Got an old TD23 navara,hard starting?

beetle1234, Nov 26, 9:27am
The ole tart start,s first or 2nd turn,cool, but when warm decides to be a bitch to start. I,ve done the usual,new oil,filters,glow plugs,battery,runs like a dream when going. Only done 365k,but almost sound,s like lacking compression as there is almost a woosh on or after start up.Maybe tappets I have been told. This ole tart is the first diesel I have had. Any ideas? cheers AJ

snoopy221, Nov 26, 9:31am
Buy the old tart some flowers-take it out for dinner-hairdresser?
Failing that check the temp sensor for the glow plug timer.

intrade, Nov 26, 9:36am
squirt some engine oil in to the intake when its hard starting. if it fires up then you have low compression= full rebuild of engine .

franc123, Nov 26, 10:02am
If the glow time is OK I'd certainly be looking at the valve clearances, followed by the correct method of determining how worn it is in the form of a compression and leakdown test if they are OK. Don't go shoving oil down the intake under any circumstances when its running or cranking, if that gets overdone then you WILL be looking at an engine rebuild if you hydraulic the damn thing.

bert37, Nov 26, 8:32pm
ditch it and put a td27 in

mm12345, Nov 26, 9:34pm
I reckon that if it's starting really well cold, then the compression is probably all right.
A sticky/slow fuel-cut solenoid could be a problem for starting when hot, either the solenoid gets slow when it's hot - or it's always slow but not noticed when it's cold, as by the time the glow-plug light is off and you crank it to start, it's had time to open. If the engine doesn't shut off instantly when turned off at the ignition but runs on a bit, then perhaps also evidence that the solenoid may be the problem.
When were the injector pump and injectors last serviced/overhauled?

tweake, Nov 27, 6:45am
pump the fuel filter primer until it goes hard then start it. if its starts its probably sucking in air through a seal. could be a filter seal, hose end or injection pump.

beetle1234, Nov 27, 6:51am
The ole girl shut,s off without a hickup,just being a bitch to start when warm, I will do the tappets in the weekend and see where we go from there.Also will put some cleaner thru the fuel system.Do not want to hydraulic her cos she has been a faithful ole tart,not like my last 2 wives.

petermcg, Nov 29, 12:10am
Following along the lines of this answer, which seems to be on the mark. You need to consider what is happening to all your electrical parts when they get hot. A lot of resistence occurs in wires , connectors and things, so it could be your starter motor or any associated wiring to do with the starter. The starter might have significantly less power when Hot and would turn the motor over slower.

intrade, Nov 29, 12:26am
just do what i told you and post the result here. improofement no improofment ,

intrade, Aug 26, 1:19am
now that would be easy is it cranking faster when hot or slower? if faster then its not the starter simple