be scrutinized carefully.

msigg, Sep 25, 2:11am
Yes they will do the big km as bwg11 suggests, I know of a 2005 with 330km no problems. Sweet as.