Emailing a mechanic

Page 1 / 2
petal_91, Sep 4, 9:38pm
Sent emails last week to 3 mechanics asking for quotes to do the front pads and rotors on a 2012 E161 Corolla Fielder. Only one has gotten back to me. I guess a lot of technicians are not too good with online communication. What would be the best written way to get in contact with a mechanic (so not actually phoning them)?

Would you get a faster response sending a text to the mobile number listed in the phonebook, or would sending a fax get a faster reply? Conversely I wonder if emailing is too old fashioned and maybe posting on their Facebook wall or tweeting them would get a faster response.

kazbanz, Sep 4, 9:47pm
Why would you e mail? Why not pick up the phone and call for a price?

lk104, Sep 4, 9:51pm
Could be that they don't know what to quote on seeing there is no such model as a E161 Corolla.
As Kaz said pick up the phone, must corner garages don't have time or the inclination to quote by email.

petal_91, Sep 4, 10:02pm
Yeah sorry, it was just a Corolla Wagon like this one: http://www.apinz.com/model/2383/TOYOTA/COROLLA-FIELDER-2012-NZE161-WAGON/

My email just asked for prices for a corolla wagon and did not go into specifics.

strobo, Sep 4, 10:03pm
Yup ,mechanics are busy all day on FB/ games buddy /social media /skyping .No time for work of course . Give him time , maybe try winks & smiles and mention that you are a pretty blonde gal with. lots of that . & lots of this . & blue eyes ,will get prompt attention ;-)

tamarillo, Sep 4, 11:16pm
I don't want the mechanic stuffing around with emails frankly. Supposed to be working on car.
If they're going to do several quotes on emails to get one job they're going to need to put up the hourly rate to cover that time. Then they won't win bidding war which is what you're setting up.
You're also expecting them to magically know which model it is, it's likely there are differing parts put on different models.
Pick up the phone, or better still visit them.

intrade, Sep 4, 11:45pm
its quite complex it is not just these sector. If you have not figured out by now almost 90% of people whom tell you they ring you back , you dont hear a thing any more .
this is not the case in european countrys like switzerland austria and germany , its why these are the most productive richest nations of europe.
the worst or best ar swiss they are 15 minutes early and if your late the tollerance is 15 minutes there or you meet somone real angry after 20 minute late for a appointment .
anyhow that the telefone and phisical appointments
E-mails i found at least 50% of companys worldwide wont answer your mails even if you potentially would give them tousends in money for a deal you contact them.
like i needed a new roof for my house in taumarunui one guy i rang 4 times and emailed 4 times and then 2 weeks after my roof was on he sent me a quote lol.
kiwisteel answerd the mail within 24h price was best on top of it all as i dont go for lowest price i go for best service with lowest price.
so they moved on top of the list whom to use for the speedy and efficient comunication and they where the lowest price on color steel on top.

Now to mechanics most are still in the 1980s where you could guess your way thru looking and hearing what might be wrong and following manufacturer written flow charts
that wont work today and will cost customer tousends of $ in parts replaced whom where not faulty should a electronic gremlin show up in these modern cars.
They are probably also not up to speed with the potential money earnings from online clinents they just bitch why they have not enough work instead.

Now to another reason why some might not quote,
they might think your a stingy bargen hunter and dont see the potential to make a sale if they educate you about the braking system service on a car.

helsbels2, Sep 4, 11:45pm
If they need to be doing random email quotes they are obviously not busy and no good. Can't think of anything worse than quoting a random who is going to shop your price around, go for the cheapest and then find out it is dearer anyway cos cheapest price didn't include everything. I'd much rather stick to our loyal customers and look after them. Also if you didn't give them specific details not sure what you expect them to quote on. I would say that is why you haven't heard

muzz67, Sep 4, 11:50pm
This.
Ever see anyone stop talking to a customer to answer an Email?--No!
Ever see anyone stop talking to a customer to answer a telephone?-Yep!

jmma, Sep 5, 4:42am
What would you do if you were deaf?

bitsy_boffin, Sep 5, 5:32am
I am the opposite (self employed in IT), if somebody phones me out of the blue, they are simply not going to become my client, it is rude to interrupt my day and generally a waste of my time. On rare occasions I might accept a call from an existing client. But if any work is to eventuate they need to email me the request even if it was verbally agreed to.

One day the old fogies in the parts and repair businesses who still have a fax machine on their desk and think it's the pinnnacle of technology will retire. One day.

Email is non discriminatory - well, as long as you are moderately literate, in NZ that's quite a large percentage of the population. Even if you speak another language machine translators can get the idea across. There's no "oh she's a woman/foreign/young, we can take them for a ride on this".

It's polite - no interrupting people when they are busy, people can reply when it is convenient for them.

