Battery light coming on

red97, Jul 12, 6:15am
Hi, have a 96 camry, yesterday coming home from work the battery light came on as I was idling up to a round about (auto) went off again as I accelerated away. went for a twenty minute drive today and didn't happen till nearly home then it flicked on briefly under same circumstances. Car has been parked up for three weeks and has been very cold here if that makes any difference . pretty sluggish to start.
Is my battery poked?

intrade, Jul 12, 6:30am
na more like your brushes on alternator are worn out from the info you have given so far.

skin1235, Jul 12, 6:46am
or the belt is loose

mugenb20b, Jul 12, 8:27pm
Check the wiring where it plugs in the back of the alternator.

red97, Jul 13, 3:47am
cheers, I have checked the plug and the belt and they seem fine, multi meter says 12.6 on battery with engine off and 13.6 when running with a few revs but at idle sits around 12.6

johotech, Jul 13, 4:00am
Battery probably just needs more charging. A 20min drive isn't enough to charge much at all.

If you're not using the car all the time, it might be a good idea to buy a multi-stage charger.
http://www.cteknz.co.nz/tabid/319/CategoryID/293/ProductID/2141/Default.aspx

If the battery is left flat or very low charge for long periods of time, it will calcify? (or is it sulfate?) and kill it. Usually you can see that this has happened from bulges in the case of the battery.

red97, Jul 13, 4:10am
thanks for that I have it on charge now and will leave it charging overnight

johotech, Jul 13, 4:16am
If it was still starting the car, the battery is probably fine.

tony9, Feb 12, 6:05pm
Worn brushes in Alternator.