Petrol for 2007 Toyota Vitz

joburger, Sep 7, 3:38am
What would you put in this little shopping trolley of mine? I got told it should be 95, not 91.

Help!?

franc123, Sep 7, 3:45am
Unlikely you will notice any difference in one of those, either is fine.

intrade, Sep 7, 3:53am
check service manual you might not notice a difference unless you run it a whole month on the same fuel for a test.
if you hear knocking pinking then you need higher octane fuel or your knock sensor is faulty. My 95 corolla runs on 91 but it retards the timing quite drastically every now and then , i have a youtube video showing live data on my scantool how it retards on 91

only third world countrys even have 91 ocatne fuel
cars are usually not made for 3th world countrys
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

kazbanz, Sep 7, 4:12am
because its a high quality Toyota product it will run on mint tea and the smell of summer flowers.
--Yep 91 is fine to run an 06 vitz 1300 or 1500

joburger, Sep 7, 5:39am
I've been having trouble with the engine losing power, the accelerator not working and me having to quickly pull over quickly as i grind to a halt. I've taken it back to the dealer and it's booked in to get looked at. while I was there he said I should be using 95 and that it works harder to use 91 and itd be less fuel efficient.

I know next to nothing about cars. I think I've made that quite obvious haha.

intrade, Sep 7, 6:22am
this has nothing to do with the octane of fuel
"losing power, the accelerator not working and me having to quickly pull over quickly as i grind to a halt"
your best to use the fuel recommended by the seller however for more then one reason. and keep your recipts should you have to proof any wrong doing in court, lets hope it wont come to that haha but better to be prepeared

intrade, Sep 7, 6:27am
what you car needs is to go on a scanner with manufacturer level diagnostic software . toyota its TIS techstream.
When the car grinds to a halt there will be a check engine light on your dash glowing.
This event is logged under what is called Freeze frame data
it will tell exactly what the computers and sensors where doing frozen in this time of when it happened.hence the word freeze frame its frozzen and framed for somone with a clue to start thinking what might have cause it to do that.
Codes are hints not what is to be replaced in parts. Remember that if anyone tells you otherwise then your talking to a moron.

kevymtnz, Sep 7, 6:33am
comes down to compression ratio above 10.5/1 = 95 below 10.5/1 = 91
the knock sensor & ECU will do the rest

cammey, Sep 7, 6:40am
Use the lowest octane fuel your engine is designed for.

Octane is a measure of the ability of the fuel to resist detonation under compression.

Octane is increased to allow higher compression, without the fuel self igniting, and higher compressions allow more time in the power producing part of the otto cycle, so you can get more power out of a high compression motor.

But the resistance to self ignition is achieved by adding fillers to the fuel - junk like ethanol which has low energy per unit volume.

If your engine is designed for a high octane (low energy) fuel, then you need to use that, to get best performance and avoid engine damage.

But if your engine doesn't require a low energy (High octane) fuel, pouring it in is an expensive way to get less MPG.

So if your engine is designed for a low octane fuel use that.

joburger, Sep 7, 8:51am
When I took it in he connected it up to their scanner and said a couple of codes had come up. I can't get it seen to until next week. Hope I don't conk out on an inside lane! I'll be up shit street then.

franc123, Sep 7, 9:09am
For your own safety you'd be best not to drive it tbh.

bryshaw, Sep 7, 10:13am
My 1.3 Corolla runs sweetly on 95.

kazbanz, Sep 7, 8:09pm
If the car "conks out" then it needs to be fixed. It really is as simple as that. I wouldn't be driving the car till it is.

denisue, Sep 7, 9:52pm
I have recently bought a Toyota Vitz, it is a 2000 model, and 998CC.
I have been using 91 octane petrol.
I find it is struggling to get up hills, maybe I should be using 95.
I do not have a manual with the car.

franc123, Sep 7, 10:12pm
The mistake made there was you didn't buy at least the 1300 version, preferably the 15 especially if much open road work was envisaged. By all means try 95 but don't be surprised if not much difference occurs.

denisue, Sep 7, 11:31pm
I rarely go on open roads, just use it to get to work and back and to the supermarket, I had no option at the time to buy this car, only one in my price range at the auction. I had sent my previous car to a wrecker on a tow truck, and needed something else that day.
Must admit I am a bit surprised how reluctant it is going up a hill.
I think my previous car was a 1300 and when it was going well it had no problems going up a hill, but as the years went by, the gearbox just could not handle it on the flat, let alone a hill. It would start going backwards even in drive when it just could not take any more.
I had to pre plan the roads I would use daily, flat only.
At least now I can get up the hills even if it is slowly.

serf407, Sep 8, 1:03am
The owner in Japan might have been running the car on 100 octane petrol and the car has taken a dislking to been run on NZ 91.
http://www.acfa.org.sg/pdf/InFocus16_2014_06_JAMA_Towards_95_RON.pdf
When was the last service - air filter, sparkplugs etc?

joburger, Sep 8, 6:48am
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34202

I just found this, it's exactly what happens to me.

joburger, Jul 20, 9:16am
It was last serviced (I guess) just before I bought it at the beginning of July from Paul Kelly Motors