Modern collectables

golfdiver, Sep 22, 7:13am
What of the current fleet on the roads would a smart investor purchase and put into storage, hoping to make some money?
I saw a 2006 Mini Cooper with all the fruit on the weekend. I thought that with 40k clicks on the clock and less than 10k to purchase it might be a decent buy. Thoughts?

trogedon, Sep 22, 7:21am
A low production car that's already a 'classic' and include low ownership / low mileage.

intrade, Sep 22, 7:22am
na a copy off a classic is definetly never going to be worth much, probably no one is allowed to operate these in 20 years time with fees fines and enforced laws. No one will be allowed to drive as its to dangerous and you will have to pay a oxigen tax for the air you breath a microchip in your head in 20 years will send the data to the government so they can automatically bleed your bank account
So yea i would forget about investing in some bmw junk that supposed to resemble a mini

gunhand, Sep 22, 7:25am
Whats making money now is well over 40 years old as a rule. So how long have you got to wait till a modern classic becomes the same?
Will you even be alive in 40 years?
Also modern cars have modern nasty computer gear that in a few years "may" render them useless for anything but looking at.
Anyway, I reckon a very good AU XR6 or 8 would be a good bet. Some are already surpassing later models in pricing.
Why them. Well there look for a start. Like it or loath it they look like nothing else and you don't mistake it for anything else either. Don't worry about there power or driveabilty as any old HQ or X series coon (as examples) weren't up to much even new lol.
Any car (yes any) can be collectible if kept long enough.
They go through a process of, Being new, Being second hand and still newish, being 5th 6th and 20th hand and getting buggered, then onto the hands of youth and hoodlums who trash them making the good ones quite rare.
Its kinda happening with XD to F coons now. Find a good one. And as really old cars get real rare they are out of many's league price wise so they go to the next model up.
Also add to that list Holden Monaro, the new shape. Only made for a couple of years.
And to add, after restoration (not just a bog job) many won't make any money on the old girls. May look like it with 30 40 50k price tags.

brapbrap8, Sep 22, 7:26am
One of the last Falcons or Aussie built Commodores/HSVs?

golfdiver, Sep 22, 7:29am
I had a 71 GT XLS Capri as a young fella . It was very straight and I was the 3 rd owner. I kept track of it for a while and it always appreciated in value.

socram, Sep 22, 7:38am
MINI is just a brand in its own right.

I've always had at least one Mini variant from February 1967 to date. If the 2006 Mini is an S, still with a supercharger (later ones are Turbo), might be worth a punt. Straight forward Mini Cooper? No.

I have a 2002 S, bought new and love it to bits. Can't see me ever selling it. Certainly isn't junk.- and hasn't depreciated as much as its rivals.

The really big money is indeed expensive short run cars, such as Ferraris.

Silly prices are now being asked for 1950s and 1960's cars, so might be better to go for something older and get it restored or buy one already restored. If all you are doing is locking it away, 100% agree, steer well clear of anything with any computer chips in it.

tamarillo, Sep 22, 9:43am
1980's hot cars. Okay you might not think that's current fleet but that's the next big craze apparently, and it makes sense. Cars that were aspirational but still achievable. S1 gti, m5 etc. even good xjs, those buttresses don't look so silly anymore!
911's have already spiked up so too late for that.

tintop, Sep 22, 10:07am
I sold my 1968 Ducati 450 mK3 15 years ago for $1500. Not too bad, I bought it for $500

My Ducati mate in Otago says they are going for $10,000 now :(

Now - if I had only kept hold of the '73 750 Sport. .

anenigma, Sep 22, 10:10am
I cant believe how inexpensive M5's are for what they are .

esprit, Sep 22, 10:26am
Lotus Elise for sure, simple to keep on the road as a classic and more raw than any other car on the road. Also Honda S2000 in original nick

noodleman4, Sep 23, 12:45am
Suzuki B King , out there styling in limited numbers.

mopsy3, May 21, 5:16pm
A TS50 before an AU XR6 or XR8 at lest they are fairly unique.