Car probems

Page 1 / 2
denisue, Apr 11, 2:08am
My car gearbox is on its way out.
I tried to start to move off on a slight hill and the car stalled.
All the dash board lights went out, and the brake pedal was right at the top of the play area.
I put it in neutral and let it roll back and turned everything off.
Waited a few minutes and started the car and off I went.
It has done this even on the flat.
How long is the gearbox going to last?
Or is that a question like how long is a piece of string?
I can't afford the $1600 I have been told it is going to cost to put a gear box in it. Not a new gearbox.
The car is a Honda Logo, 1996. Automatic gear box.
I don't think it is worth spending this amount of money on it, is it?

lugee, Apr 11, 2:31am
How and who by was this diagnosed as a transmission fault?

franc123, Apr 11, 3:13am
Lol as above, it might be a better idea to check how tight the battery terminals are or check the ignition switch isn't faulty, some late 90s Hondas were recalled for this. Dash lights staying off is NOT a normal side effect of an engine stall.

mechnificent, Apr 11, 3:14am
Yeah that doesn't sound like a transmission fault. It could be a torque converter fault, but I'd be suspecting something in the engine management/air flow piping, or that there is a wire or wire connector somewhere that is getting disconnected when the motor strains on it's engine mounts.

mechnificent, Apr 11, 3:18am
"Dash lights staying off is NOT a normal side effect of an engine stall.'.

Good point. I'd overlooked that. And I always listen carefully to what the customers say too.

Battery cables or main relay.

tamarillo, Apr 11, 3:29am
Sounds odd and agree with others to get checked better. Woulnt expect dash lights to all go out from box failure. There is likely some electronic control of box so it is linked, maybe it's electrical fault and gearbox mis behaviour is merely a symptom.
It should have a diagnostic port, I'd want it plugged in and checked if it was mine.
Does it drive well otherwise?

jmma, Apr 11, 3:43am
What are the brakes like? May be a brake booster or vacuum leak. (o:

denisue, Apr 11, 4:35am
I bought the car 6 years ago and the gearbox has always been faulty.
When I start off it sometimes shudders, sometimes, leaps.
In reverse you never know if it is going to leap, stall, or be normal.
The last garage I took it to they took it an automatic transmission place for an opinion, but there nothing they could do.
The oil was changed to see if it made a difference, but it didn't.
Sometimes when I put my foot on the accelerator nothing happens and if I put it on a bit harder that is when it bunny hops or leaps.
Every day is different. Sometime on the flat I can be driving along but if I change the accelerator pressure to go a bit faster, it will rev like it has gone into neutral, then has a little leap and carries on.
I have recently got a warrant of fitness, and brakes passed ok.

denisue, Apr 11, 4:37am
I had to replace an engine mount 8 months ago, and also have had the cam belt replaced 18 months ago. It had not broken, just at the km it was required.
Sick of spending and spending.

denisue, Apr 11, 4:39am
I am getting a tyre tomorrow, and wonder if it is worth spending on it.
One of those car collection places offered me $250.00.
Not sure what to do next.
Sounds like if I spent money on a different gearbox, the problem might not be solved. That would be annoying to say the least.

brapbrap8, Apr 11, 4:51am
At that age I would be trading it in on something better, it is likely to only cost more and more to keep running from now on.

inkapuka, Apr 11, 10:06am
I traded in my old car for same reason it just started costing more and more money I traded it in and they had to spend over 1k to fix it

mack77, Apr 11, 10:17am
I think that it might be best to get the fault correctly and precisely diagnosed so that you are in a position to make the best decision.

tamarillo, Apr 11, 10:28am
Is this a cvt box? I think later ones were, in which case it rules out torque converters etc. just maybe it's an early example of putting false electronic steps in the cvt to emulate gears, and electrical gremlins could create very odd symptoms I guess.
As others say, it needs a proper diagnosis.

denisue, Apr 13, 11:10pm
Thank you for all your input.
I have printed this out and will take it to another mechanic.
Obviously the one I usually go to does not really understand the problems.
A man I know used to work at the WOF testing station, and he suggested I take it to Strong Bros, which are the Honda people, so I might do that.

kazbanz, Apr 14, 5:43am
Honestly The issue sounds more like an engine management issue than gearbox.

denisue, Apr 14, 10:01pm
It is very strange, as some days it drives not too bad, then you get the next day it has all these problems.
It is the luck of the draw how it is going to go on the day.

intrade, Apr 14, 11:07pm
More like a electric electronic"wiring " corrosion etc fault . nothing to do with luck at all.

monsieurl, Apr 15, 1:24am
Have you taken it in for a second opinion yet denisue? Definitely sounds electrical too me!

denisue, Apr 15, 11:04pm
No, not yet. It did the same thing again, stalled on a hill.
It seems to start off on the flat ok, but any slight hill, it does not like the
load.
Have not got any money at the moment, next week I will take it somewhere.
Intrade:
Luck of the draw is just an old saying, not to be taken literally.

holdensorfords, Apr 18, 12:13am
Faulty fuel pump.

denisue, Apr 21, 2:31am
You could be right.
It would not start at lunch time, so I called the AA.
Of course it started when he arrived, but after turning it off a couple of times, it did it again. He checked the spark plugs, all ok there, then tested the fuel line. He said it could be either a fault in the fuel pump or the relay.
Being an intermittent fault could be hard to detect until it stops altogether.
If it is the relay, the cost will be small, if the fuel pump, more expensive.
Probably stop altogether on a cold dark rainy night.
I had a Holden Barina that did that on a dark rainy night at the intersection of Gt South Road, Manukau Rd, Newmarket. Tow truck took my car away that night.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 21, 2:49am
The relay should most likely only cost a few dollars, so while I am not a fan of replacing parts whilly nilly it would make sense just to do that. If you call in to a repco or similar when they are not too busy and ask nicely they will likely come out and see which one you need and may even fit it. They just push in to place and are usually easily accessible. We are talking about what should be a $15 approx off the shelf part.

As for the fuel pump, well you can actually get a pretty good idea of what shape it is in by having someone test it with an oscilloscope, this only takes a few minutes. You would want a reasonably priced diagnostic shop to do that, ask the price first, you don't want to pay half the price of a new pump getting yours tested.

Otherwise, when you go to start the car, start listening for the pump when you turn the key to on (last position before crank) most cars will prime the pump for a couple of seconds and you should be able to hear the buzz under the rear seat. If there is no buzz on occasion, take the opportunity to then lean under the car and give the fuel tank a hit with your fist. If that then makes the pump start to run it's a pretty sure sign of worn brushes, which is the usual cause of pump failure. We would also expect the pump to be about due to fail on a car of that age.

Hope that helps.

BTW. if you really want to check it 100% if you want to buy yourself a $10 multimeter (can direct you to one on here) I can give you some tests to do next time the car won't start. Realistically though you should be able to be fairly certain by following the above. The offer is there though if you need it.

Also, take care how you purchase the replacement pump if you need one. Prices can vary considerably.

stephenb1, Apr 21, 3:05am
air fitter ok.

denisue, Apr 30, 9:52pm
Since the AA call out it has started ok.
The mechanic said to wait until it will not start before deciding what to do next, so I will just wait and see.
Hello to Robert who told me he saw this on here.
Can't stay anonymous on here very long can I?