Honda Air Bag Recall

smalltrader2, Jul 11, 8:33am
http://news.yahoo.com/honda-recalls-another-4-5-million-cars-over-054743460.html

The Honda Air Bag Debacle. Has anyone in NZ has their airbag inflator fixed by Honda and how long do you have yo wait.

Can't believe a reputable company like Honda is shooting itself in the foot over this saga.

aj254, Jul 11, 8:38am

smalltrader2, Jul 11, 8:45am
Yes. The recall also involve many other manufacturers but Honda has the lion share of the recall.

aj254, Jul 11, 8:52am
From what I read in another article this is because Honda used mainly Takata airbags but other car makers also used other airbag manufacturers.
So kind of putting all your eggs in one basket I guess but Takata was a reputable component manufacturer.

a.woodrow, Jul 11, 8:53am
It's not the "Honda" air bag debacle, it's the "Takata" airbag debacle affecting dozens of brands. How is Honda shooting themselves in the foot?

smalltrader2, Jul 11, 9:00am
Honda is a shareholder of Takata. According to New York Times. Takata and Honda were aware of the problems way back in 2004 but refuses to formally acknowledge the problem until US NTHSA piled on the pressure and imposed daily fine.

skull, Jul 11, 9:01am
Honda is right on top of it, we were made aware of the problem by mail months ago. A few weeks after that the parts became available, they booked me in and had it sorted along with cabin filter change and air vent flush out within 2 hours. They said that the majority of the effected cars were done already.

Honda owns 1.2% of the shares in Takata, exactly 1 million of them so probably more a business commercial arrangement than an ownership thing. Toyota and Mazda also have smaller nominal sized holdings.

bryshaw, Jul 11, 9:05am
When I had my NZ new 2001 Civic it was repaired by a Honda dealer. Took about an hour.

a.woodrow, Jul 11, 9:05am
They have 1.2% share. Mazda and Toyota also have shares. Nothing at all unusual in automakers having shares in their supply companies, that way they have a bigger say than just being a customer.

smalltrader2, Jul 11, 9:25am
Great to see that there are some actions in NZ. I have been waiting for a couple of months now. No action so far.

It was reported that there 34 million cars in U.S. Alone are affected and Takata is ramping up capacity to a million replacements a month. I would hate to be waiting for years .

trogedon, Jul 11, 9:27am
No mother n law jokes yet?! Are we not men.

skull, Jul 11, 9:31am
smalltrader2 if you have a Honda that you suspect is involved in the recall get in touch with your nearest Honda dealership and try to get the ball rolling. I'm sure there will be some cars fall through the cracks, be proactive so yours isn't one of them.

smalltrader2, Jul 11, 10:07am
Hi skull. I have received formal notification from Honda which stated I will be contacted when parts arrived. I do the math and it does not look good. So I rang hondacare and wad told I simply have to wait for the parts. It is good to see some cars have been fixed. At least there is some actions. 2 plus months and waiting for my turn.

davidgb, Jul 11, 12:08pm
Any one know if honda nz will do recall work on second hand imports ?

pajanrua, Jul 11, 12:12pm
Same.

smalltrader2, Feb 20, 12:11am
http://www.honda.co.nz/service/recalls/

Try typing in your VIN number on this URL. I am not sure about the legality of who is responsible for imports but I would imagine a significant number of imports are affected. The Honda recall is spanning across a lot of models.