Key for Merc 320 SLK

texastwo, Aug 26, 9:44pm
I bought my second hand ( NZ new) SLK320 about 3 years ago and the solitary key I got with it is becoming unreliable. Its an electronic key that releases the steering lock before it starts the engine. Any suggestions where I get a replacement? Merc Star in Wellington want nearly $600 for a new one. Looked at a fix on Youtube but dont think I would risk that. I've rung the dealer who sold it to me but as you can guess after 3 years they dont want to know. So looking for a cheaper alternative.

kazbanz, Aug 26, 10:22pm
Texastwo---Sorry but that sounds about right for a merc key
Im happy to be proven wrong

saxman99, Aug 26, 10:38pm
If it's just the case that's falling to bits it can be replaced very cheaply with a new shell from that big overseas trading website that begins with e.

If the electronics are dodgy that's another story and as Kaz says the $600 will be about right.

Might be worth checking with an independent locksmith such as Armstrong's to see if they can do it a bit cheaper for you.

tamarillo, Aug 27, 12:10am
Stupid question but just in case. changed battery?

texastwo, Aug 27, 12:25am
Yes it is and I did - cost me nearly $400 for the right one- well one that has the same specifications anyway but I'll try the independent locksmith idea

saxman99, Aug 27, 12:57am
I think the poster referred to the battery in the key, rather than the car.

In any case, even if the battery in the key is weak, I believe that version of the key induces a current from the ignition barrel to do the security code part of the operation.

networkguy, Aug 27, 6:13am
I've been through this, save the hassle and just go pay Mercedes. I shopped around and the only place in NZ that could do another key wasn't much cheaper and they wanted me to courier my key to them to copy the code. First, this leaves you without your only key and at risk of it being lost, second they can make a copy for themselves and come steal your car and third this key is now a duplicate of the first instead of a true second key.

Mines an E-class, but I imagine yours has similar features where you can give the 2nd key to the mrs, and she can set the seats, mirrors and radio etc to her settings and then when you get in with your key it will all go back to your settings? If you don't get the proper key from Mercedes you will lose these features, is it worth saving a couple hundred dollars?

$600 is cheap, mine was closer to $700 including the valet key which is needed to hang the key on a keychain, plus it was the newer model of key and looks nicer. Because of the way Mercedes do keys, NOONE else can do you a true replacement, beware of anyone who wants you to send them your key!

intrade, Aug 27, 6:43am
merc key most problem will be the infrared window dirty obscured on sender or reciver unit. clean it carfully. and with a android phone you can use the camera to see if the ifrared still works the android cameras display the violet light on the phones display . iphones dont work i was told for test

intrade, Aug 27, 6:47am
quick scrolling is here i was on 2 day course for nissan and merc antitheft
seems the same on a quick scroll thru this website as what we did learn for 650$ in 2 days
http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/412106-key-unlocks-doors-but-wont-start-car.html

poppy62, Aug 27, 7:28am
If it was me, I'd be off to Silver Star farm (Akld) to get a 2nd hand unit, bound to be a selection of low km cars to choose from with keys.

texastwo, Aug 31, 4:54am
How do you clean the receiver unit?

intrade, Aug 31, 5:13am
you probably cant you can only clean the sender units window.
the unit we had in our training was said to have been conterminated by dirt , if you get a new unit where the key slots in it needs programming including the vehicle milage is also stored on this unit and in 3 more places to check for odometer tempering . the key window you would clean the same as mobile phone plastic screen or car headlights if its conterminated or replace the window on the key so the infrared can travel tru the screen again.

intrade, Aug 31, 5:26am
so do you have dirt in the reciver steering colum? or a scrached dull window on key?

jfstyle, Sep 7, 9:56am
Easy fix is clear nail polish on lense.works 19 times out of twenty
Jonathan

texastwo, Sep 7, 9:58pm
With my luck it would have been the 20th time.

texastwo, Jul 22, 6:37pm
Not sure. Its a relatively low mileage example. I'm experimenting with other approaches at the moment. I should have demanded a second key when I bought the car because it was a NZ new car but 3 years later the dealer obviously now doesnt want to know.