Help! diesel van + petrol

marda, Oct 14, 4:33am
petrol was put into diesel van and driven until it stopped is this going to be a major fix?

franc123, Oct 14, 4:42am
Until you attempt to get it going again with fresh uncontaminated diesel you won't know.

stevo2, Oct 14, 5:06am
What van and age?

m16d, Oct 14, 6:52am
Yer. I'd say it's rooted.
Was it your bosses van. ?

tamarillo, Oct 14, 8:28am
I was taught that since diesel lubricates and petrol doesn't it firstly wears injectors and pumps etc. that you have to have whole system flushed and tested. Only if it goes on too long does it create havoc in combustion chamber.
Book it in!

kevymtnz, Oct 14, 8:31am
take out the gas bleed the system with diesel then it should be fine ASAP

a.woodrow, Oct 14, 8:41am
Too hard to tell without knowing what the vehicle is. A common rail engine this could be $10k or more to repair. An old tech diesel it might just be the inconvenience of having it flushed out and new filter fitted

mrfxit, Oct 14, 8:59am
Agreed.
Either way it's probably shortened the life of the injector pump & probably the engine as well presuming it runs ok again after a fuel line flush etc

thewomble1, Oct 14, 9:02am
Could be worse than petrol into diesel. If you accidentally place AdBlue in your fuel tank do not drive your vehicle. Immediately contact your service agent who can assist you with vehicle towing and repair.
Available at some service stations and the nozzle is right beside the diesel nozzle.

alfred011, Oct 15, 9:25am
I have had customers put weed spray and cowshed detergents in the diesel tank seized pumps and injectors they claimed on insurance,also had people put straight petrol in chainsaws and brush cutters and insurance has paid to repair or replace them which I find very unusual.

rojill, Oct 15, 9:48am
Caterpillar Stationary engine manuals state that it is permissible to add up to 10% petrol to diesel - it helps clean them out. I can't recall for how long or at what power level engines should be run.

intrade, Oct 15, 9:55am
when was that 1960s?
diesel is not lubricating much as it is today with ulsd . i have had 100s of threads its why you add a diesel additive to every tank of diesel because then it might even surwive a wrong fueling mistake. Not if you drive till it stops of course.

smalltrader2, Feb 7, 9:33am
Never ever put petrol in a modern common rail injection diesel. You will not like the repair bill or the hassle ! Don't drive the vehicle and have the tank drained immediately .