Camry timing chain

Page 1 / 2
rak1, Jun 21, 9:37pm
We are looking at getting a 2010 Camry and have noted that these cars have a chain rather than a timing belt. On our old camry, we replaced the belt evry 1000000Km. Does anyone know what the life expectancy of a timing chain is likely to be in one of these cars. Also, do they under seal cars these days or is the ex factory treatment good enough?

intrade, Jun 21, 9:42pm
its probably the automatic gearbox that is going to crap out and electronic modules failing and the corosion resistance in the 10 tausend meters of wiring that is going to bring it to its knees and empty your wallet of tousends of $ for miss diagnosed issues by your local swaptron moron mechanic . that would be more what you should be scared about the chain will be the least of the problems only after you repaired all other issues will the chain also cause problems.
How it works the tuffer emission rules the car meets the more problems you can expect.

attitudedesignz, Jun 21, 9:50pm
OMG! Is there no end to your scaremongering.
You really should step back and take a deep breath before you post.

These posts are anything BUT helpfully.

STOP IT.

mugenb20b, Jun 21, 9:51pm
Timing chains on a Camry should last the life of the vehicle as long as it's had regular servicing. However, some cars do have problems with chains, such as some Nissans and Suzukis. My Toyota Vitz has a chain and they too can give problems but so far so good.

As for the underseal on Toyotas, it's minimal or there's no underseal at all, in fact, they don't even bother properly painting the floorpan, panels around the engine bay and inside the boot. So, in my opinion, no, factory treatment is not good enough especially if you live near the sea.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 21, 9:55pm
Quality modern vehicles have been galvanised since the mid 1990's, Toyota unfortunately choose to scrimp in this area and are not.

At the risk of upsetting the very vocal "Toyota or nothing" crowd on here, you could do a lot better. Certainly a lot more practical and economical for your dollar too.

mugenb20b, Jun 21, 9:55pm
Camry. packing up? Sounds like a Tui add.

intrade, Jun 21, 9:58pm
its not scaremongering its telling the truth how it is. What you want is as little crap as possible on a car if you want no problems its why we got a 2011 dacia sandero in europe. it has nothing to go wrong not even power steering. it has no immobilizer but it has euro 5 emission airbag and abs headlight adjust with a phisical twist wire on plastic knob .

mugenb20b, Jun 21, 9:58pm
That's true Jazz, but not necessarily more reliable. By the way, I've got '92, '93 and '05 Toyotas with no rust at all. Galvanizing a car doesn't mean it will last forever. Nobody wants to drive a rust free run of the mill car for 3 decades, do they?

mugenb20b, Jun 21, 10:00pm
Awesome. Now read the OP's thread.

intrade, Jun 21, 10:04pm
you know the corolla clarkson has written off i know what did bring it to its knees. the car has been purchased by aecs.net and he told us 1 wire was crushed and that shut it down for good and the wires are ultra thin on it so much so that you could end up damaging the wire just by poking a hole to take a mesurment of the wire . the car is stripped and used for the new engine managment training
its not going to be a problem solong all is well , toyota have been holding on to old technology for a long time but emission laws forced them to also change to make it all the same as any other car maker. So dont base your purchase on the fact that toyota are bullet proof they are not any longer it ended start to mid 2000
basically a 2010 toyota vw merc mitsubishi , if i dear say that name they are all the same good or bad what ever side you look at it from.
owning a old camry dont be fooled that a new one will be as bullet proof the chances of that are slim to non so just be awear of that fact.

attitudedesignz, Jun 21, 10:18pm
I thought jazz was a shocker with his novels, but at least his posts are 'readable', whereas yours are getting worse and have been going downhill over the last year or so.

If you are a mechanic (which I gather you are), what kind of relationship do you have with your customers, if your posts here are anything to go by you must treat them like they're idiots.

intrade, Jun 21, 11:00pm
Most costumers come to me because they have been to 1 or more other shops who took there money and did not fix there car,
at times i have to turn some away like years ago a client comes with his mitsubishi gdi, i told him i dont know anything about it and therefor i cant even try and have a look , i told him to find a professional in auckland and his gearbox will crap out soon anyhow as a joke.
Some month later he said the gearbox packed a sad that same week . and he had a older subaru now if i could service that i said sure bring it in.

tiny15, Jun 21, 11:02pm
+1. absolute key board diarrhea, but at least he has got off the subject of diesel additives for a few months now

msigg, Jun 21, 11:05pm
The timing chain on the Camry is all good. As said it will last the life of the vehicle, they are fantastic cars, very reliable, haven't seen any rust or problems ever.

attitudedesignz, Jun 21, 11:11pm
So you told a customer you couldn't fix their car but it didn't matter because the gear box will shit itself soon anyway?

How do you stay in business with an attitude like that towards your customers?

Like I said, treat them like idiots.

Just because a customer makes some questionable decisions regarding car purchases, doesn't give you the right to ridicule them.

gmphil, Jun 21, 11:17pm
keep up with oil changes
all chain driven cars require lubricant from the oil
they say chain are supposed to last the life but some stretch and also the tensioner can wear out cause slack chain and in some cases will upset the car performance .
keep up with oil changes !

attitudedesignz, Jun 21, 11:17pm
Sorry for hijacking the thread but I'm sick to death of some on here bagging people that have legitimate questions re a certain car.

OP, I wouldn't have any concerns about the cam chain.
Our 01 vitz has just ticked over 319,000 and still going strong.

gmphil, Jun 21, 11:31pm
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/391753570.jpg
$60 buks supercheap .
I done well kids done all there cars in my boat trailer !

intrade, Jun 21, 11:34pm
correct now how to figure if the last owner did this.

gmphil, Jun 22, 12:13am
for the average new car easy way to tell is to remove filler cap.
if u can see the metal of the rocker in head cover by golden oil sweet .
if it black mess run forest run .

tmenz, Jun 22, 12:19am
How many million kilometres did you do in the car?

kazbanz, Jun 22, 1:06am
Despite the typical eurotroll "input" Im not seeing rustyunder camry's coming up in the jap auctions as a trend.
That suggests to me that underbody corrosion even in Japans northern regions isn't an issue for the Camry.
THAT SAID. If using the vehicle where a lot of salt is present then I would suggest a clean and a complete underseal.

gazzat22, Jun 22, 1:23am
The Jazzman seems to hate all japanese cars,Intrade at this point in time just mazda,s and Toyotas.I cant figure out why they,re so popular in NZ and worldwide Can someone enlighten me,is it something in the water?

snoopy221, Jun 22, 2:05am
Toyota translation of tausend Bugga and tousends Bugger L O L

10 tausend meters of wiring that is going to bring it to its knees and empty your wallet of tousends of

jason_247, Jun 22, 3:57am
maybe INTRADE should go work with our favorite writer for the dog and lemon guide.

Join the club of people who want everyone to drive a dull boring slow car so nothing ever needs to be fixed again. or anyone would dare have fun again