It's efficient - no playing phone tag.

It's precise - people can think about their reply carefully.

It's verifiable - everything in writing.

matarautrader, Sep 5, 5:56am
Yes the email is good but when you have to send multiple emails backs and forwards (did you want black or red sir? ) its quicker to make a call. Not to mention that sometimes you wait several days for a reply.

llortmt, Sep 5, 6:31am
Hi Petal,
Thanks for your enquire, we would charge a fully inclusive price of $447.44 .
That price includes all parts, (quality ceramic pads, disc rotors and brake fluid) labour, gst and a two year 20,000km warranty.
However we may well be able to machine resurface your existing disc rotors and then supply and fit new brake pads for a inclusive price of $299.63 with the same great warranty!
We have a slot available at 9.00 on Tuesday or Wednesday at 1.00 and would be happy to provide you with a free loan car while we carry out the work.
Please feel free to give me a call on 06 84322** if you have any questions or wish to book an appointment.
Cheers
James

That is the exact reply you would receive from me based on only the information provided in your first post.
I'm always happy with email enquires however I MAY only check and respond to my email once a day first thing in the morning.
Please, please do not post on my Facebook wall and I ignore all text messages. The phone however is always answered!
I'd be interested what your reply to me would be Petal (if I was in Wellington of course).

treachug, Sep 5, 7:07am
And that's all it would take.

We use email at my work to price parts for customers for restoring or repairing cars. We have email enquiries & phone calls & reply to both using both means of communication. Often many do not give us much too go by so you have to use your noggin, so if email takes a few days to sort out what the customer wants at least the customer can see you are helping them & dealing with it.
Like mentioned above at least email gives you a trail that can be referred back to - often better than a phone conversation.
Many people live via their phone (text/email) its the way the world has gone.
Cant believe that someone mentioned they look after their loyal customers & not interested in some random enquiry - why not try to grow the business? Who knows that email enquiry may be from someone that looks after a company fleet or has 6 cars in their family that also need regular servicing.

kaituna, Sep 5, 7:17am
Probably no need to machine or replace the rotors. A good sand with emery tape and new pads. Probably only $50.00 and 30 min labour.

thunderbolt, Sep 5, 10:36am
I guess you wouldn't be responding via email, since you have 1970's mentality to car repairs.

bitsy_boffin, Sep 5, 11:50am
I can't answer for petal, but for me, you would get my business, I would probably not even look any further - reason: because you just made it easy for me to hit reply with "when can I book it in" there and then.

jmma, Sep 5, 7:57pm
But if you read it you would have noticed he had given some options for booking, you could just take one of those, then no need for another email :oP

bigfatmat1, Sep 5, 9:17pm
This is what service managers are for! Also the same arguement could be used for a phone call. Email is more practical for a lot of people. Including the deaf. If a company can not adjust to technology and means of communication that business can be prepared to be left behind and loose business. If they are not going to reply to emails they should not have a email address or enquiries form on their website.

a.woodrow, Sep 5, 9:23pm
In my experience email queries have generally been time wasters. They either have insufficient car details and you get no response from an email trying to clarify the model details, or you quote it out and never hear back.

Here's a good example. Back in March I quoted an interior trim panel via an email inquiry. He didn't want to pay for a new one so I spent quite a bit of time locating a tidy second hand one at a sharp price. Found one and emailed him back. reply "I'll get back to you"

Yesterday he emailed back again wanting to know if he could get the trim. First one long gone but managed to track him down another, albeit $50 dearer (still a pretty good price though). Reply "Oh cool I'll think about it and let you know."

I have probably wasted an hour on this customer that has commitment issues, and people wonder why no-one wants to respond to email queries. Every time I would pick the customer that has rung me or is standing in front of me ready to do business.

intrade, Sep 5, 9:31pm
Re 21 you need pre written mails in your case you would give a price range and a deposit of the lowest price required before you even start looking.

a.woodrow, Sep 5, 9:35pm
Nope I wouldn't charge someone to find a part, I wouldn't have many customers left if I did that haha. We don't primarily deal in used parts anyway. This was a one off to try and help a guy out. We have a format for email queries similar to what llortmt posted

patiki1, Sep 5, 10:24pm
I email all the time.For parts and technical advice from America and Australia I will get 100% response.I emailed 7 engine reconditioners to machine my last engine,one got back to me,guess who got the job?The guy that got my work didn't reply in work hours,but he did it after hours.

aredwood, Sep 5, 10:55pm
Another possibility. The workshop is really busy doing work for existing customers or people who have simply asked for work to be done. Instead of wanting quotes. So it would be silly to spend time doing quotes when There is a backlog of cars that need work.

illusion_, Sep 5, 11:01pm
FAR too easy