Alternator light on a BMW.

alphagorpat, Nov 12, 6:16am
We have a 1990 BMW 316i that recently had the fuel pump replaced. In diagnosing that it was the fuel pump, the battery was run down (not totally) and somewhere in the process the alternator warning light came on and is staying on. The car performs perfectly and I suspect nothing is wrong as the battery seems charged. Is it just a matter of re-setting the alternator light and if so, how do we do that. I know how to reset the service light. Thanks & cheers.

skin1235, Nov 12, 6:24am
first get the charge rate checked, and that means by an auto sparky

poppy62, Nov 12, 7:55am
Sounds like the Alternator is kaput, if it was charging the light would be out. There is no re-setting. Your choices are, New, recondition, or 2nd hand from the Wreckers. There's a good chance that you'll get a low Km replacement off a wreck (that's been sitting on the shelf for a fair while but will be good) plus you'll get a warranty with it. Check out all the options.

saxman99, Nov 12, 9:30am
Double check the belt hasn't fallen off.

tamarillo, Nov 12, 8:30pm
Reset fault codes and I'd hope light goes off. Do you have a usual workshop that has the plug in gizmo? If not ring around. Most independents that work on these will have it. If all else fails ask BMW dealer but get quote, it's a real quick job. You can't do it yourself without the diagnostic reader.

budgel, Nov 12, 8:34pm
What BMWs have an alternator light that can be reset?

saxman99, Nov 12, 9:01pm
Not for an alternator light on a 1990.

elect70, Oct 22, 10:00am
At that age the brushes are probably worn out . Cheap to fix pull it off see auto spark & get new brushes fitted .