Caliper slide pin grease

ambo11, Nov 21, 6:54am
What do you guys use? Can't seem to find Silicone paste, wondering if its called something totally different? To lube caliper slide pins while I'm doing pads etc on the Odyssey, cheers

mrfxit, Nov 21, 6:57am
Never ever used any fancy grease yet.
Just used a minimal amount of ordinary grease, never had any issues.

ambo11, Nov 21, 6:58am
Yep, but was advised against this, as it dries out after time and sticks. was told silicone grease for caliper pins? Cheers though

kazbanz, Nov 21, 7:03am
Ambo its not about drys out so much as melts. I use copper kote for that reason. I guess any HMP (high melting point ) lube would work as well

mrfxit, Nov 21, 7:08am
Yep Kaz but I spose it partly depends on what you are doing with the vehicle.
Most ppl wouldn't get the brakes hot enough to destroy wheel bearing grease, which is what I generally use while doing bearing & brake combo overhauls.
Clean slides/ good boots & minimal grease, it's not like theres a lot of movement going on.

gsimpson, Nov 21, 7:11am
Some sort of anti-sieze would work.

stornello, Nov 21, 7:16am
I've always used copper coat. however, I was actually reading the instructions on a Triton trailer caliper rebuild a couple of months ago, and they stressed to use ONLY rubber grease. So I used copper coat. I guess it's the rubber boots they are concerned about.

2get1, Nov 21, 7:17am
I use copperslip which by the sounds is very similar to copper kote. I also use it on low temp stuff like wheel studs / nuts on boat trailer that goes into salt water. Have always used it on caliper pins.

panicky, Nov 21, 7:25am
I used to use copperkote, but now use a nickel based anti-seize which handles much higher temperature and performs better. However I would only use this on metal to metal slides/anti rattle shims. Rubber encased slide pins I use rubber grease.

evotime, Nov 21, 9:08am
bendix ceramic high performance synthetic lubricant.

tintop, Nov 21, 9:23am
The pins on my sprinter camper slide in rubber sleeves.

intrade, Nov 21, 10:22am
partsmaster sell the grease not to be used on oxigen senor threads stating on bottle with brush about 18$

mm12345, Nov 21, 10:09pm
If you wanted to use silicone grease, then you can buy it in small blister-packs for $4 or so in the plumbing dept at hardware stores. Probably not the right thing to use, but it would probably work and is heat resistant.

I used to dab a bit of grease on my boat trailer wheel studs, but I've had several people who *should* know tell me to never do this, as it risks over-tightening the nuts or they may work loose.
I did lose a wheel one day. Sent cold shivers down my spine - tandem trailer - so not a complete disaster, but the wheel which came off was on the driver's side, and I don't think anybody coming the other way would have appreciated having it coming through their windscreen (or heaven forbid a motorcycle, cyclist or pedestrian). 5 snapped studs and no way to "post mortem" why they failed, perhaps over-tightened, perhaps came loose and snapped off one by one, perhaps when the trailer was parked someone tampered with it (unlikely IMO - but I've heard rumours of this happening). I don't grease them any more. Wheels off, clean off hubs and mating surface of rims, check for any pitting corrosion of studs (usually right against the outer surface of the hub - that's where they corrode first), and replace if they look dodgy. No grease.

ceebee2, Nov 22, 1:26am
+1 everytime

mantagsi, Sep 23, 6:07pm
I cant remember whether it is supercheap or repco but one of them sells this green goop caliber pin lube, brilliant stuff. One packet was enough to all four corners on my last toyota wagon, and it didnt seem to dry out or go crook when i checked it a few thousand k's later. Just ask for the specific grease for the application and they will show you the stuff