Toyota dealer thought Camry was a Corolla !

Page 1 / 2
mcscottwgtn, Mar 30, 6:58am
Sister went to Toyota Dealer tent at A&P Show to find out more about a new Camry RZ for her boy whom is about to turn 15. Dealer thought she was after a Corolla ZR Levin hatch. She couldn't convince him she was wanting to purchase a Camry! Sad how the dealer didn't know the product! Purchased elsewhere from someone whom had a clue.

owen106, Mar 30, 7:03am
The key issue here is that a 14yo boy got bought a brand new car by his mummy. Unbelieveable. Who is going to pay for all the running costs?

kcf, Mar 30, 7:11am
isn't driving age 16 now anyway?

franc123, Mar 30, 7:16am
Exactly, its unsurprising that a salesperson found such a request hard to believe.

bigfatmat1, Mar 30, 7:17am
That is because the dealer is confused as to why someone would buy such a boring car for a boy who cannot drive for another year!

ralphdog1, Mar 30, 7:17am
Let judgement begin, don't worry about the lack of facts.

gman35, Mar 30, 8:28am
Exactly. The only thing I can imagine is the camry is to be used as some sort of cure for insomnia that the boy obviously has ?

_peas, Mar 30, 8:32am
Farmers?. just chock it up against the farm profit to kiss the tax bill goodbye? I grew up in a farming town and most of the farmers kids had the fancy cars. well new cars, nothing fancy bout a Camry.

3tomany, Mar 30, 8:36am
good strategy from mum as if the boy is board to death with his new car he will leave it at home and walk to his mates, very safe them camrys

rlr29, Mar 30, 9:01am
This might be a bit like trying to sell a new TV to my mum. "No. I want the Magnavox 32inch for $1499 because that's what I like"

treecave, Mar 30, 9:03am
do teenagers walk anywhere

yellowsubmarine, Mar 30, 9:22am
Running costs on a new car will be cheaper than an old s***box death trap.

brapbrap8, Mar 30, 10:39am
Some car dealerships are very sceptical of young guys wanting to buy new cars. When I was 18 I asked the local Nissan dealership about aranging a test drive in a new Navara STX and pretty much got laughed out of there so went and bought one of their competitors products.

Couple of years later at the fieldays we were looking for some new utes for our work fleet, stopped in at Nissan and talked to a helpful young guy for a bit before he said he would get a senior salesman to come and do the business with us.
Senior salesman turned out to be the same knob who thought I was wasting his time a couple of years earlier, he recognized me and I laughed and walked out and went and bought a new Ranger and a new Triton instead.

franc123, Mar 30, 11:18am
If you looked at the age demographic of brand new vehicle buyers in NZ it is hardly surprising why a kid, or for that matter any older private buyer who looks under the age of about 35-40 who shows up at a dealership would be viewed with suspicion by sales staff, because for the most part such buyers don't exist, even for sub 20k hatchbacks. The two parties basically aren't used to each other because these encounters are so rare.

mcscottwgtn, Mar 30, 6:30pm
Is it? I don't have any nippers. Thought they changed their minds like the booze laws.

poppajn, Mar 30, 6:31pm
Windup thread

mcscottwgtn, Mar 30, 6:33pm
I did a trip to NY with him and his mummy. He couldn't walk anywhere. Had his noise in his apple all the time. Insisted on taxis or the subway a distant second.

mcscottwgtn, Mar 30, 6:40pm
The lad wants a mx5 in manual, but gets a 'safe' camry auto! Maybe the other parent will purchase the car of his choice! I found it had to believe that my sister would purchase such a yawn of a car, but she reckoned it was the safest. I thought something like a Nissan Cashcow would be more suitable as I think it is shorter, you can shove things in the hatch, it's a better car, probably safe, and you could go camping in it!

whqqsh, Mar 30, 6:42pm
awww. poor farmers

mrfxit, Mar 30, 7:39pm
Probably not.
My wife gets ppl wanting to buy or wanting advice on the latest Ipad or Galaxy tablet that they have already for their 2 year old.

A common complaint in those cases is the bill after the kid has been watching Youtube on Data all week.

mrfxit, Mar 30, 7:41pm
Could have easily been handled a lot better.
Scorning a teenager that badly, leaves a mark as an adult.

kazbanz, Mar 30, 10:06pm
So just to clarify. You based a business decision woth tens of thousands of dollars on the basis you dislike the salesman?
crikey I hope its your money you were playing with.

richardmayes, Mar 30, 10:39pm
It's a tough life, when your mum can't even buy you a brand new car for your 15th birthday because the common person on the sales stand was not bright enough.

Let them eat cake.

3tomany, Mar 30, 11:17pm
buy em a camry you might find out LOL

pebbles61, Mar 30, 11:53pm
Not likely since you need to spend 4 hours removing all the plastic crap off the top of the engine and need a computer to reset some silly orange light because the cup holder motor had a failure.

Also the new car is a shit box death trap. Well it will be in 5 years time when the next "safe" car comes out.