Opinion's please

Page 1 / 2
dale3112, Aug 20, 11:21pm
Firstly the price of it is way over the top for its age and mileage.
Secondly, I would seriously look at the diesel option - why? - mainly due to fuel consumption - A petrol 2.0 Litre petrol one will cost approximately $7.00 per 100kms more than the diesel option INCLUDING RUC
I own a 2004 Diesel Grand Vitara, with the Peugeot Engine in it - it has heaps of power on hills and when towing a boat, very economical and being my first 4wd am very impressed with it.

kazbanz, Aug 20, 11:39pm
7 months old thread dale

dale3112, Aug 21, 12:30am
Ooopssss - LOL - Didnt look at that bit LOL

mals69, Aug 21, 5:45am
14k for a vehicle with 140,000 clicks - way overpriced an understatement !
Timing chains that stretch, lightly built heads that are not worth repairing is what suzuki has put out in past similar vehicles. Suzuki should of stuck to trying to make quality motorbikes before moving onto cars - their big competition Honda does both.

quickbuck, Aug 22, 12:44am
So. What did the OP end up doing in the end? Did they get a AWD Soft Roader or what?

Been waiting 8 months to find out.

Na, not really, just interested.

cid246, Jan 3, 5:58am
Hi all I am looking at a 2005 Suzuki Escudo 2.0L petrol automatic done 140,000km. Does anyone have any opinions on these good, bad or otherwise? It is $13990.
Thanks

thejazzpianoma, Jan 3, 6:04am
Thirsty, underwhelming and over priced. If you really need an SUV you can buy a Touareg for that. which just goes to show the absurdity of the situation.

jmma, Jan 3, 6:24am
One of the most over rated and hidiously over priced vehicles on our roads. I would be hard pressed to think of a similar vehicle that is likely to cost you more (initial outlay for age/depreciation/running cost/maintenance cost/repair cost). and what do you get in return for all that expense?

Not a particularly startling vehicle compared to what else is available in the segment for the price.

Basically, a car for someone is not very good at basic arithmatic and listens to wives tales and what the crowd is doing instead of thinking for themselves. You can do SO much better it just isn't funny.

melonhead1, Jan 3, 6:37am
Maybe the Touareg is overrated, but the V10 one is cool because its a V10.

spider47, Jan 3, 6:44am
The timing chains only do about 40,000kms so make sure that has been changed. Don't buy one.

cid246, Jan 3, 7:09am
I thought it was only the V6 ones that had cam chain problems?

msigg, Jan 3, 8:11am
Yes they are an excellent vehicle, the above poster are what you get on a public message board. People pushing there own opinions. I suggest you google and ask a decent mechanic. All the best.

kazbanz, Jan 3, 8:14am
first off--do you need a 4x4?

cid246, Jan 3, 8:30am
I do really want a 4wd just so we can have a bit of family fun in the weekends - going fishing or light off roading trips for family picnics etc. During the week it will be the wifes run about, we currently have a small hatch and we want something that's a bit bigger that we can do the odd road trip in we like the size and look of the escudo. I thought being a 4wd 2.0L it would have been a bit sluggish but we took it for a drive today and it went really well.

cid246, Jan 3, 9:48am
Anyone else got any comments on this?

gpg58, Jan 3, 10:03am
I enjoyed both my vitaras, short and long wheelbase 1600's back when they were 2-5 years old, very nice cars really.
But they were not samari's in there offroad ability, however with a bit off inner gaurd massaging and some serious rubber, they were not that bad.
would have thought you could find a better price than that though, 10 years old and 140k's seems a tad expensive.

grangies, Jan 3, 10:04am
And what would that be?

cid246, Jan 3, 6:37pm
what about a 2.4 petrol RAV4 or a 2.4 petrol CRV?

lookoutas, Jan 3, 9:23pm
Just out of interest for jazz. I had a looksee on here, and the average 2005 Toe-rag was 21K.
Hardly a good option to compete with 14-15K for the same aged car.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 3, 9:29pm
Who cares what the "average" price is?
You can buy a similar year/km Touareg in very good condition for around 14K without much difficulty. I would probably go with an R5 Diesel for their purpose (super reliable, long lasting and cheap to run) and there are regularly good NZ new examples of those going for under 15K.

If the OP is so desperate that they can't wait a couple of weeks or so for the right vehicle. then have fun with the Suzuki. For the rest of us making a purchase of that value, we usually save a considerable sum and get a better vehicle by exercising some logic/patience.

All that said. if I was actually in no hurry, I would probably wait for a Tiguan/Yeti for their purpose. They are starting to come up around 15K now, cheaper to run again, cheaper to service, simpler design, better in town etc.

franc123, Jan 3, 9:35pm
And that 21K would be just the start of your outgoings. You don't buy Eurotrash once its that old.

lookoutas, Jan 3, 9:39pm
OK - I'll put my "one-eye" into it.

Look for a 2007 Subaru Forester. Some are going for less than 10K on here. The best 4/AWD system of any 4WD available.

So what if the hand grenade blows up - 4K will put a new one in.

But I would buy a Legacy. Or a Lancaster, and have a decent car to drive on the road, that also has a bit of extra ground clearance. (For play time)

And if anyone tries to tell you they're not good off road, then they haven't been with me.

Edit - the cheapest Toe-rag on here was 17K. Bet there's cheaper Suzuki's too.

tgray, Jan 3, 9:45pm
$14K seems an awful lot of money for a 10 year old vehicle.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 3, 10:24pm
My thoughts exactly.

ema1, Jan 3, 10:50pm
What the "absurd situation" is, jazz is doing that very same thing he accuses others of doing by dissing a vehicle an OP is inquiring about (as in the Fiat Ducato Gearbox Thread. )
Ah but "God" is allowed to do this . exclusively of coarse?
Got a bit of a "Troll" smell yourself eh jazz?
That is definitely only worth 2C ha ha. oh wait . it's worth nothing at all!
There are none the less better SUV's out there and are more relistically priced too and they aren't necessarily Euro's either. far from it.
You can sure as heck bet that a 10 year old "Tow Rag" would be a dead cert money pit as well, no doub't about it.