Cambelt problem

cassum, Nov 14, 9:10pm
Hi guys, about 2 years ago I bought a 2006 model car (from a registered dealer) at 100,000kms with all servicing complete with paper work. 20,000km and 2 years later the car breaks down. I get it towed to the workshop to find out what happened. The mechanic tells me two of the cambelt tensioners looks like they hadn't been changed causing one to leak and therefore the cambelt and all other bits and pieces to die.
I have an invoice from the dealer saying the cambelt and all other bits and pieces had been changed.
Do I have a case here for possible compensation for the potentially large costs involved? Any advice would be appreciated.

tgray, Nov 14, 9:18pm
Proof from dealer it had been changed, 9 year old car, 2 years and 20,000k later.

tgray, Nov 14, 9:23pm
Sorry, your reply relates to a question I just deleted saying does the invoice from the dealer show the tensioners had been changed.
You replied yes, so do you think they should be responsible?

cassum, Nov 14, 9:26pm
I bought the car with the impression the cambelt had been done properly when it actually wasn't. So I'm just wondering whether it's likely I'd be able to recoup the costs for the repair, or just wear the cost to repair.

floscey, Nov 14, 9:28pm
Getting the invoice is easy .You just buy the bits and return the tensioners and expensive bits for credit and bill the customer ( show the customer the parts invoice). I see this done on a weekly basis and comment to my boss every time " i bet they charge the customer for everything" . Some guys are just coming in asking for the cambelt stickers .Nice cheap and easy job applying the sticker. I am often asked to quote a job less the expensive "hydraulic tensioners" Good workshops would never take the gamble .As for car dealers . well umm.
I have an engraver i mark our hydraulic tensioners with to avoid arguments and catch out dodgy warranty claims.
Will be hard to prove and unfortunately it happens a lot.

franc123, Nov 14, 9:34pm
Leaking belt tensioner? There must be a hydraulic one involved, the bearings themselves are grease lubricated and sealed, all are changed together as a rule. I'd be questioning whether genuine parts were used, IF they were changed at all, I'd wager they were not and there is dodgy stuff about. Good luck with the negotiations after that amount of time.

jmma, Nov 14, 11:02pm
What have you had done in the 20,000km 2 years?

kiwitrader43, Nov 15, 5:10am
What make, model and mileage now.
Dealers usually only spray silicone over everything under the bonnet and infer that work may possibly have been done.
Bearings in tensioners usually last for 100 kms. Less when belts are incorrectly tensioned.

tony9, Nov 15, 5:27am
What was the response from the dealer when you politely asked them for help?

marte, Oct 16, 8:30am
Good MAN!