Gearbox oil for a Triton.

m16d, Jun 14, 12:17am
The gear change in the Triton has become "stiff" over the cold weather. I was wondering if there is a particular brand of oil or additive that would make it easier to change.

jason_247, Jun 14, 12:31am
castrol VMX 80 is what the castrol website recommends for your trans

"Mild extreme pressure gear oil with special viscosity stabilisers to overcome shift problems. Recommended for use in transaxles of most front wheel drive vehicles with a transverse engine and manual transmissions experiencing low temperature shift problems. SAE 75W/80, API GL4."

The quantity varies from 2.2l for a petrol rwd to 3.8l for a 4wd diesel. but it uses the same oil all the way through.

Ive used it before with great results.
http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Castrol-VMX-80-Transaxle-Manual-Transmission-Fluid-4-Litre.aspx?pid=1583#Recommendations

brapbrap8, Jun 14, 2:33am
Are all gears getting stiff? Or just going into 3rd?
They have a very weak 3rd gear syncro that fails often.

lookoutas, Jun 14, 2:38am
Sure does!

twink19, Jun 14, 5:54am
I find my new Triton gear shift is a bit stiff, might try it

m16d, Jun 14, 6:02am
Nar,it's only stiff coming out of the gears,like second needs a bit of a bump on the lever.
I'm not one for wearing out syncros,I can use 3 pedals with 2 feet.

lookoutas, Jun 17, 7:06pm
brap sez they have weak syncros, and they do. That doesn't apply to how great thou art.
We put some good oil & additive in, hoping to cure it - that only gave the syncros' more slip and made the problem worse!

Although it sounds like your problem is different, so extra slip might work.